octa... hecta... tile problems

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

took the time and remade floor_a this time every pixil should be aligned correctly. noticable improvement on the grid but it still un aligned correctly.

now im starting to think it may be because its not a perfect square
Attachments
floor_a.png
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Your_mom wrote:took the time and remade floor_a this time every pixil should be aligned correctly. noticable improvement on the grid but it still un aligned correctly.

now im starting to think it may be because its not a perfect square
Did you draw the shape by hand? I think its not tessellating correctly for the dual texture is because all the sides are not the same length. I am trying to fit a tessellating pattern of hectagons into a square canvas, and its not working :!:
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Well nemo im not gonna lie to you about how i made the floor tile...

well heres the first working hexagon tile with dual texturing support its not the prettiest thing to look at but its a proof of concept for anyone who wants to make a dualtexture supported floor. So i made a real simple 20 x 20 tile, yeah they may not really be hexagons but shhh they sure look like it. i'ld like to thank nemo jonathan and n54 for all the help.

the low quality hex flooring and a gif pic showing off the enhancement !!!
Attachments
Low res hex.zip
nice and pixilated like gradma used to make
(971 Bytes) Downloaded 503 times
look at the improved image quality i amaze even myself
look at the improved image quality i amaze even myself
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Nice work mom 8) Everything lines up perfectly. I'm still working on mine :|
Attachments
A cropped portion of Your_mom's "hexagon" dual-texture floor. 2 Layers, the top has 50% opacity, but they line up perfectly so you can't tell.
A cropped portion of Your_mom's "hexagon" dual-texture floor. 2 Layers, the top has 50% opacity, but they line up perfectly so you can't tell.
cropped_no_offset.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

I haven't done anything since last post but I'm just wondering why some times the method we've found works and why some times it doesn't... any ideas?
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

n54 wrote:I haven't done anything since last post but I'm just wondering why some times the method we've found works and why some times it doesn't... any ideas?
i think its just the way its done. it shades well, like your green/red examples can be done without tiling the floor_a (_b)(bo real sharp details just intricate shading). However if you wanted mona lisa tiles i think it would have to be tiled in floor_a (_b)(sharp details). As for the original hex tile it theorettically should be tiled in floor_a (_b) and should overlay correctly but it doesnt, i think this might be because its not a square like we talked about before thats the only reason i can see explayining why it doesnt work. im going to do an experament with a tile with a 1 x 2 ratio of difference, probly 20x40 and see how it works get back to you then
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

heh was messing with my movipack stuff and decided to mess with dual texturing again, got a large unpixalated tile hexagon pattern(a manipulated version of hexatrons). All nice and lined up still blurry though by nature i guess but no offset, and also a 1 by 2 ratio tile that actually looks better dual textured(finished the day after my last post in the thread but i never bothered to post). Two zips to post
Attachments
1hexatron modded tile.zip
finally dual textured hextile thats not extremly pixalized
(560.04 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
1starunsquaretest.zip
1x2 ratio, dont hold this one against me
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

bookmarked (i'll have to look at them when i'm not a zombie) :D