Linux Build

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Linux Build

Post by Light »

A friend and I both had an issue connecting to the master server from Linux, but not Windows. I believe we both use the same distro, Linux Ubuntu 12.04 (weird name here) :P It just tries to load for a few, then it says couldn't connect, but if you try again, it usually connects. Also, if it does connect the first time, it's usually slow, and will speed up if you try to reconnect directly after that.

One more thing is when you join a game, you're spammed with the "could not resolve hostname .." messages. There's a ton of'em. Any chance you could stop these from being sent to the chat?

If there's anything I would need to give to help out, let me know. It would be nice to get the master server thing fixed. Also, I don't have my Windows partition anymore, so I can't help compare, but I can do whatever from Ubuntu.

Thanks.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Linux Build

Post by Z-Man »

Light wrote:One more thing is when you join a game, you're spammed with the "could not resolve hostname .." messages. There's a ton of'em. Any chance you could stop these from being sent to the chat?
The reason behind those messages is the reason for your problems. The slowdown is fixed for 0.4 and can't be backported, dunno whether the messages are still there, they are kind of important, so probably yes.
It may help to delete frommaster.srv if you have been away for a while. Mostly, the resolve errors come from old, long gone servers that your client remembers and tries to contact.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:The reason behind those messages is the reason for your problems. The slowdown is fixed for 0.4 and can't be backported, dunno whether the messages are still there, they are kind of important, so probably yes.
It may help to delete frommaster.srv if you have been away for a while. Mostly, the resolve errors come from old, long gone servers that your client remembers and tries to contact.
Actually, I just reformatted like .. maybe 5 days ago? I'll try your suggestion though, and let ya know how it turns out.

e/ Well, it worked. Just seems weird to me that, that would be the issue after like 5 days of use. Anyways, thanks very much.

Btw, I installed it from the 0install, so maybe it's possible you have it prepacked with a list of servers? Just a thought, Idk.

e/ Shoot .. It connected to the master server without a big pause, but still spammed with the same messages. Upon trying to load it again, the pause was back. Now it feels like it's adding up extremely quickly, and eventually stopping bein' able to connect at all. Since I really have no clue, I'll shut up lol .. just thinkin' on paper.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Could the problem possibly lie in the master server? Perhaps there is a cache? I dunno, I'm not great with server tech.
Light

Post by Light »

I don't believe so, since I didn't get this on the Windows build.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We're using system functions there that behave differently between Linux and Windows. The root of the problems is the same, though.