AAmap Editor 0.2

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Durf
Match Winner

AAmap Editor 0.2

Post by Durf »

A new server!

I worked on this instead of finishing Melodious Tron.
Gotta thank Nelg for hosting these servers for me.

As the title suggests, this is a map editor for 0.2 versions only (sty+ct compatible using the sty.dtd).
I have plans to make a 0.4 versions that makes good use of zonesV2 but until then, this will have to do.
(walls added in are drawn with multiple little zones to simulate a wall in the 0.2 version)

Onto what's cool about it:
- It's in game! You never have to leave a full screen game to make a new map!
- Collaborate with friends! Multiple people can edit at once (Lead editor controls permissions)
- In server testing! Switch between edit mode and a test mode.
- It's easy to use! ...sorta; read the topics listed "/help" like "/help howto". It should be fairly straightforward.

Feel free to post any questions, comments, suggestions, etc.
Let me know if a better tutorial is needed on how to use it; I'll post it here.
Hope you guys enjoy my latest creation ;D
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: AAmap Editor 0.2

Post by Light »

I haven't checked it out, but this is an awesome idea. If I thought of it before, I would have done it. lol All I can say is I love the idea and hope you did it right. I'll check it out sometime.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

You might want to tell people what server it is.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Durf wrote:
/dev/null wrote:You might want to tell people what server it is.
I thought I was bad lol.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

As a suggestion, I think you should also allow admin commands.
Not all of them, just some of the fun ones.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@Light: Coolio, lemme know what you think when you get the chance to give it a go.

@/dev/null: I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean :s

@ConVicT: Lol....I don't get it ... xD I'm not even sure what to say about it.

If any settings are required for a map file, they can be included in the file with the /set and /unset commands.
All the usual settings used in a map file are allowed. (/help explains how to use the commands)

If all you want to do is have fun with admin commands; I made a server specifically for that purpose:
The server where everyone is admin, just log in and go! (@forums preferred, some others allowed)
slap kick rename silence change cycle speed rubber delay arena axes map file etc...
To be perfectly honest, I haven't checked on that server for far too long. There may be certain issues with it, but for the most part it should allow you to use practically all the admins commands just by logging in.
Also be sure to check out the /help topics. There lots in there, like listing all the commands, and some presets you can include that change game type and/or map.

. . . . .

The map editing server is nifty (imo), but I don't usually (more like never) play on 0.4; I think the map editing server idea would be much better if it made use of the zonesV2 (the polygonal zones would more effectively represent precise walls, such as in racing maps). The problem is that would limit the users that are able to use the server. So the 0.2 version is a more compatible version (though less precision when representing walls with zones) and I hope it suits everyone's needs... Hopefully someone will want to host a 0.4 version so people could have a choice between compatibility and wall precision (+ 0.4 features).

Anyone who tries out the editor, please post here and let us all know if you found it useful, and anything that you think could make this more user friendly and/or more noob friendly.