New Gametype - Snake Survival

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

New Gametype - Snake Survival

Post by Light »

I'm not sure how much people will be into this idea, but it seems to be going over well in-game. Basically, it's just snake. The faster you get the "fruit", the more points you get for it. With each fruit you eat, your tail grows a little.

The server uses sumo settings.
It is single player.
To combat the downsides to it being single player, there are 3 servers available.

Note: All servers are set up to use the same database. No matter which server you get a score in, it will count in them all.

Server Names

Code: Select all

Light's Snake Survival East USA | Server: 1
lightron.org:4541

Light's Snake Survival East USA | Server: 2
lightron.org:4542

Light's Snake Survival East USA | Server: 3
lightron.org:4543
Scoreboards
There is a list of the top 3 players in the beginning of each round. If you play and score any points, it will show your rank once you die and it saves your score. There's also a list of the top 50 players on my server list if you click the ladder icon.

Server List
Top 50 Players

Maybe I could get a little feedback?
Thanks for reading! (:
Last edited by Light on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: New Gametype - Snake Survival

Post by ConVicT »

Totally stole my idea :lol:
You even quoted me on it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you made it cuz mine wasn't that great :D
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:Totally stole my idea :lol:
You even quoted me on it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you made it cuz mine wasn't that great :D
lol Actually, I got the idea from my zombie server, which already changed tail lengths depending on the number of people. You went around getting zones like this, but the thing I wanted to do special was using sumo settings to make it a survival server. Without that, snake by itself is pretty damn boring.

Now there's a highscore board and everything, so this could be fun. Someone just got over 400 points. Which means, Cody needs to come get #1 back. :P

I won't say you're not part of the reason I made it, but "snake" has been suggested to me so many times. It's not quite stealing your idea, but listening to what I've been told more times than I can count. I just never really bothered to put a lot of thought into coming up with something that would make it fun. I think I have now.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

1. Have a map with several boxes, so that more that one person can play at a time (in their own box)
2. Forbid all cams except for custom and fix it so it looks directly down onto the player
3. Instead of having the one speed, make the zones speed you up a little at a time as well as increasing your cycle_walls_length.
4. should the box (boxes, if you take my 1st and 3rd suggestions) not be a little bigger?
5. change the zone colours to something that doesn't look as if it's gonna kill ya :)

Hope that's good feedback :pacman: :sdot:
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:1. Have a map with several boxes, so that more that one person can play at a time (in their own box)
The settings cannot be set per each player, so this would not work. To solve this, there are 3 servers up to play on, and all of them are linked together as far as scores go.
ConVicT wrote:2. Forbid all cams except for custom and fix it so it looks directly down onto the player
I can't see people liking that idea. Everyone is free to set up a new camera however they wish, which you can change with a command in-game. Forcing people to use a certain camera, especially in a gametype like sumo, I can't see going over well.
ConVicT wrote:3. Instead of having the one speed, make the zones speed you up a little at a time as well as increasing your cycle_walls_length.
4. should the box (boxes, if you take my 1st and 3rd suggestions) not be a little bigger?
I'm not sure why you would speed it up and make a bigger map. That seems to make it kind of pointless to me. But, I wanted the map to be small for a reason. You can still last for quite a while in there, but it's resembling the survival servers. So, the more you collect, the longer your tail grows, and the harder it is to survive. I don't think speeding people up would be necessary. I like it having a sumo feeling, and that would change it too much IMO.
ConVicT wrote:5. change the zone colours to something that doesn't look as if it's gonna kill ya :)
I was thinking about this. People seem to be scared to touch them, even though there's a message saying that's what you do. The point of it was that the snake is supposed to be eating apples, but people see red and avoid it. I think it's something people will get used to though. It's not too hard to figure out when nothing is happening except that zone sitting there. Eventually, I think they'll touch it out of curiosity if they refuse to read the console message.
ConVicT wrote:Hope that's good feedback :pacman: :sdot:
Outside of flaming, pretty much all feedback is good feedback. It gives me an idea of what people think about it and what I could do to make it better for the majority of players.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

