Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
asdasd
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Armagetron is NOT dead, here's why and how to keep growi

Post by asdasd »

Amaso wrote:Their is no thaumaturge no where to be found so save your hopes. At the end of this post you fvcking idiots won't do anything. Here is an idea start a YouTube channel; with all those ladle recordings Z-Man has...sigh.
+1
Image ImageImageImage
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I think the official servers idea could really help to increase this game's popularity.
Playing since December 2006
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

asdasd wrote:
Amaso wrote:Their is no thaumaturge no where to be found so save your hopes. At the end of this post you fvcking idiots won't do anything. Here is an idea start a YouTube channel; with all those ladle recordings Z-Man has...sigh.
+1
Says the two of the angry people on these forums that insist on posting on how dead this game is. You have ideas, and insist on others implementing them. If you think a YouTube channel should be setup with said videos, do the conversions, make the videos and do it. Talk like this is pretty pointless. Just like you guys calling out DEADGAME every chance you get is pointless.

Some of us still love this game, are active, and are doing things to try to improve things. If you are not willing to help or do things, then why must you cry out deadgame constantly?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
asdasd
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by asdasd »

deadgame
Image ImageImageImage
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

@compguygene: I've started a YT channel not long ago but abandoned it to focus on real life situations such as the ISIS crisis; That is besides the point. What have you been doing besides Jerking off behind a computer screen?

@Devs: Another idea, make an insta chat that teaches new players to chat.
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

Amaso wrote:@compguygene: I've started a YT channel not long ago but abandoned it to focus on real life situations such as the ISIS crisis; That is besides the point. What have you been doing besides Jerking off behind a computer screen?

@Devs: Another idea, make an insta chat that teaches new players to chat.
The entire point of the chat is good, but with it we're assuming everyone that downloads this game speaks English. Why not making the same insta but 5 times in different languages?

My 2 Cents; "Presiona S para escribir un mensaje"
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Well, stuff like that is feasible I think - I wouldn't put it in the instant messages though. Maybe I'd add options for /players, /teams, /myteam, /drop, /login name@forums and a submenu for team-management: /shuffle (in fortress or CTF an infographic would help that explains the standard job of each position/demonstrates the initial grind); /(un)invite; /(un)lock and /teamleave. Even many old players don't know all of those.
(do we already have a "/join <team>" command?)

Perhaps it's wise to change the menu a bit, so that the console command appears when you select an option and players can easily learn how the console works, thus becoming more "literate".

Another crazy idea (hey Lucifer, you already elevated the "Tron Police"-topic to an actual plan), maybe it has been brought up before (by myself?!):

Is it possible to use the technology of .aarec-files so they work like a scripted tutorial? For example, you make a recording of a good fortress game, 6 players on each side, then transform that to a tutorial so that a player can re-enact a certain position. Of course that would require the original player (= his "ghost") to be absent from the game/transparent so that the learner can replace him (or do that with scripted bots if that's easier?). Long term plan for team games like fortress would be to spawn bot teams as soon as a player enters and make them good at fortress so that it's not as boring when you are alone for a long time; and then replace them whenever real players enter.

edit: Oh, already said that here
Last edited by Word on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

S0lutai wrote: but with it we're assuming everyone that downloads this game speaks English. Why not making the same insta but 5 times in different languages?

My 2 Cents; "Presiona S para escribir un mensaje"
+1

On install a player normally chooses his/her native language.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

This thread went in an entertaining and possibly useful direction.

I approve.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

compguygene wrote:
asdasd wrote:
+1
Says the two of the angry people on these forums that insist on posting on how dead this game is. You have ideas, and insist on others implementing them. If you think a YouTube channel should be setup with said videos, do the conversions, make the videos and do it. Talk like this is pretty pointless. Just like you guys calling out DEADGAME every chance you get is pointless.

Some of us still love this game, are active, and are doing things to try to improve things. If you are not willing to help or do things, then why must you cry out deadgame constantly?
+1

There are those who are behind the curtains, actually doing something.
And there are also some users who take it upon themselves to learn c++ just to be able to contribute something. It takes time to get to a useful point, but it will happen nonetheless.

Plus I don't think it's all that hard to make servers instead of asking the devs to do more work (that they won't do) when talking about scripted tutorials. Aren't there already some in 0.4?
If someone provides me a couple server slots (free hosting), I will gladly make "single player" / "tutorial" servers out of them.
I don't host any of my servers myself, and I won't be doing so (that's not how I am able to contribute). I'm willing to do all the work in making the server if someone provides the hosting space (that is one of the many ways I can contribute - if you need payment of some kind, ask me to work on something for you; be it a server, script, or website - we can make a deal).

Overall though, I don't think the answers are complicated. I think the solution is as simple as reviving the passion that many users seem to have lost.
Part of that solution (imo) is getting the community to be nicer to each other. Let's show every other gaming communities that a game community can be mature..? (am I hoping for too much here?)

Still though, lots of other useful ideas.
I've changed a lot of my default instant chats to be more useful, like:
From "/me just installed this game and still doesn't know how to talk."
To "/me just installed this game and still doesn't know that S is to talk."

I made mention about the language barriers in tron - and how the community is predominantly English.
I think multilingual instant chats can be useful, but will probably get replaced anyway.

Not that I don't like the ideas mentioned, I do, very much.
I'm glad to see people posting in here with the effort to improve things. It's nice.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Word wrote: Another crazy idea (hey Lucifer, you already elevated the "Tron Police"-topic to an actual plan), maybe it has been brought up before (by myself?!):
I did NOT. I stole the idea for a small group of servers!

Jackass. :)

I do see how the way I implement it for that small group of servers will influence the larger movement, don't get me wrong. And I want to see that happen.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I've just taken custody of one of my kids, and that act will occupy a fair amount of time.

I *will* get back to this project, I promise.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word

Post by Word »

I've just taken custody of one of my kids,
Congratulations!
asdasd
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by asdasd »

still a dead game
Image ImageImageImage
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Word wrote:Is it possible to use the technology of .aarec-files so they work like a scripted tutorial?
No. We do have the path following AI from the actual tutorials, but even they would desync and do stupid deadly mistakes because player action would change their timings. Of course, they could be refined to compensate for that.
Word

Post by Word »

OK, so I take it this is somewhere on the to-do list. :)

(Now I remember that we even had a PM exchange about this years ago...should just have checked that, sorry)