The worst things that have ever been written

Anything About Anything...
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: The worst things that have ever been written

Post by Kinda Slow »

Lucifer wrote:What if Jesus is alive today and his name is Richard Dawkins?

Considering his history of attempting to reform bad churches, how would that affect your viewpoint?
ooh, ooh!!... and what if the moon were really made of GREEN CHEESE!

Sorry, it seems I got off topic a wee bit.

edit: But I could see a page break coming.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Asides from being extremely hilarious, I don't think it's particularly wise to make posts like that... As I said previously, these issues are very personal to people, and although internet culture isn't the kindest place a lot of the time, we manage to maintain a reasonable level respect on these forums
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Dawkins is more Christ-like than the Pope. If that is is offensive, then the Catholic church needs a wake up call because it's the truth.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

It was more the green cheese...

But asides from that, what pope? :lol:
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

þsy wrote:Asides from being extremely hilarious, I don't think it's particularly wise to make posts like that... As I said previously, these issues are very personal to people, and although internet culture isn't the kindest place a lot of the time, we manage to maintain a reasonable level respect on these forums
Perhaps you missed my point. Did you notice the words, off topic? This thread was initially discussing the evaluation of written things. From what I can observe, it has degenerated into a platform for denigrating anything from mainline Christianity in the US to Catholicism and the Pope. Maybe the thread should be split into two discussions; one for the nomination of the worst thing ever written, and the other for the debate of the influence of Christianity in the world.

Oh yeah, and as far as being particularly wise, maybe you didn't notice my name. :wink:
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Yeah, and that's exactly what I'm trying to do - keep things from degenerating into something nasty. It is 'off topic' (though I don't know why we're so obsessed with keeping things 'on topic' all the time), but your comment says "I got off topic a wee bit", not 'this thread has gotten off topic a wee bit', so you didn't refer to the thread at all

But thanks for implying that I'm "Kinda Slow ;)", you're probably a really kind human being
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

compguygene wrote:I view Homosexuality as a sin....
And there's the fundamental problem—and I say, immorality. It is an assault on human dignity, at its very core. So long as people continue to believe that someone is "sinful" for their very existence—not a choice, not a behavior, like prostitution or tax collecting—then anti-gay bigotry, both social and legal, will persist. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is a fallacy.

Kinda Slow wrote:edit: But I could see a page break coming.
Stop trying to troll me, minister.

So, no Pope! So, there's currently no one on Earth to communicate God's word! This is our chance! Anyway, here's my nomination for the next Pope: Father Reginald "Reggie I" Foster. Of course, I don't get a say, not because I'm not a Catholic, since Catholics don't even get a say, but because Vatican City is a dictatorship.
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

Phytotron wrote:Stop trying to troll me, minister.
Didn't mean to wake you, your highness.
þsy wrote:But thanks for implying that I'm "Kinda Slow ;)", you're probably a really kind human being
I fail to see how calling myself Kinda SLOW could be aimed at you. Didn't mean any offense.

Out of respect for the multiplicity of opinions here, I will bow out.

I just want to play.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Any topic that stays on topic after the first page should be deleted because it is a freak.

Anyway, it's a serious question. Supposedly, Jesus originally appeared to fix the problems in the existing church and ended up founding a new one. When you look at the Christian church and how it's developed over the last 2000 years, it makes perfect sense that if God were to do the same reform trick, he'd send an atheist.

Alternately, considering that God as essentially a paternalistic entity, it likewise makes sense that he may view the human race as advanced enough not to need his leadership anymore and would send down an atheist to end the church entirely.

So, serious question: If Jesus were to appear today, why WOULDN'T he be an atheist?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer, your posts always are referring to mainline, corrupted, not real but fake for the most part Christianity. Sinewav, you say that I should be calling out leaders within Christianity that are wrong. I do. Within my own church, I have been the point person on causing change in the culture and attitudes on not judging people, in particular on the issue of homosexuality. My own son was kinda drummed out when he came out. He has, of course, left the church. I have been able to use the mistakes made and sins committed by the leadership involved as a start of major changes in how these issues are handled. Also, in other forums and other places I have called out the idiocy of the church at large on these issues, and I have begun the steps needed to build a real audience and platform for a larger voice for myself on these issues. The first step being the book I am writing at the moment.
Those, who like myself feel that the mainline Christian Church has become very corrupted in so many ways are a very large and significant minority within the Evangelical Christian Church Movement of which I am a part.
As stated, we are gonna just have to agree to disagree on the point of Atheism vs. Theism.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:So, serious question: If Jesus were to appear today, why WOULDN'T he be an atheist?
Aw, low self-esteem.

What do you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with an Atheist? A person who knocks on your door for no reason at all.

compguygene wrote:As stated, we are gonna just have to agree to disagree....
I see disagreement as an active process—an action verb, not a noun. When someone says, "let's agree to disagree," I take that as meaning we'll continue to actively disagree and debate/argue with each other, as an ongoing, indefinite activity. :twisted: :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

compguygene wrote:Lucifer, your posts always are referring to mainline, corrupted, not real but fake for the most part Christianity.
Who are YOU to say it's fake, anyway? What if it IS real and YOU are the one practicing the fake stuff?

And, you know, you didn't answer the question....
Phytotron wrote:
Lucifer wrote: So, serious question: If Jesus were to appear today, why WOULDN'T he be an atheist?
Aw, low self-esteem.
I don't see the connection. Enlighten?

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

If Jesus were an atheist, that would mean he didn't believe in himself.
Attachments
Fozzie.jpeg
Fozzie.jpeg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ahhhhh hahahaha... I did laugh out loud. :lol:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:If Jesus were an atheist, that would mean he didn't believe in himself.
So atheists don't believe in themselves?

I don't see an automatic contradiction there. And you seemed to have glossed over my reasoning.

- Iron Maiden