AFL Playoffs

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Lucifer
Project Developer

AFL Playoffs

Post by Lucifer »

So I've decided to run all 7 teams for the playoffs. And next time we'll make sure there are more games in the regular season. :)

Playoffs will be a week from Sunday, aka Sunday, August 12 at 18:00 UTC. For anybody who doesn't understand what that means, it means "Same bat time, same bat channel". It's the same time as all the games have run.

First round will have 6 teams playing. These will be played the same as the games in the regular season, best 2 of 3. (Technically we're first-past-the-post here since the third match is optional if one of the teams wins the first two matches) These games will have the higher-ranked team as the home team and will be played on their server.

Second round will have 4 teams playing. The 3 that advanced plus the team that sat out the first round. Each game will be first-past-the-post, and the post is 3. So the first team to win 3 matches in a game wins the series and advances, the other team loses. These games will flip-flop servers. First match will be played at the higher-ranked team's home server, second match will be played at the other team's, and then back again, and so forth, until there's a winner. Please don't get lost switching servers. You guys do this all the time, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Third round is the Championship. This game will have the post at 4 and could be a very long game. At the end of the second round, if both teams that advance desire, the championship can be rescheduled for up to one week from then. If there is disagreement, the game will be played immediately following the second round (with a little break if need be). This game has several playable options. It can be flip-flopped as the last game. It can be played in its entirety at the FA AFL Server, or if z-man's willing, it can be played in its entirety at his server. Also, if wrtlpwned is willing, it can be played in its entirety on Fort Cafe. The two lucky teams will decide, and if they can't agree, it will be flip-flopped by default.

I'll try to be there for the playoffs. :) Also, if at all possible, can we get every player who can record to record the games they play? I'd like to get as much actual video of the games as possible. Don't let it interfere with your game (but don't forget a recording of each game is still required).

As to rosters: There wasn't a lot of changeup going on, so rosters are good as they stand. You can still drop players, but no new players may be added.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

are the brackets up yet?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: AFL Playoffs

Post by epsy »

Lucifer wrote:Also, if at all possible, can we get every player who can record to record the games they play? I'd like to get as much actual video of the games as possible. Don't let it interfere with your game (but don't forget a recording of each game is still required).
Well, i can use another client for recording(except if the server has idle kick on...) but if i use the same client for recording and playing my client gets an fps drop + some lag....so i don't know if you just mean to have, recordings from the player's point of view or just recordings
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I was wanting recordings from the player's point of view, so if it borks your fps so much, don't worry about it.

No, the brackets aren't up yet. It's on my todo list for today. :)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Brackets are posted. Sorry I didn't get to them last night, and I honestly don't remember what happened now that stopped me.

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... 7_Playoffs

|x| and KoD were both tied for the top rank, I wound up flipping a coin to pick who got the bye, and who got to steamroll MC.

For the middle ranks, it sucks, but I wound up ordering mostly based on forfeits.

The Tards played all their games, and they won 2 and lost 2.

SP and Crazy Tronners were next, with the same number of forfeits, giving them both 2-2. In this case, CT got the higher rank because when they played SP, they beat them.

I suggest Kill or Die go play on a spare fortress server while they're enjoying their rest. :)

Good luck on Sunday. Don't forget to vote for MVP!

- Iron Maiden
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

why are x and KOD on the same side of the bracket?
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

x vs kod for the final :( looks like it wont happen now :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, there's two different ways to seed a tournament tree; Lucifer picked the one where the lower rated teams have a better chance at winning the final, because they first fight against teams with similar strength. Never underestimate an underdog who made it to the final.

I'm more concerned about the server flip-flopping in the semis, that could become chaotic. Fun!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh. Yeah, I picked the way that actually favors the teams in the middle of the ranking.

In other news, Matado Core is unlikely to show. Their only player who showed up to the last game has quit, and it's unlikely any of the rest will show. If they do, fine, if not, don't be too surprised about the forfeit. Just means my coin toss was silly, and x and kod can face off pretty quickly.

But don't underestimate SP or CT's chances. They can sneak up and take it, they can.

