Racing Patch

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
animuson
On Lightcycle Grid

Racing Patch

Post by animuson »

After the years of complaining and blah blah blah, here is all I have left of the racing patch.

The only file I recall needing modification was src/tron/gWinZone.cpp but that was a long time ago so I don't remember. I'm sure if there's anything wrong you can figure it out from the compilation errors. This is just a random build off an old flash drive that happens to have racing patch code in it, I don't remember at all if it actually compiles or if there is anything else I might have coded inside it. Anyways, you can pick it apart and convert it to the newer versions, whatever you want to do with it. I will have no part in helping with any code, don't come asking me questions about it.

-- Removed, see below. --
Last edited by animuson on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Racing Patch

Post by INW »

the link brings up a "missing page".

I followed all the solution options and none of them worked. (LOL!)

Did u give us the wrong link or was the entire patch deleted like u suggested earlier?
animuson
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by animuson »

You have to copy paste the link into a new window. My server doesn't allow access to files when HTTP_REFERER is not from my server.

P.S. It's not a 404 error, it's a 403 error. I just don't have a 403 error page built so it returns the 404 error page since it can't find it. (It displays the 403 in the page title though.)
INW

Post by INW »

This is a question toward other people with experience with patches because Animuson has too much stuff going on nor does he want to explain the entire field of what ever this is to me unless I pay him (I would do the same because it seems very complex and a waste of time to explain it to a noob for free).

This patch...how do patches work? Such as, how does one analyze them, take them apart, or even use them? Is it simply downloading the file and placing it in the "var" folder for it to work?

As you can tell, I am new to this stuff and I'm sure no one wants to explain/teach me everything about it. Maybe someone could redirect me to a page/web site that can teach me about this and what to do with this patch and other patches.

I do know the simple sty+ct patch...I just downloaded that one and it works in my server. Now for this race patch, how or where would I save/use that? Of course I would use it in a server for racing but where would I save it and how would it be used?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

This isn't a patch, but the complete source archive with the changes included. You'd just compile it like a regular bzr checkout. And yes, this one, you need to compile, if I understand it correctly.
INW

Post by INW »

i guess it is a project for tron programmers to get it to the "download and play format."

(:
animuson
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by animuson »

It's uncompiled source code, it's not something you can simply download and run like the Windows executables that you have probably been using. No executable file exists for this, it's never been compiled in Windows before so good luck with that. If I recall correctly, both Pink Tomatoes and I ran this on Ubuntu and hoop never actually ran his own versions of it for anything other than testing.

:pacman: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot:

I'm not a programmer anymore so I am not obligated to help.
INW

Post by INW »

I guess building off of this topic...maybe should be posted in support but w/e...

I was wondering if someone could redirect me to a software or a web site that teaches me the basics of building patches involving source coding and such.

I would just like to get a taste of it to see if I'm interested in really learning how to program.

Later replies may be further moved or deleted to prevent "off topic 'spam'."
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

INW wrote:I would just like to get a taste of it to see if I'm interested in really learning how to program.
Programming yourself is actually easier, technically, than compiling a biggish project with dependencies.
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

animuson wrote:The only file I recall needing modification was src/tron/gWinZone.cpp but that was a long time ago so I don't remember.
The files modified are:

language/english_base.txt
src/Makefile.am
src/engine/ePlayer.cpp
src/engine/ePlayer.h
src/tron/gGame.cpp
src/tron/gWinZone.cpp
src/tron/gWinZone.h

in c++ source files, search for the string "//hack race" to find the changes.

new files:
src/tron/gRace.cpp
src/tron/gRace.h

The race "mod" won't work unless you turn

Code: Select all

race_timer_enabled 1
Use "race_end_delay" to set how many seconds the other players have to reach the winzone after it has been hit the first time. Use -1 for endless time.
animuson
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by animuson »

The racing build is now available on Bazaar along with the other modifications I've made to it.

https://code.launchpad.net/~absolute-pu ... ty+ct+race

Don't use the download, it is broken somehow, I don't know what's wrong with it.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

Does anybody happen to still have this, and is able to give it out?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Found by searching launchpad for 'armagetronad race': https://code.launchpad.net/~registry/ar ... ty+ct+race