Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

chills
On Lightcycle Grid

A crazy stat

Post by chills »

Hey Lucifer,

Thanks for the cool stat sig. :D

Speaking of stats, I came across a stat that truly surprised me.

Check this out:

147 match victories, but only 15 won rounds?!

That's not something you see every day. It's not a bug, is it?
chills (249)
aka .5. (32) and Lawmune (22)

My current web browser of choice is Opera 8. Check it out!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: A crazy stat

Post by Lucifer »

chills wrote:Hey Lucifer,

Thanks for the cool stat sig. :D
Any time. :)
Speaking of stats, I came across a stat that truly surprised me.

Check this out:

147 match victories, but only 15 won rounds?!

That's not something you see every day. It's not a bug, is it?
It makes sense when you consider that winning rounds has nothing to do with winning matches. The two are correlated, in that people who win more rounds tend to win more matches (more kills during the match, last one standing, and so forth), but there's no causation there. :)

Having played nemo recently, I think I can justify his stat with my own experience. He rarely wins rounds on account of borderline suicidal attacks and other craziness, but he rakes points up quickly. (I think he likes to harvest the less-skilled people in the grid while the rest of us butt heads)

It might also be a bug. I've noticed some issues with the stat script and sorting, and I've noticed some issues with sorted data files too.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

and yes, gj on your stats sig pic thing lucifer. (lucifier asked me to post the code for mine, but I'm using some code that isn't mine to release, and well, I'm too busy to sort that out right now)

So he didn't need my help, and it's look cool! GJ
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I actually emailed swampy about this (using the form on the website) but it got bounced back. On swampland, im like 9 in round wins (can't remember how many I have.) When im playing on the server, it gives me the correct number, but the stats page is has the wrong number. But I wish I could say I have 150 match wins in only 15 rounds :) (so approximately 1500 points in 15 rounds, lol).

And will the stats page be able to sort by match wins/round wins? I also think we should add a new stat, round wins divided by match wins, your rounds per match win ratio.
(I think he likes to harvest the less-skilled people in the grid while the rest of us butt heads)
Sorry, have to disagree there.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I dont think you can measure a player in his stats Is chills better then me because he survives more on swampys? Is mandrake better then me because he has more match wins in ish. I dont think there will ever be a truly definitive way to compare players then just how u see them play on the grid, even then you have to account for if they are trying/bad day/good day . Even then comparing playstyles is different, whos to say dev/null is bad because he tunnels and dies 60% of the time trying and another conservative player gets more points just sitting there with a smug look on thier face because they are winning. I think comparing the different styles of players stats may be like comparing a hocky star to a base ball star. just my 2 cents. this coming from one of the worst tron players ever heh.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nemostultae wrote:I actually emailed swampy about this (using the form on the website) but it got bounced back.
I noticed it doesn't email swampy correctly form the website. Any ideas? Heh. It's the same mail server I email him with personally and it works fine. Gotta be something in mambo I've configured worng.... I'll look into it. (Didn't know people were actually using it already, the websites' only been up for a couple of weeks)
On swampland, im like 9 in round wins (can't remember how many I have.) When im playing on the server, it gives me the correct number, but the stats page is has the wrong number. But I wish I could say I have 150 match wins in only 15 rounds :) (so approximately 1500 points in 15 rounds, lol).
The stats page is supposed to be realtime, i.e. when you visit the page, it goes across the interwebby to swampy's server to get the stats. (Same here, only it's local to Hell, so it just pegs the filesystem) Mind you, the stats page by default shows the combined stats for all servers listed, and for that it just adds them together. No fancy math, there. It adds 'em and then sorts them, so if there's a bug in aa it *might* get revealed on the stats page that way. I say *might* because there's two servers being combined.
And will the stats page be able to sort by match wins/round wins?
Yeah, eventually. It's theoretically trivial to add, but this 30yo college kid needs to be able to find the time to do it. (I suppose I could've done that instead of making the statsig, but I really wanted a statsig at the time ;) )
I also think we should add a new stat, round wins divided by match wins, your rounds per match win ratio.
I like this, I'll look into it. Theoretically trivial, so it may be there already.
(I think he likes to harvest the less-skilled people in the grid while the rest of us butt heads)
Sorry, have to disagree there.
:roll: 8) :D

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Lucifer wrote:
nemostultae wrote:I actually emailed swampy about this (using the form on the website) but it got bounced back.
I noticed it doesn't email swampy correctly form the website. Any ideas? Heh. It's the same mail server I email him with personally and it works fine. Gotta be something in mambo I've configured worng.... I'll look into it. (Didn't know people were actually using it already, the websites' only been up for a couple of weeks)
I made a few changes, and tested, but I still haven't heard back from Swampy if the tests worked. (Emailing me works fine because I'm local to the mailserver) I suspect it's because the email address the website uses doesn't actually exist on my machine, so I made an alias for it and it *should* work now. If it doesn't, I'm smoking something and don't even know it!

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:
nemostultae wrote:I also think we should add a new stat, round wins divided by match wins, your rounds per match win ratio.
I like this, I'll look into it. Theoretically trivial, so it may be there already.
Yeah, my ratio would be amazing, though. 0.1 rounds per match win! :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Lucifer wrote:
I also think we should add a new stat, round wins divided by match wins, your rounds per match win ratio.
Done.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:
Lucifer wrote:
Done.
Will this be added to the sig_generator too?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nemostultae wrote:
Lucifer wrote:
Lucifer wrote: I like this, I'll look into it. Theoretically trivial, so it may be there already.
Done.
Will this be added to the sig_generator too?
Oh boy, I'll put it on the list. This isn't trivial to add to the statsig right now, it's already pretty cramped. Remind me after I've got it integrated with the website so you can configure the statsig through the website, because then it'll be somewhat trivial to be able to configure the fields to show on the statsig.

Edit: Unless you'd rather have R/M instead of Rounds on the statsig. I could easily replace Rounds with R/M, and I'm thinking R/M is more meaningful than Rounds anyway... Who wants this? Speak up (maybe I"ll make it a poll.....)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Lucifer wrote: Edit: Unless you'd rather have R/M instead of Rounds on the statsig. I could easily replace Rounds with R/M, and I'm thinking R/M is more meaningful than Rounds anyway... Who wants this? Speak up (maybe I"ll make it a poll.....)
I made a poll for it on the website. I hope what's being voted for is clear, lemme know if it's not.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:
nemostultae wrote:Will this be added to the sig_generator too?
Oh boy, I'll put it on the list. This isn't trivial to add to the statsig right now, it's already pretty cramped. Remind me after I've got it integrated with the website so you can configure the statsig through the website, because then it'll be somewhat trivial to be able to configure the fields to show on the statsig.

Edit: Unless you'd rather have R/M instead of Rounds on the statsig. I could easily replace Rounds with R/M, and I'm thinking R/M is more meaningful than Rounds anyway... Who wants this? Speak up (maybe I"ll make it a poll.....)
Getting kinda offtopic, but here my take on it. Another row could be added if you changed to a small font, like the one I use in my avatar and swampys server stats image called Silkscreen (Its free, too!). I would prefer all stats be in there, but if thats not possible I'd rather have R/M.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Actually, font support is where I stopped on the statsig. Right now it uses fonts built-in to the gd library, which is why the fonts aren't that pretty. I decided to put off font support until I could build a real config interface to the script, so we'll probably wind up still having to wait on it.

I've got a Wednesday shipping deadline for some other stuff, but my schoolwork has lightened up a bit, so we'll see how it goes.

- Iron Maiden
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Man, where do you guys find the time.

(ish vaguely recalls having time in a life before children, and before a child with special needs, and before an aging mother who needs more and more help, and before exploding servers ... ahhhh)