Edit: er, minor correction z-man. I put #1 with #8, #2 with #7, #3 with #6, etc. NFL-style (which has its share of criticisms).

- Iron Maiden
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

FTW! ;)
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

as its not mentioned anywhere, im guessing this again starts at 6pm gmt?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

"Same bat time, same bat station." Although that could be an Americanism, now that I think about it....

(Yes, same time as all the other games)

- Iron Maiden
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Maybe just those of us that watched Batman first time round.

Holy Lightcyles, am I that old?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Results so far have been added to the Wiki page (on the regular results page). I uploaded the two recordings I have, from the first Tards matches. I won't be able to make the screenshots this time, so I have to ask anyone who feels like it to play the recordings back and make them. If I have time and it doesn't take too long, I'll upload a recording for the final, too.

At this point, I have to congratulate the Tards for their sportsmanship in the playoffs so far. Monkey bitched a bit about spectators (as usual), but they voluntarily only played with three of four against the three of UT2 and allowed a fourth SP player to join (Radian, who was not registered; I wouldn't have allowed it, but Tards wanted it that way, and who am I to argue?).

Let's see what the final brings :) I can't watch it right now, my wife is blocking the computer with the recording client on it in another session.

This place is as good as any to say this: I'll be on vacation for the next ten days. Seeya then!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:Results so far have been added to the Wiki page (on the regular results page). I uploaded the two recordings I have, from the first Tards matches. I won't be able to make the screenshots this time, so I have to ask anyone who feels like it to play the recordings back and make them. If I have time and it doesn't take too long, I'll upload a recording for the final, too.
I'll see what I can do with the recordings. I'm in the middle of massive computer OS upgrades that need to be finished before school starts, so I won't be able to do anything with the recordings for a little while anyway. I'll get the results themselves moved to a better place later on tonight. :) (Which means the "official" announcement on results is yet to come)
At this point, I have to congratulate the Tards for their sportsmanship in the playoffs so far. Monkey bitched a bit about spectators (as usual), but they voluntarily only played with three of four against the three of UT2 and allowed a fourth SP player to join (Radian, who was not registered; I wouldn't have allowed it, but Tards wanted it that way, and who am I to argue?).
Heh, depends on people take it, really. It's a fait accompli, and doesn't contribute to the problem that registrations were there to solve, so I won't bitch too much, but I'll take a moment to explain why I wouldn't have let Radian in if I was there.

The first question is "Why should someone who didn't play in the league at all get to play in the playoffs, particularly the final, when the players who did play in the league that didn't make it don't get to play?" I have tried to anticipate as much as possible that what one team does in one game may be the Right Thing for them in that game, but in the process inadvertently stepping on other teams that did their best. If that makes any sense, anyway. I've never really subscribed to a real-world concept of fairness, but in sports there's a certain degree of fairness that's expected, and it's just not fair to players who did their best and got knocked out in the first round of playoffs (or, had I just taken the top 4 teams for the playoffs, the players whose teams didn't make the playoffs at all). That's why the playoffs have the requirement that for a roster to qualify, the players must have played some threshold percentage of regular season games. Now, for this round of AFL, I just looked at roster changes. There was only one that was asked for after the games started, and I don't remember what I did about it (it's possible I decided not to allow it and forgot to tell the team about the decision, sorry!), so there wasn't much to it. But consider the case where a team plays decently, gets ranked in the middle but still qualifies for the playoffs. Then they go get a bunch of people who didn't play at all but are Known Good Players to play the playoffs, while the team that actually played in the season sit out and soak up the glory. That's what a "ringer" is, it's the Known Good Player that's recruited for key games for the sole purpose of winning a title. At that point, the team that wins the title isn't the team that played the regular season anymore!

Anyway, this was a beta-test season, and we were collecting information on what it takes to run a league of this sort, so letting Radian in doesn't influence that purpose and afaict, didn't hurt anything otherwise.
This place is as good as any to say this: I'll be on vacation for the next ten days. Seeya then!
Have fun. :)

- Iron Maiden