Which game modes have you always dreamed of ?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
joda.bot
Match Winner

Which game modes have you always dreamed of ?

Post by joda.bot »

Question: Which game modes have you always dreamed of ?

Example: One new game mode can be tested on the "Fortress" server (it's like Capture-The-Flag). This will be available in ArmagetronAd 2.8 (AFAIK)

But I'd also like to hear any really complex or crazy ideas ;)

How about tournament support ? How should it work ?
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

-team respawn
A team has up to N player, and a budget of M spawn, where N<= M. When a player dies, if there is a respawn available, then the player is given another change to fight on the grid. Otherwise, its death as usual.

- Big bash
A round is terminated only after a certain time. Dead player are re-spawn x secons after death. x can be 0. Its just a big bash like many FPS modes. Might be that player reappear at certain locations (spawn point), might be that they appear at any random location.

- Multiple life
Each individual has x respawn per round.

Do you smell "team number of spawn" and "individual number of spawn"? ;)

pedantic note: fortress isn't a mode. its just a slightly more complex condition to generate a team win event.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

A server in which there is a Zone in the center that spawns randomly, now this zone would not be an ordinary Zone, it will change from red to green, green meaning that the player who enters this zone will be given the ability to use there brake as a booster and given a little extra rubber as well. The opponents of this player will also have there rubber and speed changed, but not to there advantage, as the two former will be reduced.

After this player has entered the zone it will either randomly choose to disappear or change to a red zone. This red zone will reduce the speed and acceleration of the player who enters it, and then disappear.

Just an idea that popped into my head.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

3d cube style game (left/right/up/down)

(I had a lot of fun playing knot in 3d on the zx-spectrum 48K which has this game style)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Hmmm... Tough one... I'd like to see a version where only I can win :P
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

how about king of the hill?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom wrote:how about king of the hill?
Gets my vote on what to implement next (in this direction). Respawn at the outer rim, hill is in the middle. Ideally, the hill should be moving around (it's too easy to camp). Ooo, drool. We so need scripting.

I am constantly dreaming of some form of perpetual KO tournament mode. It'll be something like this:
A regular KO tournament starts. If there are 2^N players, the tournament has N rounds. In each round, pairs of players are formed and put into a separate room. There, they battle it out. The winner proceeds to the next round. The loser drops out of this tournament and starts in the next one that starts as soon as there are contestants available. What I have not yet figured out would be the best way to make it so that there is not too much waiting, while still making the game fair.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ummmm, polo? ;)

Also, race down the hill without walls, and with a custom light cycle model that looks like a penguin.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

z-man wrote:I am constantly dreaming of some form of perpetual KO tournament mode. It'll be something like this:
A regular KO tournament starts. If there are 2^N players, the tournament has N rounds. In each round, pairs of players are formed and put into a separate room. There, they battle it out. The winner proceeds to the next round. The loser drops out of this tournament and starts in the next one that starts as soon as there are contestants available. What I have not yet figured out would be the best way to make it so that there is not too much waiting, while still making the game fair.
Its a tournament, there is bound to be waiting. The players know that, and I don't think they will mind very much. Don't worry about them waiting so much, it's only a 5 minute wait (approx) anyway, so why trash a good idea over it?
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's not "trashing a good idea", it's "identifying limitations". From there you can reasonably determine when a certain thing is useful and appropriate. :)

I dont' think a regular internet server would do well like this unless there were some way for players to play concurrently, like on special maps with many fields, or if the game could copy the fields on-the-fly to make maps it can put the other players on. Then it wouldn't be any different than what we have, except that you'd be paired differently. That would be cool.

Alternately, the same logic could be used for special tournaments rather than a full-time leisurely game server, possibly with prize money attached. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Zero or negative cycle_accel, no brakes or boosters, though that wouldn't really qualify as a "game mode," I don't suppose. Otherwise, I don't personally have much interest in other modes, since that'd make it a different game altogether and I still like the traditional Light Cycle deal (redundant harp). I do like the idea of implementing a roving Recognizer, however. Actually, I may have had some other idea, but I forgot it for the time being.

Other than that, as I've briefly mentioned in passing elsewhere, I have some idears for the single-player game that I think might be appealing, but I'll get on that later, maybe in a different topic.
Last edited by Phytotron on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Mabye wed do Z-Mans idea, but have an extra map where all dead players would be teleported to play until their next round, where they would instantly be teleported there.

The new place would be unlimited lives, no score, etc. You just respond when you die. There everyone can play concurrently, and still see whos the best in the tourny.
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I like the idea of king of the hill, but game logic for that could be tricky...
microbus
Core Dumper

Post by microbus »

I'm going to be having nightmares about penguins :o
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

microbus wrote:I'm going to be having nightmares about penguins :o
tux racer