Mind if I join you?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Mind if I join you?

Post by Z-Man »

Hello there!

I hope it is not required that I introduce myself 8)
Well, if I must: I am the terribly lazy monkey-coder who let his project rest unupdated and unmaintained for far too long so that you guys had to fork it to make your additions.

What you need to know immediately:
1) I am happy and proud that Armagetron Advanced exists.
2) My intention here is in no way to take away anything from you. I am here to help.

Now the longer version. What has happened since my last update to Armagetron:

As much as I would like to have a better explanation, the fact is that I simply got bored with Armagetron and everything that was involved with it. The coding alone was not the biggest problem; answering user mail and posts, making releases and the depressing realization that I did no longer enjoy to play my own game as much as I should just bogged me down. Combine that with less time dedicated to development ( While I worked for CodeCult, I spent two hours a day sitting in a train with my laptop with nothing better to do. Now I can spend the time gained by my shorter way to work with my girlfriend. ) and the coding I already have to do for my PHD thesis, it was just too much to go on with Armagetron.
Sorry to everyone who tried to contact me during that time and never heard back. :oops: I probably never read your message. I even was unaware of this project the whole time.

Anyway, since then a lot of time passed, and at the beginning of this year, I concluded that I really missed game development. What to do? I could have started a new project ( a simple WWI style biplane action game! ), but first, I wanted to clean up my act in Armagetron and fix the most glaring problems. At least, fixes for AMD64 and GCC 3.4 compatibility were bitterly needed. That is when the existence of your little offspring came to my attention. I quickly realized a new opportunity. Obviously, there are people out there ( you ) who want to take my former project further. People who have set up their own project structure, who managed a coordinated release for more different platforms than I ever could cover alone. People who have set up a forum for their communication among each other and with the users and use it regularly. If you compare these observations with my reasons for playing dead for over a year, you will notice that you solved two of my problems. The last problem, the lack of fun I get from Armagetron, was naturally solved by the passing time; on the new PCs we got in our institute, I enjoy a round or two for quick relaxation from time to time ( All right, all right. Several times a day. Satisfied? )

The next step was quite obvious...

I had some mail contact with guru3 and the other administrators ( I guess this is why I am listed as a developer... Thanks! ), explaining the situation and my basic intentions. They seemed to have no objections against me joining you, so here I am.

I have not yet had a chance to thoroughly look at what you have done exactly ( downloaded your version and played it a bit, read some stuff in this forum ). I will try to read more during the next days and make my mind up about some things. I plan to post some thoughts here about what I think went wrong in the development of Armagetron, some of it coding-related, some project "management" related, some people-related.

After that, I would like to begin to correct some of the mistakes. Sometimes that will be done by restructuring a subsystem, sometimes just documenting stuff or helping you to work around the system's limitations.

I do not want to boss anyone of you around, it is your project now. I am mainly here to help you accomplish your goals and to clean up my own mess rather than to let you try to clean it up and make it worse :lol:. One last thing: don't try to stop me when I am in a coding frenzy ( rare, but it happens ), it could hurt :twisted:

Greetings and apologies,
Z-Man
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

wow! I think you picked a great time to get back into it.. :)

be sure to check out some of the graphics enhancements some of us have done.. there are screenshots in development/graphis sub forum/ various posts

I'm sure everyone involved with guru3/aa2.7 etc. will be thrilled to have your help & or direction & or pick your brain :)
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

welcome back z-man :D , its good to hear from you again 8)

While your in one of the coding frenzies PLEASE DO NOT be tempted to fix the color overload code as thats the only thing keeping my site online :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Welcome z-man, glad you could make it. I cannot speak for all, but I am very happy that you are here and are pleased with the work we've done on Armagetron Advanced. I should warn you though that my C++ is not very good so some (if not all) of the work I've done on AA may seem noobish even by your standards. I'll sort that out eventually. I'll make a new class for the "remote admin" stuff eventually, honest ;). In short, I couldn't be happier if you join us. (In fact, I'd be very dissapointed if you didn't :o.)

(I've also noticed that I'm very long winded and also most of what I say probably sounds very stupid :?).
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Welcome z-man. It's nice to see you posting here ;)

It's difficult for me to express my feelings in english, but I'm very happy to see this post. Take this AA project more calmly and don't be pressed to code: I want to see you more in the grid ;p

To sum up my contribution to AA: I code tiny bits of AA trying to improve the only game that I usually play online. Really.

PS: I also warn to warn you that my c++ is totally noobish (only learned c). But I want to improve my c++ knowledge ;)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The only thing you've left out, Z-man, is what name you're going by on the grid.....

(of course, I'm enough of a noob that I still want to see how I compare to the original, right?)

I also wanted to tell you that this is the *best* lightcycle game ever. Whatever you were smoking when you dreamed up the balance and interface, please send some over to the states (even though it's probably illegal over here).
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Nice to hear from you! Sorry I thought you might be working at McDonalds. :)
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

*dies blissfully and goes to heaven*

:D to the power of a googolplex

welcome :mrgreen:

(btw i bet you don't remember me but i was that freak who got blisters from overloading the client in-game chat cache while playing on your old test server (which just crashed my client) :D
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Hi z-man and welcome aboard.

Its nice to see that your arrival coincide with a new burst of activity. It must be some preemptive effect of your presence. I feel personnaly flattered that you choose to join us. It feels really great.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Wow, what a warm welcome. Thanks, everybody!

iceman: I can promise nothing :) Hope you hid it well. If I cannot find it, I cannot fix it, right? ( In fact, I don't know what code you are talking about. Man, have I lost track... )

SuPerTaRD: wow, some of the artwork is truly amazing. Getting it neatly integrated into the game with a nice browser should be one of our feature priorities.

Tank and klax: You both seem to be victims of the misconception that if person A does not understand person B's code, that makes person B the better programmer. In reality, that just means that B is a lousy documentator who probably does not understand his own workings most of the time...

Lucifer: Sorry, but I live in Germany, not the Netherlands. All smokable substances that are illegal on your side of the oacean are illegal here, too :( . Our police just does not usualy bother with it and the possesion of small amounts is not punished. And amsterdam is only an hour away... Nah, you just give me unhealthy ideas! Stop it!
On the grid, I usually call myself Z-Man, too ( Z-Man@work or Z-Man@home or Z-Man_testing if I feel the distinction is required ).

ishAdmin: Gaa! That would be my personal hell!

n54: sure I remember that :)

philipeqc: I surely am curious how your world modification will turn out. We'll probably have to go truly 3D in the rendering and camera control code.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:Tank and klax: You both seem to be victims of the misconception that if person A does not understand person B's code, that makes person B the better programmer. In reality, that just means that B is a lousy documentator who probably does not understand his own workings most of the time...
Quite possibly... I just feel bad cause my code looks bad is all, or, er... Yeah anyway. The stuff iceman is talking about is in rFont.cpp, but I fixed 98% of the display problems it causes, so it's A-OK to leave it in. :D
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Way Cool!

Post by locutus »

Welcome back Z-Man!! This will be awesome, at the very least....

:D
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Never on anymore, just wanted to say hey to the man who made me happy a while back :D
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

My god, thank you for giving me one of the best damn games I have ever played.
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

Hey z-man, Armagetron is pretty much the only game I play on the computer anymore. Thanks a lot for making it. :>