Server settings

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
teen
Round Winner

Server settings

Post by teen »

I am trying to develop a new game mode but it is a little complicated. I am still thinking about it. It consists of players "gaining levels" or since this is tron it would be gaining lives or even more rubber.

The problem is I don't know if it is possible for a server to allow 2 people with 2 different rubbers or different wall_lengths. Basically anything that can be differentiated between two players in one server would greatly help. Is it possible?

My idea was to basically allow two teams with one objective might be to capture the home base of another team like fort but instead of having the same normal fort physics, after every kill you gain experience like rubber or wall length or a lower cycle_delay. I got the idea from fort onslaught were the players gain lives after every 2 kills.

I know it sounds ridiculous but i thought i would give it a shot.

p.s sorry i dont know if this was placed in the right section :/
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Server settings

Post by Z-Man »

teen wrote:The problem is I don't know if it is possible for a server to allow 2 people with 2 different rubbers or different wall_lengths. Basically anything that can be differentiated between two players in one server would greatly help. Is it possible?
Player dependent rubber could be possible server side (though it will confuse the clients a little), but the wall length is fixed. You could try to hack the server so that it lays down the walls differently so they appear to have different length on the clients, but that won't work perfectly: if you go straight for a long time, for instance, the appearance of your wall is purely determined by the client.
Anyway, neither is currently in the code. The rubber thing would be easiest to hack in, there is a central function a cycle calls to determine how much rubber it has (it already depends on the player via CYCLE_PING_RUBBER), you'd just need to plug your extra logic in there.