Three ideas to improve Fortress

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Vitty
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Three ideas to improve Fortress

Post by Vitty »

7575757575 wrote: After playing matches with uneven teams and I have already read that idea before i was thinking of a poll. A poll that mixes all players.
This has now been implemented in trunk. Any server running the latest revision of 0.3 should have "/admin scramble" and "/vote scramble" available to allow players to vote to randomise the teams. However, at the time of writing this, barely any servers are running 0.3 :(

Credits to madmax for the command name.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Vitty wrote:This has now been implemented in trunk. Any server running the latest revision of 0.3 should have "/admin scramble" and "/vote scramble" available to allow players to vote to randomise the teams. However, at the time of writing this, barely any servers are running 0.3 :(
Certainly a good invention. How does it work? Is it done by a simple randomizer or does it have a little algorithm to sort (e.g. by points)?

Plus, there exists a command on sty branch which assigns a team to a player (set_player_team or something like that) and there are more servers using that version than 0.3.
It just needs a script doing this with every player on match end or on a special command. But, same problem:
At the time of writing this, barely any servers are running a script. :P
Vitty
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vitty »

vov wrote:
Vitty wrote:This has now been implemented in trunk. Any server running the latest revision of 0.3 should have "/admin scramble" and "/vote scramble" available to allow players to vote to randomise the teams. However, at the time of writing this, barely any servers are running 0.3 :(
Certainly a good invention. How does it work? Is it done by a simple randomizer or does it have a little algorithm to sort (e.g. by points)?

Plus, there exists a command on sty branch which assigns a team to a player (set_player_team or something like that) and there are more servers using that version than 0.3.
It just needs a script doing this with every player on match end or on a special command. But, same problem:
At the time of writing this, barely any servers are running a script. :P
As of right now it's just a simple randomiser. Improvements may possibly be made in the future though to make the team selection more logical. Possibly even a setting for the server admin to decide between complete randomness or different algorithms.

If people don't require any sty+ct features then i don't really see the point -not- to run a 0.3 server, especially if I end up implementing the crash dumping feature... which will make error reporting more useful and won't rely on people making a recording.

More frequent releases would help in preventing people having to compile from svn/bzr and possibly increase how much 0.3 is used (even though 0.3.x is a dev release). But I'm digressing from the topic of this thread... I'll bring these points up in a new thread in due course :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Vitty wrote:If people don't require any sty+ct features then i don't really see the point -not- to run a 0.3 server....
Because it's explicitly an experimental and potentially unstable release containing possible bugginess?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

...and which needs testing.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Of course, but by everyone? Including those who wouldn't even know or care how or what to test and report? Doesn't seem sensible to me that someone who wants a stable, playable server would want to use 0.3. You want to use it to host all your fortress and sumo tournaments?
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

I like the idea of higher accel , less rubber , and less brake. We could call it fortress 2 :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Or, you know, just Fortress. Fortress is defined by the zone behaviour, not the game physics. I know I've beat this point to death, but there's no real reason (other than for tourneys) that all Fortress (and Sumo) servers should have identical physics.