The definition of racism;

Anything About Anything...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: The definition of racism;

Post by sinewav »

Hoax wrote:Didn't you used to go around pretending to be black when you were in tr
Hmm, there is a racist joke in there somewhere, but I'm not bright enough to think of it, let alone deliver it.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Spook, lolol.

Yes appa pretended to be black in TR, not sure why though. :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

apparition wrote:...you'll realize it is a discussion for naive white people.
The fact that there are so many naive white people to whom much of what I described on the first page is still new information (and probably don't recognize some of the terms I used, or even that I used any), and that some of the silliness expressed on the second page is still held and expressed, are the very reasons why this thread does and should exist. You would rather whites stick to myopic, ignorant, self-segregation and continued clueless chastisement? "I don't get what those black people are saying. And what do they have to complain about, anyway? It's so stupid. Why can't they just get over it? Can't we just be post-racial now so I don't have to deal with or listen to them anymore?"
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

There's no reason for attack apparition time lol I just read through the topic and didn't see the point. In my opinion, this topic created by Liz went downhill very quickly because it had no point. If you don't want to feel attacked and want to look at the subject of racism as what it is, reread the topic and tell me if I'm wrong. It's like elementary ridiculousness going from defining stereotypes to what is an African blah blah blah

I used to frequently use å blåck kid as my grid name. Here's the reason why - it just sucks that this is in the middle of a topic on racism. This is gong to get a little too personal for some, I'm sure, but it needs to be said when once-cool people like sine.wav start making subtle hints that I'm racist (unless I'm missing a joke or something). It doesn't translate to tron very well, but I grew up with my brother in a house with no heat, phone, car, tv, etc. and my neighbors took care of us - oddly enough a black family with the last name of Black. Anyway, I've referred to myself as black on many occasions in real life as well :)

I just read Phytotron's post - naw, dude, I'm not saying hey let's not talk about racism because I don't understand it and it's stupid because it's not real and it doesn't affect anyone these days... I truly do believe in being honest and open about issues like this so we can not be afraid to discuss them, but Liz makes topics about people being racist quite a bit so reading this didn't strike me as a good topic. I realize I came off as arrogant by saying Liz's topic was ridiculous because so many people wanted to discuss it, but I guess you run that risk when you point crap out to people.
Last edited by apparition on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

apparition wrote:...but it needs to be said when once-cool people like sine.wav start making subtle hints that I'm racist.
Oh dude I'm so sorry. I seriously didn't mean to imply you were a racist at all. I've never seen or heard you do anything of the sort. I was just making a connection between the names "apparition" and "å blåck kid" in a failed attempt at humor (well, Liz laughed).

:!: Public Apology: I, whom you know as sine.wav, have never once seen or heard apparition make a racist comment or do anything remotely considered racist, even by a very exaggerated definition. I do not believe he is a racist. He has given me no reason to believe he is a racist, and I have no intention of portraying him as one. Anything I say that is interpreted to the contrary is a miscommunication.

Also, I love these: :done: :arrow: :idea: :!: :?:
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

:done: I guess during this awesome discussion a lot of ridiculous stuff is bound to come up. I can forgive you for making that conjecture... I guess it was Hoax who thought this stuff up. Things get out of hand. Whatever :P

PS - I found a video of Hoåx: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=324495892924
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

No, I vividly remember you saying you're black in TR and even getting offended when people say you're not. :/

You have issues, bro!

(Maybe I also made this topic to scare off the people who have been making racist remarks to me lately, it seems to have worked... ;))
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

I do not understand why people do things like that... Telling people they are a different race, gender, etc. than they are irl, I just don't get it.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Post by noob_saibot »

Wait so basically appa is a racist, animal-crueltist, bi-lingual who supports child labor in the factories of cases to put geicos in??
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Racism is a fear of what you don't understand, an inability to embrace other cultures, an insecurity.

