What I want in a source editor

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Lucifer
Project Developer

What I want in a source editor

Post by Lucifer »

You know how you can alt-arrow your way among words in a source editor? I want my alt-arrow to understand that a variable is a complete word, including the $. I also want it to understand that $this->something is a complete word.

I'd also like alt-arrow to go through camelCase words treating each in-word as separate words, so that I can alt-arrow my way through thisVariableNameIsTooLong and quickly insert thisStupidVariableNameIsTooLong.

I realize these two wants are contradictory, but I DON'T CARE. I want them both.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
lock646

Reliance

Post by lock646 »

You know how you can alt-arrow your way among words in a source editor? I want my alt-arrow to understand that a variable is a complete word, including the $. I also want it to understand that $this->something is a complete word.
Please tell me how that is relivat to any of this.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Re: Reliance

Post by Walking Tree »

lock646 wrote:
Please tell me how that is relivat to any of this.
to any of what ?
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Don't know if I'll accomplish this particular goal (seeing as how it's pretty self-contradictory), but I finally started my own source editor. Needs pyQt3 (surprise surprise), which usually comes with QScintilla. If yours doesn't, you'll need it. Currently only works in Linux and even then it's only known to run from within the source directory. Need autotools.

What do you expect after only 4 hours?

svn co https://svn.davefancella.com/dste/trunk/dste

Note that a lot of stuff that will eventually be configurable is hardcoded, like any other program hot out of the oven. In this case, though, the hardcoded things are likely to irritate the hell out of anybody who doesn't like 4 spaces for tabs, autoindent, and a couple of other things. Sorry. Send a patch.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: What I want in a source editor

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:I'd also like alt-arrow to go through camelCase words treating each in-word as separate words, so that I can alt-arrow my way through thisVariableNameIsTooLong and quickly insert thisStupidVariableNameIsTooLong.
In Xcode and TextMate there are two ways of moving by “words”. One is by using option-arrow which skips around by words like normal. The other is called SubWord movement, and you do it with ctrl-arrow. It moves through camelCase words and such.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, that's admittedly a minor thing. :) I was really irritated when I started this thread, and I even remember why, I must have been traumatized by the experience.

So my stupid text editor will check the top directory in the current directory tree (think of it like a project directory) for a "templates" directory and then populate a combobox on the toolbar with the files in it, and when you select something in that combobox, a new document is created with the contents of that file inserted. I'm trying to avoid having it become language-centric, and instead have the things it does work for all languages so I can use the same workflow for everything I do. Anyway, what other idioms have y'all seen for project templates? Arma has src/prototype. cpp/h . What else have you seen?

Also, do you know of any web-based trackers that also have xml-rpc or soap interfaces? Or any RPC interface for that matter. I looked at the plugin for trac and it's only for 0.10, and worse it's only for a specific revision of the trunk. My trac is 0.9.6 and gentoo doesn't have 0.10 in portage, so I'm curious what else is out there. One thing I've been wanting for a while is for my text editor to integrate with the trackers I use.

(svn and cvs integration is planned, but no telling when I'll do it. Probably when I get irritated enough to do it)

- Iron Maiden