my homemade map wont work

Designed a level that creates new, exciting, and challenging Armagetron game play? Or maybe just something funky. Put it right here.
hsnow

my homemade map wont work

Post by hsnow »

i did everything as i was told to but when i try to use it ingame i get an error
signatures suck
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

well, could you be more precise in your message...like, what was the error message ? without anything we can't help you
hsnow

ok

Post by hsnow »

epsy wrote:well, could you be more precise in your message...like, what was the error message ? without anything we can't help you
ok then ill get a screenshot of what happens
Attachments
this is exactly what happens
this is exactly what happens
signatures suck
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

H hsnow and welcome to the forums!

What OS/distribution do you use?
Where did you save your copy of the map?
Did you verify that the name in the config file and the file name are the same?

It seems that the game cannot find your map, and so is attempting to download it from the net, in the form of our ressource repository.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
hsnow

more details for the error

Post by hsnow »

Windows Vista Home Premium
recource\included\hsnow\fortress\lmao-1.0.1.aamap.xml
yea they are the exact same
signatures suck
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: more details for the error

Post by Z-Man »

hsnow wrote:Windows Vista Home Premium
The screenshot suggests you put MAP_FILE to ...pwnage-1.0.0.., you'll need to set it to hsnow\fortress\lmao-1.0.1.aamap.xml.

Side question: don't we have a better place for user-installed resources? Neither automatic nor included sounds right to me.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

z-man wrote:
hsnow wrote:Windows Vista Home Premium
The screenshot suggests you put MAP_FILE to ...pwnage-1.0.0.., you'll need to set it to hsnow\fortress\lmao-1.0.1.aamap.xml.
What about those backslashes? AFAIK they ought to be normal slashes (/) even on windows as they're part of an URI in the resource system.
Side question: don't we have a better place for user-installed resources? Neither automatic nor included sounds right to me.
Have a look at the new About screen on the trunk. It lists ~/.armagetronad/resource as a resource dir, and I think luke once said that you're supposed to put custom resources in there, not in included/ or automatic/.
/me wonders what happens to map authors whose name is “included” or “automatic”.
There's no place like ::1
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

wrtlprnft wrote:What about those backslashes? AFAIK they ought to be normal slashes (/) even on windows as they're part of an URI in the resource system.
IIRC, the game translate the URI into the local format.
(snip) ~/.armagetronad/resource (...snip...) to put custom resources in there
/me wonders what happens to map authors whose name is “included” or “automatic”.
I'd guess: ~/.armagetronad/resource/[author name]/[the rest]

IIRC, the resource mecanism search 3 locations : included, installed and automatic, in about that order. That included and automatic share the same base path doesn't affect anything.

Of course, this is all info pulled from lost memories of code I did not write. Reality might differ.

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

it checks $userresourcedir/, $resourcedir, $resourcedir/included, $userresourcedir/automatic, in that order.

I was talking about some file path like “$userresourcedir/automatic/blah/map-1.aamap.xml” being ambiguous: either it's “automatic/blah/map-1.aamap.xml” in $userresourcedir or “blah/map-1.aamap.xml” in $userresourcedir/automatic.
There's no place like ::1