Just an idea

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
.Lightning
On Lightcycle Grid

Just an idea

Post by .Lightning »

A lot of talk lately has been about trying to expand game types. I was just brain storming and I'm not sure if this idea has ever been created or not, but what about a Fortress physics one-center flag game type. The flag could already be pre-spawned in the middle of the map or it could be after so many seconds and the two center players would have to battle for the space to get it when it appears. The beginning of the round would be the same as a regular fortress match along with the zones. There would be two objectives to the game to receive extra points. You could either (depending on which would work better after testing) a) bring the flag back to your own zone, which could cause difficulty messing with your own defense or b) having to bring the flag to the opponents zone. I personally think the idea of having to bring it to your opponents zone would be better, because it would give the flag holder's team an advantage to receive even more points than just capturing. This would cause the non-flag holder's team to become more defensive to try and recover the flag and bring it to their side.

There has been talk about getting or losing more/less points through holing and conquering, and the flag could be a way to get some extra points even if you do lose. Again, this is just an idea I brainstormed in about a couple minutes so the idea might be a bit sloppy, but I think it could work.

Opinions?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Just an idea

Post by sinewav »

Fox Hunt was a Hold-the-Flag game with default physics. There are issues with the game you propose and I don't think it can be done even in ZonesV2, but maybe someone else can tell you better. Also, the problem isn't the game or the game modes (though the adventurous spirit is missing from the player base), but how to keep the new players in the game.

Assuming there is a small trickle of players that make it online after downloading Armagetron, where do they go and how do you keep them playing. Worry about "converting" them to Fort/Sumo players later. A complex game like you propose would not be the ideal server for a new player. Something closer to Dogfight would.
Last edited by sinewav on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Lightning
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by .Lightning »

There's no way to get one flag inside an area that appears once and dissapears once it's taken inside a zone or even another special zone inside the teams zone? Capture the flag has a base along with a flag. It would be similar, just the flag wouldn't respawn and there wouldn't be two flags. I'm a very basic programmer and do not know what this game can or can not allow so I'm just looking for clarification.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

In a team game with zones I believe Arma decides who gets the flag based on proximity. I don't think the flag can have have zero owners until it gets picked up and then pass ownership to that team. Is it possible in ZonesV2? I have no idea, but a Zv2 server would be the experimental branch, which would present it's own problems.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

it'd be pretty easy with scripting
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

sinewav wrote:In a team game with zones I believe Arma decides who gets the flag based on proximity. I don't think the flag can have have zero owners until it gets picked up and then pass ownership to that team.
False, you can have a flag that has no owners setting "FLAG_TEAM 0". I remembered ed having a map on our wild CTF that flag can then be picked up by either team
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:False...
Neato. Is that regular sty or ct+sty?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

both of them have it.