Translator?

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Translator?

Post by LittleSteps »

Well I noticed when I am playing there is a lot of german people talking (in there language) so I wanted to know how to make it so when some one talks german it translate it into english and doesn't even show them talking in german just the english that was translated. I just want to know if this is possible or even how to make it or any advice. Thanks :) Translat
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Translator?

Post by sinewav »

I'm going to suggest learning German instead. It's probably easier than writing the code for a translator in Armagetron. You can probably learn enough in a few months to follow a basic conversation, even if you can't participate in it.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

I just think learning another languages while in school is a little to much for a game.. Also I do agree with you though but It just was something I thought of..
Last edited by LittleSteps on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

An easier approach might be to automatically feed chats into google translate. However, if google decides not to like this, they might ban you from their translator. On the other hand, the volume in requests that google receives is probably so high that they won't even notice. You may have to impersonate a browser, though.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

I was actually talking with a programmer named enemy and he suggest that to but I don't know how I would make it feed it to there automatically.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I want to say that someone's done this before, but I can't remember for certain, and definitely have no idea where it is. I think what came up at the time was there was something in Google's TOS that made it something impractical to do.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

LittleSteps wrote:I was actually talking with a programmer named enemy and he suggest that to but I don't know how I would make it feed it to there automatically.
Well, it certainly is something that is easier said than done. You may need to sniff the packets that your browsers sends when it is on the page of google translate and then send those yourself. After that you need to read the result that you get back. They like using lots of auto-generated (i.e., undecipherable) javascript in most google stuff, but the communication should be fairly clean, I guess. They might be using something as easy as JSON or maybe serialized java classes from GWT.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

Tank Program wrote:I want to say that someone's done this before, but I can't remember for certain, and definitely have no idea where it is. I think what came up at the time was there was something in Google's TOS that made it something impractical to do.
I've actually seen something like this too but I would have to look for it again but I was not sure where to put it.