Hosting and DNS changes

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Hosting and DNS changes

Post by Z-Man »

Two annoying circumstances:
1. DYNDns is turning off their free dynamic dns resolution, which I am currently relying on for armagetron.kicks-ass.net and moosnet.homelinux.net, used here all over the place. I may or may not choose to pay for a year of continued service, but definitely not more than a year.
2. My VPS only has a tiny hardrive that is constantly running full of important stuff.
Additionally, my wife wants a new website and performance of the VPS as game server has been crappy ever since we moved the WIKI and main armagetronad site there.

So, plan: I ordered a new shared hosting package to be used for my wife and possibly for the WIKI and main armagetronad site, we'll have to test how well that performs. Once that is done, I'll get a new VPS with more hard drive space to take over all duties of the old one. Simple!

What changes for you:
1. When downloading my past game recordings, you need to manually adapt the link to point to home.simamo.de instead of moosnet.homelinux.de or armagetron-kicks-ass.net.
2. If you are still using 0.2.6 or any of the old versions that just support one master server, do the same adaption in settings/master.srv. Or better, put in master2.armagetronad.org. There won't be new builds.
Otherwise, hopefully, not much. There are bound to be outages during transition times. I'll announce them here.

First expected outage: Soon, in one or two days. The domain and content of simamo.de is going to switch hosts. Ordinarily, that would not affect you at all, but one of the masters is directly linked to the simamo.de main domain. Tank may need to adapt the master2.armagetronad.net DNS entry.
Also affected: Our zeroinstall distribution, that is also hosted on simamo.de. The automagic zeroinstall mirror system should cushion the switch.
takburger
Match Winner

Re: Hosting and DNS changes

Post by takburger »

thx for the warning, clear message and the servers
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:2. If you are still using 0.2.6 or any of the old versions that just support one master server, do the same adaption in settings/master.srv. Or better, put in master2.armagetronad.org. There won't be new builds.
May I suggest posting that as a sticky under Support > Armagetron Original.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Good idea.

The first step is complete without too much panic (*), masters and 0install should be properly linked up again. If not, notify me.

Now, onto testing whether this is good enough for our wiki. Performance of my wife's site has improved, so there is reason to hope.

*: I did put an IP into a CNAME DNS record by accident.