PRU clan video - Vol. 2

Got something that makes Armagetron look shiny? Post it here.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: PRU clan video - Vol. 2

Post by Jonathan »

The sudden inspiration. :oops:
smileypack.png
smileypack.zip
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

great work, that's what I was waiting for my whole tron career :o :!: :done: :D :) :P :twisted: :star: :moustache: :goatee: :stubble:

reminds me of the cycles Edd made
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 3&start=30
Word

Post by Word »

I hope this isn't too anti-american.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbIY5rDHmI
(we really want more Americans but i was unable to make an appropriate advertisement :P)
Word wrote:hey i just wanted to say that we have splitted our clan so that wars are more fun for people who can't deal with lag.
Soo...we are still looking for new members, more American ones if possible.
our site is still http://trongame.de/

Eggman and tRonPaul lead the American Team.
Last edited by Word on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

how can you call that anti american? nice :mrgreen:
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I have no idea what that was supposed to be, other than a mess. Much of it was either obtuse, rather ignorant, or deliberately sarcastic and insulting. Which was it?

- Subservience: US Constitution. Are you mocking the Constitution, the populace, or....?
- Pride: General Washington. "Seven Deadly Sins" pride?
- Harmony: American Gothic. Connection to said painting and the message you're attempting to convey?
- Prudence: G.W. Bush. That has to be sarcastic. (And likely you wouldn't even get why "prudent" would be a better joke attached to George H.W. Bush.)
- Eloquence: Obama. A compliment or implication that's all there is to him? Is it more broadly implying a lack of eloquence on the part of Americans?
- Sobriety: Joseph McCarthy. This, too, must be sarcastic.
- Self-Control: Richard Nixon. More sarcasm. Getting old and well-tread already.
- Erudition: Mob of The Simpsons characters. Presumably, more sarcasm and mockery.
- Pioneering Spirit: Steamboat Willie. Do you actually consider Disney's first cartoon a representational pinnacle of pioneering spirit, or are you belittling? Either way, stupidity on your part.
- Alpha Males: Signage stating "Black Power." Ignorance of the concept of Black Power and, if mocking it, borderline racist.
- Tolerance: Lincoln. Sincere or stupid?
- Sustainability: JFK. What? Sick joke or what?
- Good Taste: McDonald's. More mocking sarcasm. If not, outright idiocy and poor taste on your part.
- Modesty: Marlboro/Phillip Morris. Presumably more, though I miss the connection.
- Versatility: Coca-Cola. Huh?
[Side Note plug: http://www.thecokemachine.com/]
- Road Safety: Easy Rider? Road Safety is a virtue? This one just makes no sense.
- Equality: Picture of the KKK. You're a dick.
- Freedom: Moon Landing. Huh?
- Purposefulness: Bill Gates. Again, huh?

As an unabashed leftist who on an ongoing basis criticises many various aspects of U.S. government and its policies, of markets and of cultures, and has consequently been accused by irrationalists as "anti-American," I'm saying that was a load of simplistic, small-minded, irrational drivel. And you're sure as hell not going to win over any Americans with it.

I would like you to address, explain, and justify each one of those.

Strange, too, that it would come from someone who has made an overt, one might even say at times ostentatious, display of Americanophilia on this forum.
Last edited by Phytotron on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

No offense, slov, but you can't judge unless you are actually American. I didn't like photo choices, agree with Phytotron for once.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Do American tronners make videos about Germans and their Ex-Dictator Hitler?

No.

That gives me an idea...
Word

Post by Word »

I'm surprised about that post...before i posted the link i asked some Americans whether they liked it.
INW wrote:Do American tronners make videos about Germans and their Ex-Dictator Hitler?
No, but who'd keep them from doing so? you wouldn't break a taboo.

I would like you to address, explain, and justify each one of those.
Strange, too, that it would come from someone who has made an overt, one might even say at times ostentatious, display of Americanophilia on this forum.
Sorry, no. Don't take it as Americanophobia. Not all of it is meant sarcastic. I just didn't like to make a pure propaganda video :roll:
What you probably didn't see is that i also tried to mock Germans/Europeans since we, according to the video, are not capable of these "virtues" anymore - i bracketed together some historical figures, events and companies because i wanted to hint at the missing parallels between our clan and America. It seemed amusing to me since most of these words i used are vacuous while you are playing armagetron - you can't really guess a player's personal values after having analyzed his playing style, can you?
There are lots of chapters in European (and especially German) history which I'm not proud of (otherwise i wouldn't have given a hint at the Prussian virtues in the video description. these virtues were also part of Germany's role in world war II). I thought the video is self-explanatory: all of us (tronners/clans) have the same abilities and flaws, regardless if you're American or not. There are bad US players, good EU players and vice versa, but you can make yourself less replaceable by getting better at the game.
So, what what was the main purpose of this video? I wanted to make clear that we don't choose our players because of their patriotism or the ideology they think they embody (likewise, the same applies for us Europeans). In so far, I didn't expect to have hit a raw nerve.
Do you actually consider Disney's first cartoon a representational pinnacle of pioneering spirit[...]?
I didn't say that there weren't better examples for (American) pioneering spirit (e.g. Apollo 11).
JFK. What? Sick joke or what?
No.
Eloquence: Obama. [...] Is it more broadly implying a lack of eloquence on the part of Americans?
Again, no.
Tolerance: Lincoln. Sincere or stupid?
sincere :roll:
Last edited by Word on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

The reason the rest of the world likes to poke fun at you is because you have no concept at laughing at yourselves a little. Its no fun to tease someone who generally goes along with the jokes, and even mocks themselves a little. Its more fun to get a reaction
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

no matter what he'd put in that video, you'd bitch him out :P and since I know this will become a lame flamewar, i'm out. :mrgreen:
gl hf
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Americanophobia
Phytotron wrote:Americanophilia
I think you still don't get it, which partly leads me to believe you don't even get who some of those individuals were, or what some of those images represent. It's only made worse with the coupling to your "virtues."

Syllabear: irrelevant, unhelpful post. Fallacious, as well. You too, Slov.

And I'll criticise anyone for being stupid, any kind of stupidity, whether it's directed at me or someone or something else. I'll also criticise any sort of xenophobia, jingoism, blind nationalism, or any sort of mindless, baseless, stereotyping nation/culture-bashing—whether it's related to the US or not.

If INW followed up on his "that gives me an idea" comment with some dumb, redneck shit directed at Germany and Germans, I would have chewed him out, too.

So get off your high horse, but take care—you might want to move it out of the bullshit it's standing in first.

EDIT: it to in
Last edited by Phytotron on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word

Post by Word »

oops, i left out Tim Curry
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

...who is English.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

My dads favorite movie (Rockie Picture Horror Show)... He is watching it now as we speak. Damn, he has watched it at least 10 times this month.
Word

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:...who is English.
LOL!