4 Team Fortress Map

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

4 Team Fortress Map

Post by DDMJ »

I made a map so you can now play fortress with 4 teams. I added 2 zones and spawn points onto Z-Man's original fortress map. I inluded all the settings so all you have to type is the map_file name. The name is Durka/fortress/4_team_fortress-0.0.1.aamap.xml but I haven't put it on the site yet so you won't be able to play it as of right now. It says I need to register to get on the site and I don't know how. Can someone help me? The map is attached to this message.

P.S. This is my first map and I've checked it a bunch of times and it works perfectly :D
Attachments
4_team_fortress-0.0.1.aamap.xml
Here's the map!
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Hmm...I just heard that Lucifer had already made this kind of map...but whatever. It took like a minute to make anyways.
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Post by Lucifer »

I don't think I've made a 4-team fortress map that's square.

To be honest, without looking at it, I'm thinking we should consider adding this to the game distribution itself (if we don't already have one), because it would be very useful. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:I don't think I've made a 4-team fortress map that's square.

To be honest, without looking at it, I'm thinking we should consider adding this to the game distribution itself (if we don't already have one), because it would be very useful. :)
http://beta.armagetronad.net/resource-b ... .aamap.xml ?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

The only problem that I'm thinking about the map is that if you want there to be 2 players on each team, you need 8 people in the game. That's fine because their will be one defender and one attacker. But, the hard part is when there are 3-4 ppl per team. That means there will have to be 12-16 ppl in the game and that's where lag kicks in. Or course, if we could get a server up that could host that many people comfortably, like Bugfarm did, then there would be no problem. I could make a triangular 3 team fortress map, but that gets a bit funky, or I could just take a zone out of this map to make it 3 teams. Whatever works. My clan has a server running 24/7 and I'm going to load the map as the default one there. I will experiment and see how people like it. I wasn't sure what to do regarding the points. I figured that the team that survived last would get more points then if a team just conquered a zone. I made the ratio 2:1 (8 16) I didn't want to do 5 and 10 cuz or 10 and 15 because then odd numbers would be involved and I would like to keep it simple. Anyways, I'll see what people like. Meanwhile, I need it to get on the armagetron resource site so I can put it in my server.
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Post by Lucifer »

Actually, if you want it to be 3 teams, just limit the number of teams and set 1 zone per owner (I forget the exact settings) and the extra zones will collapse. So a 4 team map that has them on the edges of a plus sign (rather than z-man's where the zones are on the points of a square) would be the same as the 2-team map, but you need some extra settings to make it work that way.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

nemostultae wrote:
Lucifer wrote:I don't think I've made a 4-team fortress map that's square.

http://beta.armagetronad.net/resource-b ... .aamap.xml ?
Nemostultae: that's a similar map to mine. The difference is that each team starts heading towards the zone to the left of them. That is the way they are pointed at the beginning of the round. There is no middle clash of the differenct teams. Also, each of the zones is close to 2 walls. My map is just like the regular fortress map, but with 2 extra zones at the middle of the side walls. Behind the zones is only one wall. If everyone kept going straight, they would meet in the center of the map. Just like regular fortress, but with 2 more teams.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

There was a problem with the old map regarding the team config. Here's the new map. It doesn't have the include examples/cvs_test/fortress_complete.cfg line in it. I think that was the problem.
Attachments
4_team_fortress-0.0.2.aamap.xml
Updated version
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Hmmmm.....There seems to be a problem with the map settings when it comes to the teams. With 4 players (1 per each team) everything works perfectly. I was able to put some of my bots on also and I had 8 players in the game. It said that there were 2 players per team, but every round, only 6 played. It was like the same 2 players were "sitting out." I don't exactly know what to change in the code. Any help?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Here's an image of the map:
Attachments
Map Preview
Map Preview
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, the main problem with multi-team fortress is that it isn't fun with less than two players on every team; one player has to stay back and guard the zone, because unlike on two team fortress, attacking the other guy does not protect your own zone from attacks from the other teams. So I'd only activate this map once more than 8 players are online.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Ya that's a very good point Z-Man. I still don't know what's wrong with the map code and why some people don't spawn. Actually, I think they do spawn, but do so outside of the level and are immediately killed. But then sometimes they spawn in the right place. I'm gonna make a 3 team fortress map with 4 axes. See how everything works.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I suspect the spawning problems we observed (only one player per team spawend) were caused by a messed up formation; players that spawn way outside the arena get deleted immediately. Did you play with SPAWN_WINGMEN_*?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

I don't even have that setting in my map file. The thing is people would sometimes spawn next to a teammate while others will spawn outside the play area. Any suggestions to do with SPAWN_WINGMEN and where to put that. This is my first map so I don't know that much. Should I put it as a setting. Like put <Setting name="SPAWN_WINGMEN" value="some number" / >?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

What's the default setting in Bugfarm for SPAWN_WINGMEN? Also, how did you change the settings from Sumo to Fortress depending upon the amount of people in the game. This may be complicated and confusing, but I'm thinking of making the server go like this: 1-2 people-Sumo 3-5 people-2 team Fortress 6-7 people-3 team Fortress 8-16 people-4 team Fortress (or something similar like 6-11 people-3 team fortress and 12-16 people-4 team fortress).