about swampland

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

hybrid
On Lightcycle Grid

about swampland

Post by hybrid »

Well I think rubber in swampland servers is a bit insane.
I'd like to ask if it's me or more people think about it. If this is true, can we all suggest to reduce rubber in swampland servers to ...
for me 3 or 4 is GOOD

well this is my honest thought
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I think original swampland is great i would leave the rubber alone there. However I think something needs to be done about swampland 2.7.1 myself and others have expressed concerns about people sitting and 180'ing on the rim wall for whole rounds or after they trap you 180'ing several times to seal you in. Its easy to kill people who do this but overall its a less fun experience and if you tell them to stop running, because the people who use this stratagy refuse to fight and only 180 to run away and never to attack, they start to harass you because they like to play like that. I find Swampland 2.7.1 to often be filled with noobs because they can get away with it there and most of them leave when a good player joins and proceds to easily kill them, even if it frustrates them, killing runners is annoying but fufilling work.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Actually, mom, that problem is one of the reasons hell is setup like it is now.

Other than that, I think the cycle width thread has the greatest potential to restore the 2.7.1-style server back to what we like. We're 90% there with what we've done so far, but I think the remaining 10% can only be achieved another way.

What ways are availalbe?

Well, on the website I'm working on making a way for users to vote on other players (even players that aren't registered). This vote system, if mathematically in good shape, could provide a way to counterbalance some of the spoilsport playing on the grid by giving a more democratic way to handle such things (I'm thinking automated kicking here). The game still needs a few things for the latest website changes to have the most possibility of real integration, but I think those things will happen sooner or later. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

I'm open to adjust the settings, as long as the majority of the players are in agreement.

There's a standing request for feedback on the behavior of the servers, but so far this is the only comment (well, maybe the 2nd) to adjust the settings.

I'll adjust them tonight, so let me know what your experience now.
Anumeric
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Anumeric »

i would also like to see the rubber reduced.... all the 180ing, while easy to gain extreme speed with, is slowing down the overall game play.... i use to take almost every grind that was thrown at me, but now i find myself constantly having to go around the long way for fear i will be 180ed... becoming more and more smegish everyday...

once in a while and i think its as much as a style preference as say dbing... however its begining to be abused and taking away from the "enjoyability" of the game, at least for me.
woot...

dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Well, the rubber in Swampland in 2.7.1 was reduced, but nows its back up at 9. :o
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

Yeah, I goofed. I didn't commit the change of rubber to the config file, and restarted the server.

It's back to 5 now. Let me know how that works out for you.

But, changing the rubber hasn't stopped people from doing the 180's, so I need to change some other settings too. I think there's a thread that mentions the 180 issue and how to fix that, so I'll dig for that when I get home from work.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

cycle_delay is now .06? A little high for my likings.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

That was me. :) I got most of the 180ing problem knocked out by tweaking a few settings, but I only put them in everytime.cfg, so they can easily be removed and the server rolled back. :)

I'm thinking of settling cycle_delay at 0.05 instead, but I'm going to do further testing on my own server.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden