Get the Gradient Floor here!

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
n54
MVP

Get the Gradient Floor here!

Post by n54 »

Ok I've been debating myself about whether or not to release this now or wait until my theme is ready and as you've probably understood I can't keep it to myself any longer :mrgreen:

I guess I'll be able to figure out something new in the ages it's going to take me to finish the "bike" (which is progressing nicely btw but still at the final detailed sketching stage, it's very smooth and detailed for only being 128 vertexes (yes, I'm actually sketching the individual vertex placements themselves from all six axis viewpoints!)).

This is a really nice floor imo:
- looks great (maybe too great but you'll get used to it and stop crashing because you're looking at the floor)
- easy to make in any colors you want (you get the idea from looking at the files and using them)
- only useable with dual texturing of the floor (that's where the effect comes from)

The settings I recomend for using this are, with the moviepack:
moviepack_floor_red 1
moviepack_floor_green 1
moviepack_floor_blue 1
grid_size_moviepack 3

Or without the moviepack:
floor_red 1
floor_green 1
floor_blue 1
grid_size 3

However that is only what I like the best personally with these specific files.

I do realize the colors chosen (brownish/reddish yellow, black and white) wont fit any moviepacks out there but it should be really easy to make your own versions with the colors of your choice (if you have no programs able to draw smooth gradients download/use Gimp).

If you don't want the "scale" lines when/if you make your own "gradient floors" just remove the white square in the middle of the files. Likewise you could remove (or change) the grid lines as well if you so want.

Oh and of course the files need to go in your moviepack folder if you use moviepacks or in the textures folder if you don't.

Edit:
No screenshots as it just doesn't do it justice, you have to use it to see how nice it is.
Attachments
floor_a.png
floor_a
(4.36 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
floor_b.png
floor_b
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

Really cool. One thing I noticed was some extra tick marks that extend across the grid in certain areas. Just curious if that was intentional, just a by-product of the way the code works, or maybe you don't see them on your computer. :) I've attached a screen shot that doesn't give away the effect of the floor textures. :wink:
Attachments
screenshot_1.jpg
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

glad you like it :D

yes it's absolutely intentional and caused by the small squares in the middle (well actually middle minus half the stripe thickness in the opposite direction of the stripe (if that made sense for you all)). if dual draw textures were enlarged from the middle the "cross" they form would be in the exact centre of the grid but sadly they're drawn & stretched from on corner just like regular single layered floors. they're also stretched only up to a certain point so on large grids youl get several "zones" that blend perfectly and can look pleasingly irregular in the distance (pure optics).

oh and i don't expect people to use these textures as they are (with the choice of these colors) but rather as a proof of concept for people to modify to fit their own preferred moviepacks.

if one tweaks the dots making the crosslines just perfectly one can end up with like a triplelines cross instead of crosslines but i haven't done that yet (maybe i'll do it when i've slept some). oh and it probably wont look so good as one will probably notice the blurring much more so it might not be any good.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

I managed to get a nice screenshot that shows a quarter of the Gradient Floor from just about the centre of the grid, howver be aware that the color closest to point of view always looks more dominant than it really is, looking from a corner (placement) to the centre or from a corner to another corner would give a different impression of the floor making it seem like most of the floor contains the colors close to the one you're at (it is actually an even gradient).
Attachments
Gradient Floor from the centre
Gradient Floor from the centre