Bring back classic sumo

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Bring back classic sumo

Post by Titanoboa »

Disclaimer: this is a completely spontaneous post. I was gonna play some sumo, but there's nobody on, so I'll use my free time writing this post instead. :)

So, sumo is pretty dead isn't it? Fort too, in extension. You don't often see the usual suspects online anymore (that's an understatement), and the few times you do see a new guy give sumo a go he usually gives up rather quickly, because it's too difficult. I'm not saying sumo hasn't always been difficult. I remember it being overwhelming during my first few weeks on this game.

The sumo bar emerged when people got good at mazing and didn't get a kick out of having just 4 people compete for the zone. And, yeah, when you have a bunch of good players playing the game, it's more fun with them all in one place rather than spread out. The sumo bar is a pretty great idea. But now the people for whom this mode is designed are not playing anymore. Why that is is another discussion.

Ok, I'm gonna go watch a series or something instead of turning this post into an essay. My message is: let's put up some stable classic sumo servers. I'm talking about 4 zones with 4 spawnpoints each for individual play. Think evaldusia's sumo. And CTOS/IDTS settings for team play. Team sumo used to be very popular - heck, when I put up a server not long ago it was still very popular. It even competed with the sumo bars once populated, although I had to be in the server for it to fill up in the first place.

Does anybody agree?
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Bring back classic sumo

Post by Ratchet »

I'm definitely not opposed. I'd enjoy having traditional sumo servers back (especially team sumo).

I'm sure the problem lies in the last bit you said, though. It is too hard for servers to "take off" so to speak. It's hard to reach always-played status.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I can see your point. But, two servers that were recently up, and how poorly they were used should serve as a cautious example. About 8 months ago, I put up a Wild West TeamSumo, which was the same as IDTS. In the 6 months it was up, it was used maybe 4 or 5 times. Literally less than once a month. I have since changed that server into Wild West TeamSumoBar, and it is used 2-3 nights a week (think 3am to 5am GMT, so in the middle of most Euros nights) and players rave about it.
Agility put up a regular Sumo server about this past summer. Once again, it was really ignored, and I think that is why Agility took it down.
If you and others will actually use it, I will gladly put up a Wild West Sumo server. Just confirm back to me. Honestly, I prefer good ole' regular sumo too.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

What compguygene said is exactly correct (in my opinion). It's not that we can't get someone to put these servers up. The problem is that not enough people are playing to occupy every server that is put up (and thus, if you want to play somewhere you must occupy the server until others join you).

We have probably well over 150 servers up right now and not near enough people to play in all of them. Heck, I'm sure there are some amazingly fun servers that never get played because they weren't created by someone who promoted them well. The trend has been more servers, less players.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah, CTOS is deeply missed.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I am familiar with the problem, and this thread is meant to rally players to agree to make a conscious change. Probably farfetched, but also totally doable.

compguy, I'm happy to hear that you're willing to contribute. Wild West is definitely capable of providing popular US servers in the long term. If I see a Wild West Sumo, as well as Team Sumo, I will make sure to play there. (Un)Fortunately, there's a severe lack of stable US sumo servers (well, one would really be enough).

So yeah, once this shows up on the server list, let's all help each other (and ourselves) out by promoting it. Both by simply using the server, and by mentioning it (without being idiots about it). :)

I suppose Empha's Sumo Bar is difficult to replace on the EU side, and I don't really see any reason to force a change there anyway. People love Empha's. However there is probably room for a Team Sumo server. CT: any chance you'd be willing to give CTOS a proper relaunch?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

This is an excellent candidate for an official server.

Just pointing that out. Not that we're far enough along to look at specific servers, but if someone were to have one running already....

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Lucifer, I thought we had ruled out Sumo for several reasons, most notably the criteria "must be able to live longer than 10 seconds"? (or something to that effect).

Certainly, I'm all for an "official" Sumo server, I'm just curious as to whether you were maybe kidding or serious :P

I'm personally not sure how quick new players are to catch on to sumo. I don't even think it existed when I started playing. By the time I tried sumo I was already well oriented in tron.
Word

Post by Word »

CTOS/team servers are somewhat exceptional to that condition I suppose. When you're in a team you're forced to work together so you get taught there more easily. Which reminds me, if you're going to bring that server back from the dead, better make sure the /lock and /invite commands are disabled.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

BTW CTOS should be up (if i started the right one)
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

kyle wrote:BTW CTOS should be up (if i started the right one)
Seeing this, I opened tron to find that there are already 3 players in there.
Excellent, thanks :)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Check out the master list. Wild West Sumo is back. Hosted by Echo. It is classic sumo, just the original config.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Word wrote:CTOS/team servers are somewhat exceptional to that condition I suppose. When you're in a team you're forced to work together so you get taught there more easily. Which reminds me, if you're going to bring that server back from the dead, better make sure the /lock and /invite commands are disabled.
They are now disabled
Word

Post by Word »

thanks for taking care of that, kyle!
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

CTOS has been active since you put it up, and there's been a lot of positive reactions from the crowd.

I've been in the Ww classic sumo but haven't stayed long enough for anyone to join me. As a sidenote I think just naming it Sumo (rather than Classic Sumo) would be better, but that's a matter of taste of course.