New, modern armagetron

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: New, modern armagetron

Post by Monkey »

Phytotron wrote:Armagetron is at its best when it's the pure, core game based on the original TRON lightcycle scene. That's what it should be for, but sadly they've already moved on from that. Haven't you noticed all the gimmicky game modes?
You present the above statments as facts rather than your own personal opinions. Assuming you consider fortress and sumo to be two of these "gimmicky" game modes, I and many other people would strongly disagree with you.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Monkey wrote:...I and many other people would strongly disagree with you.
I would not disagree, and I love Fortress. When I first played Armagetron online I stumbled into a Fortress server. I thought "well, this isn't Tron. It's fun, but it's not Tron, it's something else." I really see zone-based games as Tron-like at best.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

sinewav wrote:I would not disagree...
Ok, I did the same thing I have just criticised Phytotron for doing; I should have spoken for only myself as fact. I apologise.
sinewav wrote:...this isn't Tron...I really see zone-based games as Tron-like...
Phytotron said "Armagetron at its best" not "Tron at its best". The question is: What exactly is Armagetron?
www.armagetronad.net wrote: Armagetron is a multiplayer game in 3d that attempts to emulate and expand on the lightcycle sequence from the movie Tron. It's an old school arcade game slung into the 21st century. Highlights include a customizable playing arena, HUD, unique graphics, and AI bots. For the more advanced player there are new game modes and a wide variety of physics settings to tweak as well.
This states that Armagetron both "emulates" and "expands" on the lightcycle sequence from the movie tron. This seems to me to agree with my view of what Armagetron is. It would be interesting to hear what other people's views are, especially Z-man's.
sinewav wrote:...I love fortress.
Out of interest sine, what is/are you favourite game mode(s) in Armagetron?
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Good points.
Monkey wrote:Out of interest sine, what is/are you favourite game mode(s) in Armagetron?
3v3 incam deathmatch, of course! \o/
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Monkey wrote:
www.armagetronad.net wrote: Armagetron is a multiplayer game in 3d that attempts to emulate and expand on the lightcycle sequence from the movie Tron. It's an old school arcade game slung into the 21st century. Highlights include a customizable playing arena, HUD, unique graphics, and AI bots. For the more advanced player there are new game modes and a wide variety of physics settings to tweak as well.
This states that Armagetron both "emulates" and "expands" on the lightcycle sequence from the movie tron. This seems to me to agree with my view of what Armagetron is. It would be interesting to hear what other people's views are, especially Z-man's.
I have nothing to add to the quoted description. Meaningful expansion is indeed part of AA, it has been from the start. See: Acceleration logic. The one addition to our core distribution that I now view as gimmicky and pointless are the multiple driving directions; they add nothing meaningful, you just have to press the turn key more. And there is the simple fact that 90 degree turns are iconic and inherently computery. Light cycles are not honey bees. I'm glad that didn't explode in popularity.
Of the things people do with the game, many things I consider gimmicky. Zombies, shooting, styball, racing, xtreme rubber. CTF is fine. Anything that gives the core game of reckless driving on a grid some structure is fine by me. Give the players objectives beyond "kill those other guys".

And it's not that I don't listen to Phytotron. I just think he is wrong about zones, mostly.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Monkey wrote:You present the above statments as facts rather than your own personal opinions.
Oh please. It's assumed they're statements of opinion. A person doesn't have to qualify every statement of opinion with, "ok guys, this is just my opinion, so you might disagree, but this is just what I think personally, it's not really a fact in the objective scientific or logical sense, but just my personal opinion, so no offense or anything, just sayin' or w/e, lol."
Z-Man wrote:The one addition to our core distribution that I now view as gimmicky and pointless are the multiple driving directions ... many [other] things I consider gimmicky. Zombies, shooting, styball, racing, xtreme rubber.
Probably goes without saying I consider those the worst offenses. I don't care for Fortress or Sumo, but they're the least-worst. Actually, over those I prefer some of the things sinewav has done with zones, because they still manage to feel arcade-y.

Anyone who's actually followed and paid attention to my posts over the years knows that I'm not against change or expansion based on and in keeping with the original theme. Indeed, I've not only supported, but personally proposed a few things that aren't present in the Tron lightcycle scene. Some have been implemented (e.g., the situational acceleration settings, speed cap); and some haven't, either due to disinterest or current practical inability (e.g., shrinking arenas, speed cap that makes ya 'splode). I've even proposed alternate games modes. Here's a post that collects links to a few such suggestions. Although, I'm admittedly ambivalent about the existence of any type of zones at all.

I simply object to shoving all kinds of superfluous crap into the game that has no relation to its core concept, but is instead just shoved in there out of sheer programming hobbyism using Arma as a medium, or because kids have no imagination and just want to shove in other game mechanics (ramps, flying cycles, shooting, chainsaws, MMORPG, etc.). I think all that takes away from the uniqueness of the game, what made it special. It demeans it. Also, shoved.

This, contrary to the common and absurd caricatures certain people have erected concerning my views about the development of this game. I mean, look how that fool replies to my 2010 post. I had just given a lengthy description of how a King of the Hill mode could be implemented, and he replies saying "You always seem to be against anything that is not classic play." Of course, he's a massive troll, but that's also representative of how a lot of people view my view. People just don't listen or comprehend. Stupid.

That's a bit of a digression, but I guess call it a preemptive "inb4" or whatever.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Phytotron wrote:I don't care for Fortress or Sumo
What would you say, then, to a mode based on the looks and controls of the classic game, but with the objectives of fortress or sumo? I.E top-down fortress/sumo?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Adventures of TRON - Original Arcade

You think all I'm talking about is a top-down view? Like I'd suddenly like Fortress or Sumo with just a different camera angle? Something already achievable with the custom camera?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Well, I think Armagetron is just like, say, this Ingres painting of a naked woman with an anatomically incorrect backbone (PG 13?) that you don't really notice when you don't look for it. Most players haven't even seen or heard of Tron (well, before the 'sequel' came out). To me, fortress adds something genuinely new (although I'd agree that it hasn't evolved as much as it should have, due to the relatively small community); HR doesn't because it's impossible to lose once you're good.
testman

Post by testman »

So it has been quite a long time.

Is there still no interest for this kind of game?

With SteamOS coming and generally gaming on Linux on the rise, I think it would be the perfect time to make something like this.

ID Tech 4 is now 10 years old engine.

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

And in addition to Unity existing, Both Unreal and Cry Engines are now available for relatively affordable subscription fees (per seat, mind you, so probably still out of range for a simple freeware game). And all support or will support Linux and Macs. The thought is certainly tempting.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

testman wrote:Is there still no interest for this kind of game?
wtf grind center noobs omg reported
Boxed
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I can probably get a license for something that works with Mantle from my work, but then anything created with it would be 12% property of my corporation. No thankyou.

Also, a nod to testman for actually using an old topic rather than cluttering up the place. Forums need more people like you.