History: The first snake-like simulation in Arma required no scripting and worked in reverse; your trail got shorter if you didn't eat and eventually you would waste away to nothing and die.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 38#p206938

This new version is a nice recreation of the classic. Well done in creating a single-player game which actually helps people improve their camping skills.
Light

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:History: The first snake-like simulation in Arma required no scripting and worked in reverse; your trail got shorter if you didn't eat and eventually you would waste away to nothing and die.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 38#p206938
Sounds like a cool idea. The only scripting is used for is to make the "fruit" appear in a random location rather than preset locations, and to keep score. The scoring is set to provide a bonus to being fast, as well as keeps track of all the scores so we can have a little competition.
sinewav wrote:This new version is a nice recreation of the classic. Well done in creating a single-player game which actually helps people improve their camping skills.
Thanks, I think. When you say "camping skills", it sounds a little sarcastic, so not sure how I was supposed to take that. Either way, I think it really will help improve my ability to sumo, and maybe fort as well. Hopefully it's a good way to practice a little with a new idea to keep you entertained.

I may take that wrong due to our gametype differences. Since I grew up in HR then DF, camping is usually a negative word. So, sorry if I ruined a perfectly good compliment. :P
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well you took that well, Light.
That was clearly a dis as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

sinwav, you can be real A-hole sometimes. If anything, it makes players have a place to practice in tight spots (at the very least), but also gives you something to aim for whilst doing so. A very good challenge, and very good practice, and really good fun. Well done Light.

Anyway, sin, how would you know?
Oh, shit, you went in? Now he has your IP. :lol:
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:Well you took that well, Light.
That was clearly a dis as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

sinwav, you can be real A-hole sometimes. If anything, it makes players have a place to practice in tight spots (at the very least), but also gives you something to aim for whilst doing so. A very good challenge, and very good practice, and really good fun. Well done Light. :
It may not be though, since in sumo camping is a skill you do need to learn. So, I would rather know what he meant by it before I jump in to attack.
ConVicT wrote:Anyway, sin, how would you know?
Oh, shit, you went in? Now he has your IP. :lol:
We really don't need to start a fight here ..
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I know, sorry guys, I've had a bottle of wine, and I tend to say the first thing that pops into my mind when I drink alcohol. Feel free to ignore what I said.

Just hate when people are providing things that they don't have to, then people dis it for no reason.
And lately it's always sin disin' things, instead of being constructive. I can stay out of it. But he clearly said it with contempt :(
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Camping is an actual skill.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Just hate when people are providing things that they don't have to, then people dis it for no reason.
And lately it's always sin disin' things, instead of being constructive. I can stay out of it. But he clearly said it with contempt :(
Perhaps you should wait until you're sober before you write some crap, like most people do. It isn't really a big revelation that this is not the first server with settings like this.
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

This is very fun, especially with other players on the server. It would be nice though if conquered zones could collapse faster, they stay on the grid too long now and can be misleading. Other than that it's perfect, good job :)
Light

Post by Light »

pike wrote:It would be nice though if conquered zones could collapse faster, they stay on the grid too long now and can be misleading. Other than that it's perfect, good job :)
My problem with that is when I call COLLAPSE_ZONE it doesn't collapse the whole way. Then, when called again, it will collapse the rest. Setting TARGET_SURVIVAL_TIME very low just acted as a collapse, and still didn't go the whole way. If you call COLLAPSE_ZONE one after another, it only happens once.

My solution was to call COLLAPSE_ZONE on the previous 3 zones so you were collapsing your current and the last few. It seems to work until I can figure out why they wont simply collapse as I assume they should.
Nagi
Core Dumper

Post by Nagi »

excellent gametype, so much fun! thx for doing this! :)