Team Sumo Request

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Team Sumo Request

Post by Titanoboa »

The sumo bar has been the most popular sumo type for over a year now, and I just got an idea that would make team sumo bar possible*. It would require some programming though, which is why I'm making this suggestion or request. I'll try to explain my idea, and if there's anyone who'd like to make it happen, I'd be thrilled and I'm sure it'd be a hit!
  • Every player would have an individual sumo zone. Just like in regular sumo. If you're out of the zone for too long, it collapses and you die, regardless of what your teammates do. (You don't get points for your teammates' zones.)
  • All the kills and zone captures go towards the team score (as well as your individual score, but that's purely decorative). Just like now.
  • I suppose team colors should be forced, so no change there either.
  • Spawn points? I suppose the current way (one team on each side**) works fine.
  • There's not much more to say, really. Questions? thoughts?
I guess you could think of it as an improved WST with a possibility for 4v4 or even 5v5.

*Yes, team sumo bar is already "possible", I know, but if it's like 4v4 or 5v5, one player can camp in the zone and the others can roam around and attack from outside the zone. This semi-lame strategy would be impossible in the "new" team sumo. Also, if this were implemented in CTOS, it'd be the same but without the frowned upon "leeching".
**Like, at the edge of the zone. Not WST-style. Please not WST-style.

So, you devs who know what kind of work would have to be done for this to happen, do you think it's worth the effort? Because I think the idea is solid.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Team Sumo Request

Post by Concord »

I like it and it's probably possible with zones v2, I'll look into it.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Sounds fun o.o

Post by Ratchet »

Even a regular team sumo with individual zones would be nice. If the first player on a team is out of a zone too long/dies it gets eradicated but no one gets any points for eradication. Once the second player dies/gets pushed out of zone, points are awarded for conquering the team base (as the second player's base gets conquered).

And, also - if programming is required - don't forget to set it so that the team zone is officially "conquered" once the last player on the team dies, not the second player. Not every team will have 2 players!
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean