new release suggestions

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Paizo

new release suggestions

Post by Paizo »

\o

I put some thing i think may be worth to add, some more useful some less (obviously it's only my opinion).
first, is armagetron still having an active development?

-pickup: what about handle pickup natively in the game? adding game types/servers, add up, in game notification when pickup starts and so on...

-log clean up: all that programmers stuff going on when looking for server, connecting to, new match/map; not everyone are a developer and care about it, that makes the game looks like an early version

-builtin single player tutorial maps for major game modes with focus on basics: what rubber is, double binds...

-automatic game updates

I hope that the above points are constructive
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Re: new release suggestions

Post by AI-team »

Paizo wrote:-pickup: what about handle pickup natively in the game? adding game types/servers, add up, in game notification when pickup starts and so on...
I doubt that this is ever going to be implemented, simply because there is no need for it
Paizo wrote:-log clean up: all that programmers stuff going on when looking for server, connecting to, new match/map; not everyone are a developer and care about it, that makes the game looks like an early version
I actually thought about that too, but looking at the codebase, it would be quite a lot of work to do that
Paizo wrote:-builtin single player tutorial maps for major game modes with focus on basics: what rubber is, double binds...
we already have tutorials in the latest development branch (0.4)
-automatic game updates
not sure how useful that is, seeing that the last update was pretty much a year ago ;)
Last edited by AI-team on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Paizo wrote:-pickup: what about handle pickup natively in the game? adding game types/servers, add up, in game notification when pickup starts and so on...
How does this work differently than joining any server you want?
Paizo wrote:-log clean up: all that programmers stuff going on when looking for server, connecting to, new match/map; not everyone are a developer and care about it, that makes the game looks like an early version
A lot of other games do this as well, and i never think "oh, this game is still new". Every server has different settings, so showing which settings are changed is always useful. This isnt code or debug output, these are settings which were changed from the previous server you were playing.
Paizo wrote:-automatic game updates
We have this, but only real operating systems. In any case, arma just doesnt get updated enough to consider this. I do think the master servers could be helpful in implementing something like this; it wouldnt update the game itself, but it would tell the users theres a new client. If players want to use an older client, why should we tell them not to? This is why the game is backwards compatible (and a lot of headaches were suffered for this) instead of being a douche like Word (the windowns program, not the player).
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Paizo

Post by Paizo »

regarding pickup: to help people play the game mode they like quickier if, for example, all servers of that type are empty or far away/lagged. oh, an addon could be knowing in which server a pickup is going to be played before adding up to help undecided people joining and others keeping away from lag.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

The pickup stuff isn't realistic. Pickups are intended to be exclusive.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nux wrote:a douche like Word
I don't think word processing programs come with that capability.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Paizo wrote:regarding pickup: to help people play the game mode they like quickier if, for example, all servers of that type are empty or far away/lagged. oh, an addon could be knowing in which server a pickup is going to be played before adding up to help undecided people joining and others keeping away from lag.
Sooooooooooooo.. the server list?
Phytotron wrote:I don't think word processing programs come with that capability.
I wasnt talking about the software itself, i was talking about the lack of backwards compatibility between the different versions of Word.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Word is also backwards compatible. If you take care, you can save documents in a format older versions can read just fine. That's not entirely unlike our "if you don't do anything fancy with new features, old clients work on new servers" approach.

We have autoupdate available for Windows and Linux in the form of ZeroInstall. Also, for Windows, there is Spoon (requires registration), and for Linux, your OS takes care of updates if you install it via official packages or our PPA. I think we're set there. The only ones missing are Macsters, ZeroInstall would work there, too, but my OS is too old to set it up.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

what about adding an extra menu item for pickup games and integrating the irc client into it? that way the exclusivity remains but the entrance is simpler
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

simpler than opening a url in your browser? I doubt so

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Paizo

Post by Paizo »

I know a lot people that don't know what irc means or how to use it :/
If you wanna keep it like Quake 1 full of console command for every stuff you are free to do it, depends on what kind/how many audience you want to reach.

server browser != pickup, right?

I forgot to mention that the news page should me used more: 1-2 news per year make it looks like a discontinued project; ladle stuff could fit there for example.

I just want to be constructive, don't take what i wrote like an aggression (just to avoid misunderstanding :) )
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Paizo wrote:If you wanna keep it like Quake 1 full of console command for every stuff you are free to do it, depends on what kind/how many audience you want to reach.
Yeah, because Quake sucked and never became popular. No, Quake is not a game that hasnt been alive for a really long time, right?
Paizo wrote:I know a lot people that don't know what irc means or how to use it :/
server browser != pickup, right?
Not the way you put it, you are describing how a the server browser works, with the only difference that those games can be played while the server maxes out. If you want to make a case against irc, we can discuss that, but a pickup system shouldnt be integrated to the client, there is absolutely no benefit over the server browser.
Paizo wrote:I forgot to mention that the news page should me used more: 1-2 news per year make it looks like a discontinued project; ladle stuff could fit there for example.
Well, there hasnt been any news, really. And while arma isnt exactly discontinued, its not being developed constantly. But really, we are the most active tron clone there is, you should check the others' websites and youll see our news section has a lot more news.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nux wrote:
Phytotron wrote:
nux wrote:a douche like Word
I don't think word processing programs come with that capability.
I wasnt talking about the software itself, i was talking about the lack of backwards compatibility between the different versions of Word.
WHOOOSH!
Paizo wrote:If you wanna keep it like Quake 1 full of console command for every stuff you are free to do it, depends on what kind/how many audience you want to reach.
I don't know anything about Quake (or care), but I agree that console commands or manually editing config files shouldn't be necessary for common settings and customizations; it should be reserved for more advanced or obscure tweaks. Also, manually editing some resource file shouldn't be necessary to change one's HUD! :x
Paizo wrote:I just want to be constructive, don't take what i wrote like an aggression (just to avoid misunderstanding :) )
You're fine. For some reason nux has strutted up in here in the last few months acting like he's the head of development or something, being an uppity jerk to anyone who dares make suggestions or question the development of this game. The guy needs to look back through the history of this forum; development has always had a give-and-take with, and been responsive to, the community. Even people who make stupid suggestions.
Paizo

Post by Paizo »

If i wanna contribute adding my language (italian) translator, what i have to do?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

What I did. Go to IRC, ask epsy. :P

I recommend you download and install Python and bazaar before, there's a script that filters all the untranslated bits of the current language file, but I wouldn't be able to tell you step by step how to decipher that.
(I've written some stuff there in the topic, but I guess it's not enough)

If you happen to speak German you can use that file just as well, but it probably differs from the Italian output of this script.

When you're (halfway) done I suggest you open a new thread for it.