Lower the Rubber

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Lower the Rubber

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Overrated wrote:Are you asking to make it 1, 2, 3, 4? Somewhere in between? I'm willing to experiment with like, 2.5-3 area, but not sure if any lower.

Takes out a lot of the gameplay currently if you lower it by more than about 2 (double grind, centering, mazing/camping in a sumo zone).

Not sure, but I think lowering rubber would just make it so no one will attempt to be aggressive at all (defender's and attacker's the same.
You would probably need to tweek:

Code: Select all

CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME
CYCLE_RUBBER
CYCLE_DELAY
In ladle, a couple of people, trying double bind, already face terrible problem whenever someone closes the gab they need to go through. If the rubber were to decline any further, I'm sure the amount of actions someone can make will become harder.
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Lower the Rubber

Post by delinquent »

In regular fortress, I don't think it's feasible. I do, however, think there is merit for a new mode of fortress, with lower rubber and other altered settings. Perhaps I will look at the creation of one when Phoenix Myriad Fortress is online.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Tell me what you've got in mind and I'll put a test server up. Then I'll decide.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Ritsuka wrote:Tell me what you've got in mind and I'll put a test server up. Then I'll decide.
I was thinking something like this:

Rubber = 3
Speed = 30
Walls = 350
max players = 18

And cycle_turn_delay half of what it is in current fortress config.
Maybe speed could be increased by 5 too
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Please don't change cycle_turn_delay.

Also, I believe there is a setting (cycle_rubber_timebased or something?) that dictates whether the distance you are from the wall is determined by rubber used or the time spent grinding against it.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Ok, I put up a server, hosted in Virginia, USA for you guys to test this in. It is called "Low Rubber Fortress". Currently it is running current Ladle settings with only the following 2 changes.

CYCLE_RUBBER 3
CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED 60
I have tested these settings in the past in a Low Rubber server and people seemed to like them. Test them and tell me what you think.

Also, if anybody wants to have admin to play with the settings and report back, just ask. I will likely say yes.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Rubber to 3 seams reasonable, any mock tourney/ pickup time set where can test it out with a full server?
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Rubber 3 kinda works, I played it on Jip's server already. Needs a bit more brakes though imo to be still able to turn in tight spots ;)
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer wrote:Seems to me you don't need a petition, Concord, what you need is to setup a server and see how it does.
compguygene wrote:Ok, I put up a server, hosted in Virginia, USA for you guys to test this in. It is called "Low Rubber Fortress". Currently it is running current Ladle settings with only the following 2 changes.

CYCLE_RUBBER 3
CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED 60
I have tested these settings in the past in a Low Rubber server and people seemed to like them. Test them and tell me what you think.

Also, if anybody wants to have admin to play with the settings and report back, just ask. I will likely say yes.
Exactly my thoughts. Anybody that wants admin to lead the testing and tweak the settings, please speak up.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

mmm... very interesting results I got.

Although I couldn't talk in the video properly because I was paying more attention to the game than speaking, I would say I actually quite like the idea. At first I was all against it because I was unsure but now seeing a definite result, I'm sure it can work although probably keeping it separate from the normal fortress?

Anyway, here's the video I recorded of my findings: [Armagetron Advanced] low rubber fortress test

I would also recommend:

CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME 0.4
CYCLE_RUBBER_MINADJUST 0.001
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

There is now a low rubber skytower up with concord's settings. Let me know how it works, I couldn't test it yet.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Just so you have the same settings that are running on the Low Rubber Fortress Server, I am listing them here.

CYCLE_RUBBER 1
CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED 212
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME .3
CYCLE_RUBBER_TIMEBASED 1
CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE 0.05
The CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED and CYCLE_RUBBER_TIMEBASED settings are borrowed from Shrunkland. These 2 settings were not specified by Concord, but I added them because they make a huge difference in how the rubber refills and is used, particularly at 1 Rubber.
Fate
Average Program

Post by Fate »

Played a few matches in Zero's server wasn't a fan whatsoever, the problem i see with it is if your connection messes up even at the slightest your screwed. I also dont know if it's just me but my predict objects tended to predict wrong so i'd die and then see their line after im already gone. where as with 5 rubber when it predicts wrong i have a second to respond and change my direction. but idk if thats just mine or not.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

^ yep that comes from our monthly dues. Shoe charges us $5/mo to wear R tag.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Played at the skytower test server, the changes did not affect anything except you can not 180 in a tunnel and if you lag you're dead. And tunneling is more powerful right now because people don't know how to seal it at the moment but that will change right back to normal when they figure it out.
So, 180s and lags.
About 180s: Do you want to remove 180s because 2004 called you?
(just kidding btw, but funny coincidence indeed that you are a singlebinder and talk about the abuse of 180s... oh the conspiracies! :P)

About lags:
Fate wrote:if your connection messes up even at the slightest your screwed. I also dont know if it's just me but my predict objects tended to predict wrong so i'd die and then see their line after im already gone. where as with 5 rubber when it predicts wrong i have a second to respond and change my direction. but idk if thats just mine or not.
This. All these moments when you slide or your enemy approaches you with a huge lag-o-meter it is just luck who dies whereas with 5 rubber both will survive or the better one will be able to kill with less luck and more skill. Normal transatlantic ping is already too big now. All open field to semi-closed-quarters encounters I had in the sumo server ended up with either lucky lag or 2 people too scared of it and turning away.
I would really hate to see all fortress replaced with this. It works for sumo though given good pings and stable connections, but that's very idealistic.