Windows Compile HOW-TO?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Windows Compile HOW-TO?

Post by llaffer2 »

I've tried off and on many times to try to compile this in windows with zero success.

Is someone who knows how to do it able to make a HOW-TO type of doc that walks through what is needed to compile it?

TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Last thing i heard on the subject was iceman made a lot of adjustments and compiled through dos....mabye you should just stick witht he betas.
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Re: Windows Compile HOW-TO?

Post by Luke-Jr »

llaffer2 wrote:I've tried off and on many times to try to compile this in windows with zero success.

Is someone who knows how to do it able to make a HOW-TO type of doc that walks through what is needed to compile it?

How about the README-CVS file? :)
TiTnAsS wrote:Last thing i heard on the subject was iceman made a lot of adjustments and compiled through dos....mabye you should just stick witht he betas.
... wtf? compiling through DOS will never be supported...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Windows Compile HOW-TO?

Post by Lucifer »

Luke-Jr wrote:
TiTnAsS wrote:Last thing i heard on the subject was iceman made a lot of adjustments and compiled through dos....mabye you should just stick witht he betas.
... wtf? compiling through DOS will never be supported...
He's thinking about when iceman used MingW or something like that to do it and had to hack command.com with his disassembler or something to extend the line length, more than likely.

llaffer: Have you tried downloading Dev-CPP and using that? I don't know when it was last used, but I've been under the impression K's been testing regularly against free software build systems (MingW and Dev-CPP I think, maybe Cygwin too, don't know for a fact, though). I could be wrong, but give it a shot. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Isn't the README in the armagetronad_build_visualc folder enough? If not, complain with the author (whoops, that's partly me) or ask specific questions. What have you roughly done so far, what sources are you trying to use, and at what point did you hit the wall?
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Or try downloading the armagetronad_build_codeblocks to compile it in windows with a free IDE and compiler (Code::Blocks).

There is a README.txt with really easy steps.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

I didn't see that there was other things to download from cvs (like the winlibs, etc.)

I have it compiling now. Thanks for pointing me in the right place.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

ok - spoke too soon -- I had some compiling errors :

Code: Select all

h:\work\arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gcycle.cpp(1374): fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR  (compiler file 'f:\vs70builds\3077\vc\Compiler\Utc\src\P2\x86\fppeeps.c', line 1368)
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tools\tRecorder.cpp(600): error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(238): error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'rScreenSize'
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(246): error C2065: 'max' : undeclared identifier
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(246): error C2228: left of '.width' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(247): error C2228: left of '.width' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(247): error C3861: 'max': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(248): error C2228: left of '.height' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(248): error C3861: 'max': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(249): error C2228: left of '.height' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(249): error C3861: 'max': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(260): error C2228: left of '.height' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(260): error C2228: left of '.width' must have class/struct/union type
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(260): error C3861: 'max': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\tron\gMenus.cpp(260): error C3861: 'max': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\ui\uInput.cpp(408): error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\ui\uInput.cpp(408): error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\ui\uInput.cpp(415): error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
H:\work\Arm\armagetronad\src\ui\uInput.cpp(415): error C2668: 'fabs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
I'm not too thrilled about that first one.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Windows client cannot be compiled right now with Visual C++ 2002 (VC7, the one you are using) or Visual C++ 2003 (VC7.1) because all those errors. I believe only windows server can be compiled with those compilers from cvs right now.

You have two choices to build windows client in windows:
- use Visual C++6 (-> armagetronad_build_visualc)
- use Code::Blocks (-> armagetronad_build_codeblocks)
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

I got it to work with CodeBlocks. Never heard of them before. interesting idea. :)

I used the free Microsoft C++ compiler with it, and it worked great.

My name shows up again on 2.7 servers!! :) and doens't look like ____r__ on 2.8 servers.
meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

I tried and I failed. After finally finding this thread, I followed the directives in

armagetronad_build_codeblocks/README

to the letter. Building armagetron.workspace/armagetron/Release, I only had to fix one minor bug [1] to compile, but then the linker complained about missing libs for the windows libraries - apparently the workspace does not contain build instructions for those.

edit: The workspace refers to the neccessary projects, but the project files are not in CVS. I've asked klaxnek to put them there.

Regards
meriton

[1] current CVS/armagetronad/src/tron/egame.cpp:1821 reads:
uWebInterface::Shutdown();
I assume this should be withhin an #ifdef DEDICATED ? (It is not).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, I'm basically following these instructions for the GCC build in Windows. The only difference is that I use makedist.bat from armagetronad_build_visualc. I did not have to import/convert any projects, I just open the .workspace in code::blocks and build.

Oh, that reminds me: if you build the whole workspace, you need to move the armagetronad project all the way down, the libraries need to be compiled first. I'll commit the change to SF.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

nice z-man. I didn't think about that easy solution for building all the projects in codeblocks hehe
meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

I deleted the dist directory and used the other makedist. The problem persists:

Linking executable: ..\dist\armagetronad.exe
mingw32-g++.exe: ..\armagetronad_winlibs\SDL\VisualC\SDL\Release\SDL.lib: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: ..\armagetronad_winlibs\SDL_image\VisualC\Release\SDL_image.lib: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: ..\armagetronad_winlibs\SDL_mixer\VisualC\Release\SDL_mixer.lib: No such file or directory

Where do I get the *.libs from?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

.libs? Instead of those, my code::blocks would be looking for corresponding .a files in ../dist.

Ahh, now I understand. You're working from the CVS trunk, and I'm on branch b0_2_8. IIRC, there were some improvements made to the build, especially the building of SDL and companions via mingw, before, you had to use a build from VisualC. Right, Klax?

I'll merge back the branch to the trunk as soon as we know beta4 is a more suitable mergeback point than beta2 and beta3 were.