New furniture: Unplanned wiki down time

Something wrong with it? Got an idea for it? Post here.

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

New furniture: Unplanned wiki down time

Post by Lucifer »

In a little bit, the wiki will be going down. I have to physically rearrange the little area of my bedroom that it's in. It's unplanned downtime, I hope nobody *needs* the wiki for a few hours.

What happened is my in-laws dumped some shelves on us that caused us to rearrange part of our living room to incorporate them (we knew the shelves were coming, we didn't know when or what we'd do with them). As a result, I've freed up the TV stand, which is going to become the new home of the server in my bedroom.

I probably could take a few days and give warning and stuff, but that'll leave something of a serious mess in my living room in the meantime. So I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Maybe thats a stupid question, but why are the mainsite, wiki, forum etc. all hosted on different servers? And sometimes even at home?
- bel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, it's not a stupid question, but the answer makes a lot of sense.

First, Money. To get a server not hosted at home, we either need someone to give us charity, or we need to put up money.

Second, we have a lot of web servers going. You mentioned a few, there's also the resource repository. I recently added two sites for the buildbot that don't *have* to be on this server. I guess personally I host a master server, the wiki, the buildbot (which needs a little more work), and I think that's it. Luke's got aabeta and the resource repository, tank's got the forums and he manages the main site, which is on sourceforge.

Is that all of them? Er, no. Tank's added to svn two more master servers that he intends to host, wrtlprnft has a master server, z-man's got a master server, and there's one more and I always forget who has it. Is it Antix that has the fourth? Those kind of require our own servers, but if we were to convert them to web applications we could probably offload them onto a not-dedicated web hosting setup. But that's not a trivial job, either, nor do I even know if it's required.

So, all that said, consider now the amount of administrative work that is required to keep all these things going. I probably come in somewhere around 20 hours every 6 months in work on the wiki that's explicitly for the wiki. A lot of the work I do to maintain the wiki server is rolled into work I do in general for my web server (which hosts my personal web site and some other things). I would expect that the others put in comparable amounts of time in their servers. Some of the time we each put in could be combined if it were all hosted on one server, but some of it could not. Which means someone would have to absorb the whole workload required to maintain all this stuff.

And finally, one server provides a single point of failure. We're trying to move away from a single point of failure for anything. At least now if the wiki goes down, y'all can come over here to do stuff (think about the tournament managing going on over there, and it was sadly down during a recent ladle, but the reason it was down is fixed now). If the forums go down, discussion can happen elsewhere, usually irc. The main website is pretty damn reliable, so people can always download the game, no problem, with it. (Yeah, I know, they can always use the sourceforge pages too)

Anyway, the wiki is back up again and my bedroom is a lot cleaner. Now where should I put the filing cabinet the server used to sit on?

- Iron Maiden
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Lucifer wrote:[…], and there's one more and I always forget who has it. Is it Antix that has the fourth?
No, it's iF :P
There's no place like ::1
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

need to put all on shelves ? :P
Attachments
2007-01-30-161156-1.png
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh.
Attachments
desktop.png

- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Lucifer wrote:Hmmm, it's not a stupid question, but the answer makes a lot of sense.

First, Money. To get a server not hosted at home, we either need someone to give us charity, or we need to put up money.
Ask me for charity, I can give a little. :D

Z-man already has access to a virtual system of mine.
(http://hosteurope.de/produkt/VPS-Linux-XXL-2.0 with Debian 3.1)
Lucifer wrote:And finally, one server provides a single point of failure. We're trying to move away from a single point of failure for anything.
True, good point, imho the most important. If just the database on a single server is an option, I am sure one could come up with some way of loadbalacing the http requests using DNS or this (http://spootnik.org/hoststated/hoststat ... ction.html).

About the other stuff... yes, there need to be multiple master servers but I wasn't talking about them, just the forums, mainsite, beta, wiki stuff.

However, it is fine how it works now. =)
- bel
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Who needs shelves?

And yes it is just sitting on one piece of string. (AMD K6-2@450mhz, 128mb)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Please tell us that's where the forums are. :)

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Alas, if only. Not enough bandwith there (or open ports) to host anything good. Well... I suppose I could make it a mirror of the forums database...
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

doesn't the sound of the fans and such from the machines keep you up?

Do you have a basement? They make really nice server rooms :)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Tank Program wrote:Alas, if only. Not enough bandwith there (or open ports) to host anything good. Well... I suppose I could make it a mirror of the forums database...
so what is that then your PC?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Swampy wrote:doesn't the sound of the fans and such from the machines keep you up?
I can't sleep without it. :) Who needs a white noise generator?
Do you have a basement? They make really nice server rooms :)
No basement, sorry.

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

kyle wrote:so what is that then your PC?
It's just a slave. And to put that picture in perspective, that bulletin board is right above my bed which is against that wall. :roll:
squash

Post by squash »

how old r u and what r those programs that were all up and what were they for