Python: GUI's, Exe's, and things like that.

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Python: GUI's, Exe's, and things like that.

Post by sinewav »

chrisd wrote:Well, Sine, no need to despair yet.... This PyInstaller thing might get updated. Maybe you could file a bug report describing what you did or people there could help you. Does that project have a mailing list?
Meh, I'm burnt out right now. I think I was taking on too much for my level of experience. There seems to be a problem with the bridge between Python 2.5 and 2.6. Some stuff only works in the previous version and some in the later. The end result is no clear path to making this distributable as an EXE. I'll look into it later when I have more energy. Right now I'm trying to focus on my accomplishments rather than my failure to complete my goal.

In the meantime, I've decided to resurrect a project I started last year in Java, now converted to Python. This one is MUCH simpler and doesn't include a bunch of third-party APIs. After I teach myself the basics of project development/management, I'll look back to that wind chime program with a new set of eyes, hopefully, assuming I've picked up something valuable on the way.

RASP
Attachments
rasp.png
rasp.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
raph
Average Program

Post by raph »

Yesterday I had to write a Python program that solves sudoku puzzles of dimension n (1-9) in 50 minutes :( Was my practical exam for CS and I couldn't get it finished in time.
noob13
Average Program

Post by noob13 »

raph123 wrote:Yesterday I had to write a Python program that solves sudoku puzzles of dimension n (1-9) in 50 minutes :( Was my practical exam for CS and I couldn't get it finished in time.
That's not an easy task, and more about being able to wrap your head around the logic/algorithm than actually knowing how to program. Not a very good way to measure skill in my opinion.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

raph123 wrote:Yesterday I had to write a Python program that solves sudoku puzzles of dimension n (1-9) in 50 minutes :( Was my practical exam for CS and I couldn't get it finished in time.
Dimension as in size or as in "the sudoku consists of 9^n spaces"? I was assuming "size" but then realized that it is a bit unclear. a 9x9 sudoko has 9 3x3 blocks, but this makes no sense if the size of the sudoku is not a square number....
raph
Average Program

Post by raph »

Dimension as in if n == 4, its a 4x4 sudoku thus having 16 spots. Ya I guess the algorithm they wanted us to use is backtracking. Meh kinda sucked
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This new project of mine has it's first release for Linux. I have no plans to release it on any other system since this tool exist in other forms for Mac/Win (though it would be dead-easy to do -- it's straight Python). The lack of a tool like this on Linux was my primary motivation. My goal for 2012 is to get this into a distro. So, you know, any advice would be great.

I'm clumsily making my way through this stuff. I still don't really understand bazaar, versioning, launchpad, debian packages, make files, and anything else really, haha. So far it's just been dumb luck reaching this stage. I guess right now I should promote this tool a little and see if I get some feedback. Maybe some Linux audio devs can mentor me or something.