A crazy stat

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

Your_mom wrote:I dont think you can measure a player in his stats Is chills better then me because he survives more on swampys? Is mandrake better then me because he has more match wins in ish. I dont think there will ever be a truly definitive way to compare players then just how u see them play on the grid, even then you have to account for if they are trying/bad day/good day . Even then comparing playstyles is different, whos to say dev/null is bad because he tunnels and dies 60% of the time trying and another conservative player gets more points just sitting there with a smug look on thier face because they are winning. I think comparing the different styles of players stats may be like comparing a hocky star to a base ball star. just my 2 cents. this coming from one of the worst tron players ever heh.
I totally agree! Still stats can be somewhat interesting :)

Btw i wonder how many would have had any luck at beating Majination driving by a mouthstick as he did. He'll always be the most impressive player to me (i hope he's doing ok wherever he is/whatever he's doing).
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

n54 wrote:
Btw i wonder how many would have had any luck at beating Majination driving by a mouthstick as he did. He'll always be the most impressive player to me (i hope he's doing ok wherever he is/whatever he's doing).
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day! Majination is a freak, damn difficult to kill and yes just using his mouth. Hope all is well with him. Anybody heard from him recently?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I haven't heard nething recently either, but I do hope he's doing fine.

All this stats stuff is making me want to do something again... Any ideas for anything to do any one? I kinda don't want to do one of the image signatures, again, cause I still feel kinda bad with what happened with the first one :(.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I'd like to see a formula developed that goes beyond simple averaging if possible that would combine all the stats to a simple ranking.

What do I mean by this?

I don't know!

What I'd like to see is just one number. A simple ranking. It has to take into account that some people play many servers, and some people only play 1 or 2. It has to take into account that some servers have a different formula for ladder calculation (probably most are the same though). Actually, the ladder is kind of insane in my opinion. Perhaps it could be revamped. Right now it favours surviving instead of scoring.

Instead of use the rank position in rounds and matches in the global formula, it could use the *place relative to the total number of players* and use that. So first out of 20 wouldn't be as impressive as first out of 1000 players. But there should also be a cut off, so you don't even count players who haven't won a single match, or a certain number of matches. You could fill a server up with nonsense players to improve your rank otherwise.

Anyway, Tank or someone could host the script, and have it updated daily (cuz I need a reason to get up the next day). We could all have it in our signatures on this forum.

Oh, and I also think a password protect nick should maybe be in place on the servers included in the formula. (The password system could be a global system, but whatever).

So, a global rank. How should it be calculated? Thoughts anyone?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I did something like that once ish... No one liked it :/.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

well GOSHDARN!

I don't remember what you came up with. I could easily see a lot of disagreement over the formula used. Everyone wants it to favour *their* circumstance and play style.

And I just thought of something. Different colours for different levels. If you are below the top 200, you get boring old white. As you move up closer to the top 10, you get different colours. Top 10 could be Black, and Number one could be Gold. Or whatever.

Are you willing to reexplore this one Tank?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I would suggest not trying too hard to make it completely global. Instead, the servers themselves divide into genres of play, so make it global within a genre. So all breakfast servers (and possibly all darnish servers, since they use the same rules and emphasize the same playing) would have their ranking, and I'll be happy to host that. Then all the classic servers, all the toy servers (toy meaning: little grid, slow speeds, makes you think of a toddler's playroom), and others. If a single server serves the entire genre, then it gets it's own. When we have that, an average might work, but the average would have to be weighted for number of servers within a genre.

So, we'll handle load-balancing within the genre. For example, most breakfast players play at Swampy's right now, some won't play Hell no matter what (don't like the lag, and I don't blame 'em). So we'll handle weighting their scores appropriately within Breakfastland.

So we all have something like an RSS feed that's the same format. A global stat server would then take all the separate RSS feeds and aggregate them into the One True Statistic that you're wanting, ish, and at that point I think an average might well be the best way to go. So we just need to agree on what the RSS feeds should contain and let each genre determine the best way to rank themselves with those statistics. And each feed should already be normalized against the number of servers within the genre, so the global stat script doesn't care how many servers a given feed represents, it should only care that the feed represents one or more servers, and the numbers contained are already normalized.

Actually, Tank, if you really want to work on a stat thing *right now*, I could post my latest version of the statsig and you could make it support RSS feeds for input (you would do that in the aastat class file, actually). I'd like to get stats exposed publicly in a standard way that has mucho library support already, if you get my meaning.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Well, er... I'm sort of trying to avoid RSS... I think ishAdmins idea is kinda good tho... I'll try to come up w/a way to work that out.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Looking into what ish said... Crazy ammount of time necessary to calculate ranking of everyone... I think this is going to be one of those "stats updated hourly" sort of things...
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Tank Program wrote:Looking into what ish said... Crazy ammount of time necessary to calculate ranking of everyone... I think this is going to be one of those "stats updated hourly" sort of things...
I think daily would be fine actually, but whatever.