Killing and restart of armagetron advanced dedicated server

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
superkikim
On Lightcycle Grid

Killing and restart of armagetron advanced dedicated server

Post by superkikim »

hi,

I have a script running multiple servers using screen (as I explain in the wiki).

The problem I have is that if I restart an arma server, when I kill it it does not free the port, and when it start again, it considers the port taken, and use the next one free, even by using the SERVER_PORT variable.

How can I fix that ? is there aynway I can kill the server, and close the port in the same process, before to restart the server ? or is there a bash command to ensure the port is closed so when the game restart it can use the port it should ?

Cheers
superkikim
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Killing and restart of armagetron advanced dedicated server

Post by superkikim »

Ok, I have found part of the problem... When I kill the screen session, it does not kill the contained processes .... Therefore, it means everytime I restart a server, in fact, it did not die, and I have multiple identical servers running :-( That explains things.

So now the question is: How do I kill a specific process ?

Let's say, I have a process /bin/sh /etc/arma/scripts/srv deathwalls

I know it's name. From this, what command can I use to be sure it is killed before to restart the server ?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

you can do it that way or you can hack arma so it does not "reload settings" when screen get killed and sends it a SIGHUP.

Code: Select all

=== modified file 'src/tools/tConfiguration.cpp'
--- src/tools/tConfiguration.cpp        2008-03-20 17:35:47 +0000
+++ src/tools/tConfiguration.cpp        2008-08-19 22:10:59 +0000
@@ -952,9 +952,10 @@

static void st_DoHandleSigHup()
 {
-    con << tOutput("$config_sighup");
-    st_SaveConfig();
-    st_LoadConfig();
+   exit(0);
 }

static void st_HandleSigHup( int signal ) 
something like that (that is a very old diff i took).
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I also use a variant of your script to start my servers. You should never kill a screen. You should type exit into the server console, and then press crtl-c as directed by the script. For me, that does kill the processes.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
superkikim
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by superkikim »

The idea is to restart the screen automatically if for any reason the server dies... That is why I've made the srv script below which is constantly running:

#!/bin/bash

arma="/etc/arma"

screen -S $1 -X logtstamp on                                   # print timestamps in log file
 logdir=$arma/servers/$1/logs
 test -d "$logdir" || mkdir -p "$logdir"
timestamp=`date +%d%m%Y-%H%M`
screen -S $1 -X logfile $arma/servers/$1/logs/$1_$timestamp.log         # create a logfile in the logs subfolder
 screen -S $1 -X log on        # Turn on logging for the server window
 while true; do                   # start a loop to allow server restart if it crashes

# runs the actual server
        $arma/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --configdir $arma/servers/$1/settings --vardir $arma/servers/$1/var

# Clear the display, and indicates that the server has crashed, and then, wait 5 seconds before to restart the server, allowing you to quit with CTRL-C
        clear
        echo "Server has crashed. It will restart immediately..., press CTRL-C to cancel"
        sleep 5

done # end the loop
If I look in ps aux, I have three processes involved with each server I'm running:

root     32333  0.0  0.1   2988  1044 ?        Ss   Jul20   0:00 SCREEN -dmS mw /etc/arma/scripts/srv mw
root     32334  0.0  0.1   2560  1060 pts/2    Ss+  Jul20   0:00 /bin/sh /etc/arma/scripts/srv mw
root     32339  0.0  0.4   7640  5104 pts/2    S+   Jul20   1:11 /etc/arma/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --configdir /etc/arma/servers/mw/settings --vardir /etc/arma/servers/mw/var
If I kill SCREEN -dmS mw or /bin/sh srv... , armagetronad-dedicated is still running

Therefore I need to find a mean to kill all three processes when I'm killing the parent process which is screen.

