libGLEW Outdated

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

libGLEW Outdated

Post by Light »

Could the client please be updated to use libGLEW 1.7? I'm able to run the game by making a link labeled libGLEW.so.1.5 linked to libGLEW.so.1.7, but I figure that's not the best solution.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: libGLEW Outdated

Post by Z-Man »

What build are you talking about?
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:What build are you talking about?
0.4_alpha_z2069
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sorry, I meant what build type. Zeroinstall, portable app, build from source.

The thing is, we can't change the version we link with, those builds are done with LTS releases of ubuntu for maximum compatibility, the only sane way to upgrade libraries is to upgrade the whole system. But: it should not be required. Missing libraries in the system should be replaced by libraries from our builds, visible like so:

Code: Select all

LD_DEBUG_APP=true 0launch -c -w strace 'http://simamo.de/0install/armagetronad-experimental.xml' 2>&1 | grep GLEW
open("/home/manuel/.cache/0install.net/implementations/sha256=d5f1719d5ad2f1ea560e5ff1da1db793e348ddca05bee6bbea3fed6c751453e4/lib/libGLEW.so.1.5", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
LD_DEBUG_APP=true gives our libs precedence over system libs. Could you check what that command does for you?
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Sorry, I meant what build type. Zeroinstall, portable app, build from source.

The thing is, we can't change the version we link with, those builds are done with LTS releases of ubuntu for maximum compatibility, the only sane way to upgrade libraries is to upgrade the whole system. But: it should not be required. Missing libraries in the system should be replaced by libraries from our builds, visible like so:

Code: Select all

LD_DEBUG_APP=true 0launch -c -w strace 'http://simamo.de/0install/armagetronad-experimental.xml' 2>&1 | grep GLEW
open("/home/manuel/.cache/0install.net/implementations/sha256=d5f1719d5ad2f1ea560e5ff1da1db793e348ddca05bee6bbea3fed6c751453e4/lib/libGLEW.so.1.5", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
LD_DEBUG_APP=true gives our libs precedence over system libs. Could you check what that command does for you?
It was built from source, but before I updated. Debian has had the 1.7 in their repo for a bit now, but they finally took out 1.5 and replaced them with 1.7. I don't really wanna go to a 0install build, so I would rather use a link than that. It works having the link, and when the game runs says using GLEW 1.7, so as far as I know, there's no problems. I just thought since it's been around for a little now, you would probably move up.

Ubuntu doesn't have 1.7 yet? They should at least have the package if they don't force the upgrade. Then any user with a problem would only have to install it.

On a side note. Couldn't you use 1.5 as a fallback if 1.7 ain't found?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Builds from source always use the version found at build or configure time. I guess you can see your problem there :) Reconfigure, rebuild, reinstall.

I don't know about the state of non-LTS or even current development Ubuntu, but 12.04 only has GLEW 1.5. And no, it's not easily possible to distinguish between different, possibly incompatible versions of a library at runtime, especially if one of the versions was not on the system at build time.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Builds from source always use the version found at build or configure time. I guess you can see your problem there :) Reconfigure, rebuild, reinstall.

I don't know about the state of non-LTS or even current development Ubuntu, but 12.04 only has GLEW 1.5. And no, it's not easily possible to distinguish between different, possibly incompatible versions of a library at runtime, especially if one of the versions was not on the system at build time.
Alright, I'll update it soon then. I figured it was hardcoded to use a particular version.

Thanks.