Illegal Exit 03

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Illegal Exit 03

Post by Concord »

free kill always wins the stats
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

So, before this thread gets buried... If you had to chose a format for the next IE, which appeals more: 5v5 or 1 versus All? (Neither with bots.) Of course we can still do 4x2 and 3v3, but I like to try different ideas. This is a great format for experimentation.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

I like teammates. I'd feel buried if it were every man for himself.

And thanks sine for hosting this :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

5 vs 5 over LMS for me.
he said.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tron:Legacy had some 5v5 action. It can possibly make for more team action, like Fortress has. I'll look into it.
Slickster
Round Winner

Post by Slickster »

Yeah 5v5 could be fun!
Concord

Post by Concord »

In 5v5, I know that I would just box myself and camp. I'd be thinking, I don't need to kill anyone, because if enemies die, my team gets points. Similarly, I'm thinking, if I die, my opponents are closer to victory.

Free for all would be the exact opposite. I'm thinking I need to attack, because if enemies die, I'm most likely not getting the points. Also, unless I'm killed by the point leader, I'm not closer to losing if I die.

Here's something. A 5v5 or 4v4 is the opening round. The winning team then does a free for all in the final. (Back when Ladles were 8v8, I always the "winning" team to split and do a 4v4, and then a 2v2, and then a 1v1)
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

I like conc's idea, use a team, then betray them! :twisted:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Congratz LFO! :)

:x Tried to come but the thunderstorm didn't stop -.-
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Aw I'm late to the discussion.
Yeah I think camping will dominate the action if it's 5v5, for the reasons concord put so well. I'd still be willing to play and bring some aggressive spirit to the match tho ^^

a 1vsAll elimination tourney in one server (and one match) could be much fun. We can choose certain scores where the bottom players get cut off. For example if we're 12 persons from the start, when someone reaches 10 points, the last 2 are gone. At 15, another two are gone. So with 20 and 25, leaving us with 4 players after one player has reached 25 points.
I'm going to assume that the scores will be fairly even by then, but even if they aren't it's all fair. 1v1v1v1 is a reasonable final, so how about setting a limit_score somewhere good from there.
The 10/15/20/25 are just examples, I bet you can think of something more appropriate.
I think elimination is good if we're gonna do 1vsAll. It means all players are close to the (score-)action at some point, and the strong players can't just keep getting easy points from the weaker ones.

(If you lower the teams_max to less than are in use right now, the game will automatically leave out the ones on bottom, so we just need to have an admin present for it to work out.)
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Aww, couldn't make it this time (sorry Word).

Congratz to winners, losers - you suck :P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:If you lower the teams_max to less than are in use right now, the game will automatically leave out the ones on bottom...
I didn't know that. Cool. Sure beats manually kicking someone to spectator for a few rounds.

The only thing I don't like about elimination is that it makes the grid sparse. I want to see more people playing, even if they are losing.

As I think about 5v5, I'm having a hard time separating it from Incam Fortress in my mind. I would be tempted to reduce the trail length or make modifications to the settings we've spend so much time perfecting. 1vAll would be easier for me to test (I'm thinking about using my map from AI Challenge because it's so cool).

I'll look into this next month and see what I come up with. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

pike wrote:Aww, couldn't make it this time (sorry Word).

Congratz to winners, losers - you suck :P
me neither. :?
Concord

Post by Concord »

another idea, to add a bit of kick to a free for all.

teams of 3 sign up. let's imagine 6 teams. Each player plays in 3 games of 6 players and never plays in a game with a teammate. This means each team plays 9 games. Teams are awarded points based on where their players finish in games. 1st place 6 pts, 2nd 5 pts, 3rd, 4 pts, etc.

This would have a couple consequences I think. The first is that in later games, crafty opponents might want to team up to target someone based on their team's score. The second is the rather ugly possibility of players just intentionally dying on someone to ensure someone else doesn't win. I think more likely is that no one can keep track of the other team's points and just play. The positive is that we still get to be on teams and that everyone gets to play in 3 meaningful games
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Concord wrote:another idea, to add a bit of kick to a free for all.
It's cool. I'm not sure IE is the format for it though. Could we get enough players to make it worth-while?

Man I wish there were a good free-for-all tournament in Arma. It's seriously lacking. What are the chances of us hijacking the settings from a popular deathmatch server like MudPuddle for something like this? Those are settings a lot of people know and like. We need some deathmatch tournament that can be either singles or teams.