Improving 1v1 Sumo

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Improving 1v1 Sumo

Post by Concord »

No one really likes 1v1 sumo. I mean I don't even really like it. It's kinda meh. On the other hand, it really stinks that we have no 1v1 mode that people like to play or play with any regularity. 1v1 has a type of psychology and competitiveness to it that games with more than 2 players lack. What do people think about 1v1 sumo and how can it be improved?
Light

Re: Improving 1v1 Sumo

Post by Light »

Honestly, I don't care for 1v1 in about any Armagetron gametype. You don't get any fast paced, thought out gameplay. I can't really think of any way to make it better, other than adding more people. I know, not what you wanted to hear, but it's the way I see it.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Personally, I dislike 1v1 sumo because of the whole [losing against someone who lost against someone you beat] thing. Outside of 1v1 kryptonites (mine is Titan), it's just really hard to gauge skill level with 1v1s. I'm not really sure it's something that can be improved upon, since it's just the intrinsic nature of the game mode.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

1v1 sumo is great imo, only because of the fact that I believe it gauges a persons skill level not only in survival but in decision making.. if u make a wrong move, you are ******.. Now, there are days when people play bad and yeah they lose to people they shouldnt or w/e.. but everyone has those.. i think Tour Sumo should be strictly 1v1 and we should have 1v1 tournaments based off of the top 16 or 32.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

1V1 sumo bores me to hell.

Two propositions to make it interesting:

1. start with a zone 3 times smaller.
2. start with already ****** up tail everywhere.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

As far as 1v1 sumo goes, it is really difficult to keep me entertained. Normally I just lose interest by the first or second round and end up losing when I possibly could have won. And lag has an even bigger impact there imo. I remember playing tour matches and losing 3 or 4 in a row due to lags near the very end, but that can go for most game types, especially sumo.

Maybe it's because I have a bad strategy, or maybe it is the fact I find it not entertaining. I don't know, I just don't think there's a way to "spice it up" and make it better because it doesn't actually evaluate overall skill, imo.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

I think it's just one of those things you either like or don't like. It doesn't really evaluate sumo skills, it evaluates 1v1 skills(who can not be bored to death)

No real way to fix it, although taks idea of starting it while you are already mixed in is interesting.
Light

Post by Light »

Soul wrote:No real way to fix it, although taks idea of starting it while you are already mixed in is interesting.
Well, you could do something like randomly generated wall pieces around the map. That could make it interesting, and a bit more challenging. Idk if you'd still call it sumo, but it would be about the same. Sadly, my first thought is that if it was fun, I'd wanna do it with more people. :/
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Soul wrote:I think it's just one of those things you either like or don't like. It doesn't really evaluate sumo skills, it evaluates 1v1 skills(who can not be bored to death)

No real way to fix it, although taks idea of starting it while you are already mixed in is interesting.
Yeah but then what does evaluate sumo skills?? I know there are matches i lose by 200.. but i have the most kills.. i know vov is the same way.. VOV gets most kills as well but still manages to lose.. why because we dont stay alive the whole time?? what determines sumo skill? i've always been confused on that one.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Soul wrote:I think it's just one of those things you either like or don't like. It doesn't really evaluate sumo skills, it evaluates 1v1 skills(who can not be bored to death)

Yeah but then what does evaluate sumo skills?? I know there are matches i lose by 200.. but i have the most kills.. i know vov is the same way.. VOV gets most kills as well but still manages to lose.. why because we dont stay alive the whole time?? what determines sumo skill? i've always been confused on that one.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Let me spell it out for you then, seeing as your little head doesn't understand: sumo is staying in the zone and surviving. It has nothing to do with killing.
Concord

Post by Concord »

sinewav, you have long called sumo luck. would you extend this claim to 1v1 as well?
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Vogue wrote:Let me spell it out for you then, seeing as your little head doesn't understand: sumo is staying in the zone and surviving. It has nothing to do with killing.
Wow, so mean! But no, u could win solely off of kills, i was a part of a tst earlier where the vast majority of my teams points came from kills., and if u get kills, it helps lead to survivng as well (so yes a part of sumo is surviving).. so kills are essentially also a major part of sumo as well.. Cause some people i.e me, dont just camp, we attack and win rounds that way.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Pay attention, Gazelle.
what determines sumo skill? i've always been confused on that one.
^what you asked

...sumo is being inside of the zone, surviving until you're the last wo/man standing. That's being truly good at sumo, and the complainers who want kills to have a bigger meaning (vov etc) misunderstand the concept of sumo.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Understood, and i dont recall ever asking for kills to be a bigger meaning, im more or so now, stating that to be the last wo/man standing in the zone u could use an attacking strategy to accomplish that feat, am i not correct? and for some it works rather well.

Now it depends on how well or lucky u get during that round to pickup these kills.. or if u are just having a bad day then yes an attacking strategy would fall short to someone who camps and gathers space.. but with the help of kills u could accumulate a higher score..

and i know i asked earlier what the definition of a skilled sumo player is, but now that i think about it, there could be many.