Downloading map settings?

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Downloading map settings?

Post by fingerbib »

Hi.

Is it possible to download the map settings from a server, so that they can be played when you're in a single player game, offline?
he said.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

If you play on a server, Your computer should automatically download it.
Look in your:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Armagetron\resource\automatic

There you will find a list of Names.
These are the names of the author of the maps, and you simply click the folder in which you want to view.

This is for windows, btw.
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

you can make it download any map you want
change MAP_FILE (map you want) and RESOURCE_REPOSITORY_SERVER if necessary
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Downloading map settings?

Post by sinewav »

fingerbib wrote:Is it possible to download the map settings from a server...
Hmm...Are you asking about the map file itself or the server settings like speed, wall length, and rubber? As stated above, the map file will be saved locally on your drive, but the "cycle physics" will not. However, you can see what settings have changed on your client when you enter a server - they will be the text in red that appears as you connect.

Here is my suggestion. Open your Arma directory and look for a file called "settings.cfg". Open it in a text editor and read it. Don't make any changes. After you get a basic idea of how it all works you can do one of two things.

You can make a copy of settings.cfg and store it somewhere, then make changes to the original (ok, but not recommended). This way if you screw something up you have a backup. A better idea is to create a file called "settigns_custom.cfg" and add the following line to the end of settings.cgf:

INCLUDE settings_custom.cfg

Copy and paste the settings you want to change from settings.cfg to settings_custom.cfg (my preferred method). This way you can easily toggle between two settings by "commenting" the line you added to settings.cfg. It looks like this:

#INCLUDE settings_custom.cfg

Notice the "#" before the line. This will turn-off settings_custom.cfg. Also, here is a list of different commands that will work in Arma and brief descriptions:

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... e_Commands

I hope this helps. And I'm sorry if you knew a lot of what I said, but maybe someone else who reads this won't. :)
Last edited by sinewav on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

thank you all very much for your replies. and no sine.wav, i didn't know most of that because /me is a noob =)
he said.