4 Team Fortress Map

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If you don't have the WINGMEN setting modified, then it is a bug in the code. I'll experiment with your map on my server.

I attached a version of the script I'm currently using, slightly modified. The script has to run from within the data directory, so that var/players.txt is the player stats file. Furthermore, you need to add

Code: Select all

include everytime_switch.cfg
To your everytime.cfg, this loads the configuration. Replace "sumo" and "fortress" with the names of your two configuration files; unmodified, it will tell the server to include "sumo.cfg" when less than four players are online and "fortress.cfg" when six or more are playing. The grep filter makes sure my AIs aren't counted as players.
One caveat: make sure that your two config files have ALL settings the way you want them; for example, I had it that fortress.cfg set the maximum number of teams to 2, but sumo.cfg forgot to raise it to 16 again. The result was that the first sumo sessions worked, but when a switch to fortress and back to sumo happened, only two could play.
A quirk in all released versions is that players.txt is written to too late. All changes the script makes will come one round later than desired.
Attachments
switchconf.not.zip
configuration switch based on player count.
(976 Bytes) Downloaded 251 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

There you go, the spawn point driving start directions were... peculiar :) Here's a correction.

<Spawn  x="255" y="50"  xdir="0"        ydir="1"        />
                                <Spawn  x="245" y="450" xdir="0"        ydir="-1"       />
                                <Spawn  x="50"  y="245" xdir="1"        ydir="0"        />
                                <Spawn  x="450" y="255" xdir="-1"       ydir="0"        />
Side note: I'd rather not have all those settings in the map file. It makes it quite unflexible. I had to modify the map instead of my settings to increase the AI player count.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

z-man wrote:Yeah, the main problem with multi-team fortress is that it isn't fun with less than two players on every team; one player has to stay back and guard the zone, because unlike on two team fortress, attacking the other guy does not protect your own zone from attacks from the other teams. So I'd only activate this map once more than 8 players are online.
Yes. that's because all non-owners are attackers. On is always 1 vs 3 while on the defense.

One way to tip the odds a bit would be to give a benefit to your zone for one of the other team, making them an indirect ally.

The benefit can take many form, such as "kill one of them if your zone is conquered" (not so much a benifit but a consequence to avoid), or "if they spend some time in that zone, they actually are able to respawn dead teammates". This give them a real reason to come and lend a hand defending your zone, evening the confrontation.

While it is working in the latest development code, its still a PITA * as it requires players to have specific names (I havent had time to fix that yet), and I've come to realise that some players are just not inclined to change their name, even for game play reason ;)

But overall, the everybody agains us problem encountered when multiple teams are present should soon have a solution.

-ph

PITA : Pain In The "Uranus"
Canis meus id comedit.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Z-Man: I fixed the spawn points, but wasn't able to download that thing. It says

Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Read the file name aloud, if that helps you get it.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

/me is a dumbass!!!! :D LOL I'm dumb. Ok so ed told me to open it as a text file...hope this works.