32333 32333 32333 ?           -1 Ss       0   0:00 SCREEN -dmS mw /etc/arma/scripts/srv mw
32333 32334 32334 32334 pts/2    32334 Ss+      0   0:00  \_ /bin/sh /etc/arma/scripts/srv mw
32334 32339 32334 32334 pts/2    32334 S+       0   1:11      \_ /etc/arma/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --configdir /etc/arma/servers/mw/settings --vardir /etc/arma/servers/mw/var
EDIT: I have found now a script that kills a process and its child processes. Works perfecly.

My only problem now is to retrieve the parent process ID (i.. SCREEN -dmS mw) without getting fancies PID like the grep one, I don't care :-) ...

#########################################

#!/bin/sh
# This script will kill all the child process id fo                                      r a  given pid
#Store the current Process ID, we don't want to kil                                      l the current executing process id
CURPID=$$

# This is process id, parameter passed by user
ppid=$1

if [ -z $ppid ] ; then
   echo No PID given.
   exit;
fi

arraycounter=1
while true
do
        FORLOOP=FALSE
        # Get all the child process id
        for i in `ps -ef| awk '$3 == '$ppid' { prin                                      t $2 }'`
        do
                if [ $i -ne $CURPID ] ; then
                        procid[$arraycounter]=$i
                        arraycounter=`expr $arrayco                                      unter + 1`
                        ppid=$i
                        FORLOOP=TRUE
                fi
        done
        if [ "$FORLOOP" = "FALSE" ] ; then
           arraycounter=`expr $arraycounter - 1`
           ## We want to kill child process id firs                                      t and then parent id's
           while [ $arraycounter -ne 0 ]
           do
             kill -9 "${procid[$arraycounter]}" >/d                                      ev/null
             arraycounter=`expr $arraycounter - 1`
           done
         exit
        fi
done

#####################################
I could try to save the process at start with $$ but I wonder it if will save the screen PID or the armagetronad PID or the srv PID as all three start together... I'll try... and let you know.
superkikim
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by superkikim »

Ok, I sorted it out.

Instead of using

screen -S $f -X quit
to kill my server game before to restart in case it is still running, I send "quit" to the armagetronad server, then I send CTRL-C to kill my loop:

This is my "start" script.

./start
start all my servers

./start servername
start only the chosen server

#!/bin/bash

arma="/etc/arma"

# If you run the script with a parameter (server name), only that server will be start. Otherwise, all servers in the /etc/arma/servers directory will be started

if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
        screen -S $1 -X stuff $'quit\n'
        screen -S $1 -X stuff $'\cC\n'
        screen -dmS $1 $arma/scripts/srv $1                     # start a GNU screen window with the specified server inside
else
        for f in $(ls $arma/servers/.)                          # start a loop running the following command for any existing folders in the /etc/arma/servers folder
                do
                        screen -S $f -X stuff $'quit\n'
                        sleep 1
                        screen -S $f -X stuff $'\cC\n'
                        sleep 1
                        screen -dmS $f $arma/scripts/srv $f     # start a GNU screen window with the server inside for each server folder
                done                                                    # ends the loop

Then, my srv script which actually launch the armagetronad process:

#!/bin/bash

arma="/etc/arma"

screen -S $1 -X logtstamp on                                   # print timestamps in log file
 logdir=$arma/servers/$1/logs
 test -d "$logdir" || mkdir -p "$logdir"
timestamp=`date +%d%m%Y-%H%M`
screen -S $1 -X logfile $arma/servers/$1/logs/$1_$timestamp.log         # create a logfile in the logs subfolder
 screen -S $1 -X log on                                                 # Turn on logging for the server window
 while true; do                                                         # start a loop to allow server restart if it crashes

# runs the actual server
        $arma/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --configdir $arma/servers/$1/settings --vardir $arma/servers/$1/var

# Clear the display, and indicates that the server has crashed, and then, wait 5 seconds before to restart the server, allowing you to quit with CTRL-C
        clear
        echo "Server has crashed. It will restart immediately..., press CTRL-C to cancel"
        sleep 5

done # end the loop
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thank you for sharing the updated scripts. I will update the scripts I use, and add the script that you made that automatically restarts servers!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm