25th Birthday!

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...
Aang (avatar fan)
Round Winner
Location: Far away, in a distant fantasy land, where there lives happly little elves. (I'm not one).

25th Birthday!

Post by Aang (avatar fan) »

This year, July 9th, is the 25th anniversary of the movie Tron.
I wonder if you have any special celebrations planned. I think you should?
Maybe a new theme for the forums?

I don't know, just alerting you to the fact.
spirit
Round Winner

Post by spirit »

The fact that I saw this fim in cinemas makes me feel..........old. :|
Good topic BTW.
Aang (avatar fan)
Round Winner
Location: Far away, in a distant fantasy land, where there lives happly little elves. (I'm not one).

lol

Well at least now i have finally got good topic ideas. Some of my others, well...
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

You stole the topic idea from my forums :P.
Aang (avatar fan)
Round Winner

Really... What makes you think that, just because I'm a dedicated fan of armagetron...
C'mon, everyone here knows that the movie came out in 1982. I just needed to know the exact date...
Last edited by Aang (avatar fan) on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You'll be surprised how many people here and in the game don't even know there was such a movie.

Personally, I don't see anything to celebrate. :) The movie was crap. It was a good story, with good special effects, and even good acting, but the worst, and I mean worst damn script ever written. Not even Lucas could make a script worse than that.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

I hear this game was based off of some board game or book or something.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

your right the storyline would have been better with fortress zones and death zones moving across the screen while being shot at of course. :P
instead it was set more inside a game server than inside tron.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Why would the 25th aniversary of Tron warrant a new theme?
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

Do you not like the nice plain light light light blue and the light light blue and the light blue and the dark blue colours?
.:Avl:.C10ud
Average Program

Post by .:Avl:.C10ud »

lol. he stole idea from me, but thats ok :D i for one am definitely having a big celebration. I am shocked that one of the arma developers hated the movie :o Here is what I wrote on DDL:

as far as quality of production goes and story, it IS very cheezy. BUT, it is still one of the best movies ever made. It inspired more video games than any movie in history. Disney actually made more money on the arcade machine games than they did on the movie! It is also, to quote the dvd cover "A milestone in computer animation". Also form teh DVD case, "Without TRON, there would be no toy story". It was a landmark for the computer animation industry, and it has almost a cult following among computer geeks, very similar to the games it inspired. Remember, w/o TRON, we would not be having this conversation.
END OF LINE.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

clouds seems to be on the mark
regarding the computer innovation

regarding the script
it is actually well constructed
i would challenge anyone to create a homogenous world as consistent as tron
with such a torpid subject as computer programs and bits
especially at 1982 when computers were beyond the horizon for most of the populous

there is also plenty of subtext
regarding flynn's suiciding at the end
which i am sure people will recognise from the matrix trilogy

then again
i liked the 300 script too
"may you live forever"
hold the line
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, of course Disney wants to credit themselves with some sort of milestone, but as I recall, TRON was something of a renegade film that kept getting threatened with being cut. Another movie that came out that depended heavily on cg was The Last Starfighter, but for some reason it doesn't have the cult following that TRON has, so it doesn't get any credit for anything. Both movies have something important in common, neither one of them qualified for academy awards because "they cheated".

If you trace the history of computer graphics in movies, you find that when ST:TNG came out on TV, it was the first time it could be shown that movie studio quality special effects could be made with computers, you know, convincing special effects. And that they could be made a lot cheaper than traditional special effects. Even while ST:TNG was in its first few seasons, most movies were still being made with models and stop photoraphy. TRON was too far ahead of its time, it didn't actually influence anything, but Jurassic Park (the first movie to actually qualify for academy awards despite the fact that it used so much cg) came out during the fourth or fifth season of ST:TNG. But Disney didn't make ST:TNG, so naturally they're not going to credit it if they don't have to. :)

Anyway, I don't hate the movie, I just think it's overrated, particularly around here. ;) Other than the cg, it's not much better than a saturday morning cartoon. In fact, if a saturday morning cartoon made the odious mistakes about computers that TRON made, we'd all talk trash about it. Why is TRON special? (I'll give a hint: the light cycles and the disc sequences were awesome)

On a side note: the reason Titanic isn't a completely sucky movie is because it's one of the earlier movies to use Linux on the rendering cluster. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Aang (avatar fan)
Round Winner

EDIT: Oops must have mashed the post button.
Last edited by Aang (avatar fan) on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aang (avatar fan)
Round Winner

Cloud, i might of taken the general idea from you. Besides, you weren't going to post it here.
But yeah, I've never actually seen the whole movie. Only parts of it. So i didn't even understand the storyline.