Skybox like GLtron - selectable choice of movie packs

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Game Zone
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Skybox like GLtron - selectable choice of movie packs

Post by Game Zone »

you can keep adjusting X back and forth until you get them aligned correctly
You can do what you like with these commands, none of them change anything at all, ill try this on a PC, macbook is doing nothing, If anyone says these commands do anything, download any of the textures into TR2N origins and take a screenshot, see if you can align anything at all, because this game displays whatever it chooses to.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

put /console in front of it when you type them in normal chat.
Game Zone
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Game Zone »

Just found something, when I edit the cfg file I opened it in Mac Text edit, make changes and then save, but it seems it doesnt like that, because when I pasted my art into another persons folder it worked, so not sure whats happening there. Text edit must mess up cfg files and should not be used to edit them.

i did some more tests, I copied and pasted the working level into a new slot, and it screwed up both levels, then when I deleated the copied level, it worked again, so there is some sort of bug or naming convention, TR2N Oringings names the levels
Bundled_
and then a letter on the end, example
Bundled_A

It does this until it reaches
Slot_00
Then its numbers, so something is happening, perhaps you should not keep the name Slot_ but rename it Bundled_ and then something on the end. So its something here that is causing bugs.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

OK, we have a problem here. GameZone has jumped into this feet first without understanding (and continuing to fail to understand) a lot of basics. It's a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. We're all here giving him tips on how to compose a piece of music when he doesn't know what a staff or quarter note are.

For example, he evidently doesn't know the difference between the Moviepack and Textures (e.g., you can't get RIM_WALL_WRAP_Y to work because you're only using moviepack; as has been pointed out at least twice, that 'feature' only applies to when the moviepack is disabled). It seems he doesn't even realise that the console exists, nevermind all the commands that can be entered into it. And there's plenty more. And we can't continue trying to help him along with more "advanced" aspects when he doesn't even get the basics.

Besides that, there seems to be some obstinance or thickness with respect to accepting things we've already told him can't be done, for example, lining up the floor grid with the rim wall.

So, GameZone, what I'm telling you is you need stop, take a breath, end the mania, drop the 'deadline' thing, and figure out how the game is put together. I mean, for crying out loud, have you even gone through the menus thoroughly? Many of your questions could be answered by yourself just taking the time to actually look things over. We can't teach you everything from the ground up. There's some self-service required of you, here. (Note, the wiki is incomplete, in many places out-of-date, and in general a terrible mess.)

Also, with respect to your use of Tron Origins—this forum is not part of that project. I don't know what all they've changed and/or added. Many here don't, and many don't care to. If you want support on T2O-specific items, you need to consult them.

I will however answer the bit about TextEdit: You need to make sure you format and save the file as plain text, not rich text. Oddly enough, that's in the menu under "Format."
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Let me just add: Don't take the above as my scolding you, or trying to discourage you from doing this stuff. I'm fairly curious to see the end result (although, I admit I can't imagine what someone will do with 300 textures :o ). I'm just advising that you take a step back and learn the basic 'architecture' of how all the graphics go together. I suspect you'll then reread some of this and think, "oh gosh, that was so simple!"

For another example: If you want only one rim wall graphic repeated, you need to use the basic textures pack—that is, disable the moviepack. Textures repeats one image. Moviepack has four. You can, of course, simply duplicate the same image four times for the moviepack (this is what I do when "transposing" a GLTron artpack into an Arma moviepack).
Game Zone
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Game Zone »

Hi, back again, had a break due to Christmas and coming down with an evil cold, which I still have unfortunately, the project was moved to TR2N Origins a while back due to the fact they can have custom levels, though I ran into problems with textures not displaying correctly, I will have to re install the program, and get a connection to a PC rather than the mac to download the game again, then get a cfg editor, just in case the text editor was screwing things up, but ultimately, I really want skybox support, it would also be nice to have some form of random skybox selector as well, I spoke with a lead coder there and he likes that artists are interested in building on the project, perhaps he will add at a future date the ideas I propose, in the meantime I looked to another open source project to edit to add my skyboxes and game themes into, same theme/genera as what I showed here so I think it will appeal to posters on these boards, but right now I have 6 iPhone apps to upload once Apple re open the control panel after the holiday shut down, after that I have some experiments on the other open source project that I am interested in, once thats done Ill put something forward to show to the lead programmer at TR2N and perhaps he will get interested in expanding its capabilities. So I will keep people updated and we will see what comes forth from this.