Input delay experiment

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
gss
Average Program

Post by gss »

I was under the assumption that su_GetSDLInput was called at a regular time interval. So, since the timer didn't work, I just put a counter into the function and figured that would be good enough.

My code works fine, as my inputs are in fact delayed, but the delay seems to be a bit inconsistent. I can detect a large variance in how much the inputs are delayed. This makes me think the function is not called at a regular time interval; so using Time(), if enabled, wouldn't work reliably either. :(

Is inside su_GetSDLInput the wrong place to pull my delayed turns out of the Q?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's probably a bad idea after all to use that Timer() function there. Use tSysTimeFloat() instead (warning, it returns a double.... ). Time() is the current game time and is reset to zero at the beginning of each round.

Edit: the function is the perfect place to delay all input. It's indeed called more often at times; specifically, it's called in loops as long as the return value is true to empty the event queue completely (don't want to process just one event per frame).
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

gss wrote:That's pretty much what I want to drill down on. I'm guessing 100ms is reasonable and 200 ms is unreasonable. The big question is, does everybody feel the same way, or does the line where reasonable and unreasonable meet move around for different observers... and if so, by how much.
It really depends on what you're doing, but if you're pushing it with fast games 100 ms is a pretty long delay. I found that even an LCD response time difference where both LCDs have a significant response in well under 100 ms makes a noticeable difference in my play. When I switched to the faster LCD after a while on the slower one things suddenly 'just worked', which explains why I felt the opposite when playing with the slower one. This is reaction time; I think timing isn't affected as much.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
gss
Average Program

Post by gss »

Jonathan wrote:... if you're pushing it with fast games 100 ms is a pretty long delay ...
My initial tests agree with you. My cycle starts to feel sticky at around 30-35 ms forced input delay.

Questions I need to find answers to:

1) What is the max latency between hitting a key and registering that as an event in the SDL functions. (I'm using linux)

2) How long does it take between deque'ing the turn from my delay Q to getting a rendered frame out of my graphics card.

Adding those numbers to the frame latency through my LCD should give me my worst case input latency.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

gss wrote:1) What is the max latency between hitting a key and registering that as an event in the SDL functions. (I'm using linux)
I have noticed that that part can really mess up on Mac OS X. Not just SDL, but any input between the hardware and final software. More load, lower framerates and more simultaneously 'active' inputs all contribute to it. Turning keyboard repeat off helps a bit when keys are pressed. Both latency and time between updates increase. I suspect this only happens on Mac OS X, and it's one of the main reasons I don't see it as a gaming platform. I'd be interested to get a confirmation that other platforms don't suffer from this, or that I'm not the only one to notice this problem.
gss wrote:2) How long does it take between deque'ing the turn from my delay Q to getting a rendered frame out of my graphics card.
Setting swap mode to finish should prevent the GPU from queueing multiple frames for faster framerates but slightly larger latency (older versions without the setting always act like finish). In that case the delay shouldn't exceed one to two frames.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
gss
Average Program

Post by gss »

Hmmm... hadn't occurred to me before to test the difference between windowed and fullscreens modes. I was in a 1024x768 window before.

At fullscreen, my tolerance jumps about 10ms to 40-45ms.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I found a good example of what some TFT displays apparently do (called input lag??): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2OE6hSh00. You might want to take that into account if you try to get absolute numbers.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, it's an obscure marketing trick. What counts in marketing is the time it takes for pixels to switch color. For a while, the "overdrive" technology has been around where, to achieve faster switches, they apply more voltage to the display than would be required to switch to the new color to give the crystals an extra "kick" so they get moving. Apparently, to get even shorter switch times, some manufacturers now delay the displayed image one or two frames so they can shape the voltage signal in an optimal way. Of course, you'll get one or two frames of extra delay, which isn't bad for video playback, but very bad for games. Buying a new monitor has gotten more complicated again :(

The display brightness has also a surprising effect on the felt latency; our eyes process brigher signals faster, so a dim display will add "eye lag". I experienced this firsthand just yesterday when I dug out my old CRT monitor and hooked it up, hoping for better game experiences. Unfortunately, it has gotten rather dim over the years, not to mention other defects and quirks of 12+ years old monitors.
gss
Average Program

Post by gss »

I am taking this into account. My LCD monitors (Dell 2001FP) seem to be on the slow end, if random research pages on the net can be trusted. Supposedly the processing lag is around 55-76ms. Other LCD's are much faster, some might be a bit slower. CRT's are much faster.

To z-man's point, the advertised input latency of the Dell 200FP is 16ms. I guess the term 'input latency' is the term with the loose definition.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

z-man wrote:Of course, you'll get one or two frames of extra delay, which isn't bad for video playback, but very bad for games.
Until you add uncorrected audio to the video. Leading audio supposedly increases tension, and I can imagine some people would notice the timing difference itself.
z-man wrote:The display brightness has also a surprising effect on the felt latency; our eyes process brigher signals faster, so a dim display will add "eye lag".
I notice that when I dim my backlight a lot in the dark, with some bright things like status LEDs and street lights present (pupil dilation should be enough to counter it if it gets a chance).
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

interesting idea...
can i ask why you wish to introduce intentional lag...?
what's the ultimate goal?
will it have application wrt networked games?

i have my guesses
but it would be nice to know...
hold the line
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

To add some input: I noticed that games felt rather sluggish in Mac PCSX but could adjust to it without too much trouble. When I measured the keyboard input → video output delay it turned out to be on the order of 1/5 second!
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Code hunter
Average Program

Post by Code hunter »

hmm interesting XD