We could go jump just a little back in history to the 1940s where people from all over the world, mainly the Caribbean, found themselves in the UK. Even though things had "changed" and the view of black people as slaves was put behind, there was still significant racism.
(Just to say, I only bring up black history, because it's what I know best. There are books kicking around the house about it, and it's the history my mother experienced, being born in 1954.. So please don't think I'm trying to make this a "black people have it harder" kind of thing, I would just prefer to state what I know.)
I know from speaking to my grandparents that when they came to England they expected something totally different. There was little to no anxiety about being around "white" people, but that changed after their experiences; Living in 2 rooms with another family for example.. That's not really how you expect to be treated in a country such as England. Even now, though things have changed, the actions of racism in the past and the consequences it has had on society are still evident;

I wont make this too personal, but my cousin and I have been having this discussion a lot lately, which is why I'm appreciative of this topic, because I experience almost the same (from what I know) as liz.. She (the cousin) finds it weird that I could love a white guy and that it seems wrong. She even said that her worst fear would be that her daughter would "come home with a white man". Now, my cousin isn't a racist person, her best friend is Indian, so I can't understand how this type of underlaying racism came about, other than it being embedded into our upbringing and culture, she doesn't even see it as a racist mentality to have..
It must be something people experience growing up in a family from any culture (since interracial couples still seem to be a bit of a rarity). So, since this is supposed to be an informative topic, I'd like to ask a question; How would your families react to the same kind of situation? Is it something most people are subjected to as they grow up or is it isolated to my family, black people, whatever (and I don't mean all, I could never be so general with every black/white/asian person/family).. I'd just like to know because it personally upsets me.

People are people to me, I hate labels and definitions, they're a waste of time. A person is a human first, not a race/sexual orientation etc. (Please take the question seriously :/)
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Liz wrote:You have issues, bro!
Keep pressing the issue, bro. You obviously know it gets under my skin that someone would be throwing the idea that I'm racist around. Because it truly does. Posting shit that gets under people's skins is something you do quite well and what I'd like to point out to you is that you do it indiscriminately. Instead of being a racist, who treat certain groups of people like shit, you don't seem to give a shit about anyone... You want to stop being bothered with racist remarks because it gets under your skin, but you have no problem being an asshole to other people. That attitude, morphed into anger at a specific group of people is the definition of racism. That's why I didn't take this topic seriously in the first place, but I've started to now. Good luck learning about racism when you can't even understand how to consistently treat others with respect without causing most of an online community to think you're a bad person.
dubStep wrote:How would your families react to the same kind of situation? Is it something most people are subjected to as they grow up or is it isolated to my family, black people, whatever (and I don't mean all, I could never be so general with every black/white/asian person/family).. I'd just like to know because it personally upsets me.)
Interracial dating still causes anxiety in every community I've lived in. I have seen some cool transformations though. My step dad was once the most hardheaded ignorant man alive, never a racist but never an advocate of tolerance either. But over the past 10 years he's experienced a lot of different situations that has truly changed his attitudes. This, I think is the key to ending intolerant attitudes (racist, homophobic, etc.): natural positive personal experience with different cultures. That's why it sucks that so many people in America don't travel much.

On a related topic of your post dubstep, a couple years ago I did some independent study on Africa and its diasporas (which includes Caribbean diaspora), and found the family stories to be absolutely amazing. I flew down to Miami to do some team genealogy research in one of my last semesters of college. Thanks for sharing a bit your family history :D
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

sinewav wrote:
Hoax wrote:Didn't you used to go around pretending to be black when you were in tr
Hmm, there is a racist joke in there somewhere, but I'm not bright enough to think of it, let alone deliver it.
Hah ^^ Now I'm wondering why spook has that nick :lol:
apparition wrote:I guess it was Hoax who thought this stuff up. Things get out of hand. Whatever :P

PS - I found a video of Hoåx: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=324495892924
So according to your post prior I wasn't conjuring anything up..
& cba to watch that video whatever it is

Well anyway liz I'm sure there's a few people wondering why you say some of the things you do; you're just not special enough to have your own topic 8)
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

with 20 years, talking about racism in a game OMG..
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

This is not a discussion about racism in game, you would know that if you actually read it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

Liz wrote: You have issues, bro!
Lol'd for a bit