Elimination Tournament

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Elimination Tournament

Post by Z-Man »

I just made an interesting observation: in 0.2.8, when you reduce the number of allowed teams and teams need to be removed from the game because of that, the teams with the lowest score will be eliminated.

We could abuse this for instant gratification, single server, mini tournaments. Start a sumo or last team standing server for 16 players/teams. After the first match, you reduce the number of teams to 12, after the next match, you go down to 8, then 4, then 2. The worst teams will get eliminated after each step. Could be fun, I'll try to set up a test server.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Server is up, it's called "Bugfarm Elimination Sumo". Tournament matches start every full hour (GMT, for those on half-hour time zones) and consist of a single 25 round match where more and more players are eliminated over time, solving the problem with dropping players (the newcomers replacing them don't have much of a chance to win, and if they win anyway, they deserve it) and providing a constant motivation not to fall behind in points, every round counts in the end.

While no tournament is running (and apart from the tournament mode while it is running, too), the server is operating on good old Bugfarm Sumo setttings. No teams, it's every program for itself.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Heh, if there were teams the ones with two players wouldn't be eliminated as long as there are teams with one player :)
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, right. The goal of the code is to keep as many people playing as possible, so first, it throws together small teams and likes to eliminate smaller teams before bigger teams. Well, if eliminations are announced, people will just have to join higher ranked teams and fill them up.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yay, first really full tournament (15 players or so) happened just now, whatup won, Hay-Lin came in second. The first test tournament was won by owned with wrtl on a very stupid second place.

Any suggestions for improvement around? I'm thinking that the finalists battle (when all but two are eliminated) should probably be started with fresh scores. You rack up a lot of points while there are four players per arena, and any point advantage one player gets can be hard to compensate. The two finals I've seen so far had this problem, but both ended very narrowly and were open to the last resp. next to last round.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

Reduceing the number of rounds the last two play might help. 7 seems like a lot, 5 might be better. Other than that it's fun, and I finally won one, egg got second
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, the tournament is a bit long overall for the advertised instant gratification. The time between eliminations was set to get longer and longer to allow comebacks. I've shortened the whole thing to 17 rounds now (4 * 3 with 16, 12, 8 and 4 players plus 5 with 2 players) and to allow comebacks, I'm increasing the score you get over time. The script now also won't needlessly go through the whole routine if only a few players are online.

To the one bug cry by durka: It's deliberate that the champion gets a round all for himself do do a Victory Dance. I'll clarify this and add a deathzone to that round.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

nice idea
enjoyed playing in the server last night

hope a script for fortress is feasible
since this would help with kings of the grid
hold the line
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It proably won't be applicable to kings of the grid due to the limitation wrtl pointed out. The trick that works here in single player mode won't work with teams.

For kings of the grid, a different abuse may work:
Make a map with a big regular fortress part where two of the teams spawn and with side compartments where other teams spawn without a chance of meeting each other. Make the first two spawn points lie inside the fortress part in the regular setup. The two lowest scoring teams will spawn there, the others will spawn "outside". Now, you give people *negative* scores for good things, -10 for a fortress konquest, -2 for a kill. The two teams that start up in there will keep playing there, as the other teams won't get a chance to get less points.
When a regular match is over (with the team with most negative points logically winning, oh well), you start a new match that only goes for a single round and set a different map and different settings: in the new map, the team with the second lowest score (the losers of the last match) is put directly into a winzone that ends the round and gives them tons of points. They'll be pushed to the top of the team list.
Then you start over with the original map. The winners of the previous match will fight again, but against a new competitor, should there be any.

There's only one problem, new teams will be added at the bottom of the list. Making sure all teams that were present in the last match start with negative score would help; the map with the winzone could be set up so that suicides give negative points and that everyone's team leader except the two next competitors suicides. You then get over to regular fortress play without starting a new match.

I wonder, would it be possible to make the game rules themselves turing complete so we don't need a scripting language at all? :)
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

I've got it: add a brainfuck interpreter to arma!
There's no place like ::1
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

pretty soon you guys will be writing scripts for human beings...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbOyw3CT6A

i'm sure some of the minds that watch that vid
can come up with some interesting sci-fi material...
no budding writers out there?
hold the line