Fisheye

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Bytes
Round Winner

Fisheye

Post by Bytes »

Is there a way to get incam to 'fisheye' already?
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Linux - X windows, problem with multible screens

Post by delinquent »

http://svn.openqa.org/fisheye/browse/se ... y.js?r=448

Might work with a bit of tweaking. Very power consuming though.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Wrong link? This is just a source browser called fisheye viewing a completely irrelevant file.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Bytes must hope it'll blow up anything that gets near the camera. I'm sorry to report that it won't even begin to inflate anything.

I wonder what kind of projection would work for the incam. Cylindrical makes sense for tron, but it might be more awkward than an azimuthal projection.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

The idea was that you got some sideview in as well as front, while still keeping the incam feel of it
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Fisheye

Post by Z-Man »

Split.

The cockpits support rear view mirrors. I bet that with the right kind of tweaks, you can turn them into left/right side window views that give you better overview.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

What about just allowing FOV to apply to incam?
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

epsy wrote:Wrong link? This is just a source browser called fisheye viewing a completely irrelevant file.
Bollocks, yes. Alas, I've lost it now. The correct repo was the result of a google search for "fisheye overlay", around four to five pages in (I show 100 results per page).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:What about just allowing FOV to apply to incam?
That's already the case. But you can't make it over 180 and if you get close, the area you usually see at fov 90 only gets a tiny bit of screen space in the middle.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Meh, duh.

I didn't realise it when I double-checked yesterday in a local game because I was looking for the same fisheye-like effect that a wide FOV does produce using smartcam, while in incam...well, a strange thing happens. Depending on whether you start the round with incam or you switch to it (as I did in local yesterday) you get a different visual result. If you start with it, the view is more exaggerated. This even happens in 'TRON Experience' where the server cam is incam-only. Here are a couple screenshots, both at FOV 160 to exaggerate the effect. The first is right at the start of the round, server incam; the second is simply pressing the 'switch view' key a couple seconds later (as you can see from the countdown). Eh?
screenshot_3.png
screenshot_4.png
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, that's simply the clamping to FOV 120 that is done whenever you press a camera control key (a little too often, it would just need to be done if you zoom out, or not often enough, it would need to be done at camera initialization time, too); you can't make it higher in the menus and when you change values outside of menu bounds in the console, strange things are bound to happen. I'll up that limit and rearrange the checks.