Microsoft - Free Development System

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Microsoft - Free Development System

Post by Z-Man »

Microsoft is giving away "Express Editions" of their newest iteration of IDEs for free. See here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
I'm carefully reading the EULA to see if you're required to sign with your blood somewhere :)

(It's reasonable for a platform provider to give out development tools for the platform for free, so I don't expect too many strings attached. There is no distribution restriction of the compilation result as it seems.)

I'll try to build AA with it and report back.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Grr. Activation required whithin 30 days. Activation requires Passport. Z-Man violently opposes Passport. Z-Man angry. :evil:

But they say on the registration FAQ that if you can't activate the installation, you can download a full installation CD ISO and that won't require later activation. I'll do that tomorrow.
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

Yes, Microsoft tend to release there products like this sometimes, as well as there betas, what gets me with the beta of VS I downloaded from Microsoft a while ago was, if you read the license it says something along the lines of "This product will refuse to start after a period of 60 days" or something along the lines of that. But it is good that Microsoft are doing things like this...

Small steps... small steps...

EDIT: ill stick to code::blocks for now :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Bwahahaha! Read this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... fault.aspx
A noble idea in principle, but look at the example.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Unprogrammers. :roll:
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Am I just sleepy? It didn't make any sense to me.

Other than I got the distinct message "Since Windows has soooo many buffer overrun exploits we figured we'd just rewrite the standard C library. You see, Microsoft is an expert at fixing buffer overrun exploits, we just can't find them, that's all." Not to mention the line about buffer overruns being a problem in lots of deployed code *cough* *cough*.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The point about the example is that strncpy already has buffer overrun protection build in via the maximal length parameter; the only way I have seen strncpy used is to pass the maximal size of the buffer there. Of course, another usage of strncpy would be to truncate strings to a length smaller than the available buffer, there the new function has some merit. It lifts the burden to do a "if ( buffersize >= desired_length )" test.
The smart tech writer wrote:If the incoming slmax parameter equals zero, the strncpy_s function will invoke an invalid parameter handler to indicate a run-time error. By default, this will terminate the program.
I really hope it checks a little more than that.

I have to admit I don't know what the "restrict" keyword is doing there, but since you manually need to pass the size of the buffer anyway, I suppose it's not doing much.

And yes, it's also about them DEPRECATING THE C STANDARD LIBRARY FUNCTIONS. But that's not funny.
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

If I start using a microsoft compiler, I will not be using /GS :D, Dont like the idea of having overhead from that. Seems so stupid, maybe the /GS option should be a tutorial on how write buffer overflow free code. ;)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Silly man, they can't write that tutorial because they don't know how to do it themselves.

It'd be nice if gcc supported the /gs flag though and did exactly that. Can GNU guys write buffer overrun-free code?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

Silly old man, anything that is developed under a GNU license that has a buffer overflow is fixed almost as fast as its released. After all, people want credit for fixing the problem as well as finding and exploiting it.

Edit: Its the open source way of life :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah right. Just making something open source means a thousand security experts will scan it for problems the minute it is released and who find all issues ten minutes later.</sarcasm>

Lucifer: there is something called "Hardened GCC" that does similar things. I consider the switch useful, too. I'll test whether the overhead really is negligible as they claim.

<opinion>The best way to avoid memory handling related security problems or other errors is not to use C style arrays or pointers to memory blocks. Use C++ containers, or even better, a managed language like Java, C# or Python</opinion>
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

My opinion:
- Know what you're doing, especially in C.
- Use something like Java if you need complex memory management and have no specific needs.
But this should be obvious, like much posted here.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

zman: No, what im saying is people can look into the code, find the problem and fix it.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

Good micosoft is not (really) supporting c/c++ in vista (I believe)... They've got no clue...

I agree on the 'use java' bit: C/C++ are powerful, but dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I am currently avoiding java and c#, but only because i have learned to have 'public static void main'... python r0x tho
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

Zman: Ah, sorry I should have made myself more clear, by released I was referring to the bug.