Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Furure ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by Titanoboa »

kyle wrote:I think we would get a larger turnout of teams if it were every other month
Probably so. But this would add an extra round, thus atleast one hour to the tournament time in total. The ladle would need a seeding system*, so that the teams that are likely to reach semi-finals and even a final don't have to play in the opening round.

Making the ladle a 2-day event isn't a good idea (and it has been discussed before afaik).

Also, 45 minutes per round isn't enough (anymore?). Due to change of tactics, every single round takes more time. The finals ended at what, 23:30 GMT?
One way to make it work is to mess with the gameplay, by adding a time limit, a deathzone, or making it 'best of 1' match instead of 3. A better way to deal with it would be to extend the time from 45 to 60 minutes.

Edit: *the seeding system would be simple: The teams that reach the finals (or just semi-finals) in one ladle doesn't have to play until the 8th finals in the next.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

@Olive: yes summer time will start for next ladle,

@ mecca: As for setting up servers it is for the most part just doing that, but doing that to 3 servers does add up in time. Also i've compiled the binaries the last 2 ladles to change to 0.2.8.3 and 0.2.8.3.1. Also making sure the ports don't change and updating the wiki. Another thing that I do after the ladle is retrieve the logs and store them after a ladle in case of any discrepancies.
As for the resetting, i don't know everything that goes on there, but for the randomizing teams most things are described on the wiki

@Concord: It sounds good but won't that just confuse people? having it first Sunday of a month dividable by 3, third Sunday on a month dividable by 3 with a remainder of 1 and no ladle on months divided by 3 and a remainder of 2.you really don't get a pause to do that though.

@spot, teams are able to sub players
Concord

Post by Concord »

@kyle or just think of it 7 weeks from the last one.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Most would prefer either monthly or bi-monthly, even if 6/7 weeks seems like a good compromise mathematically.
Concord

Post by Concord »

How can you possibly claim to represent over 50 people's opinions, Titan?
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

@Kyle; sorry you misinterpreted my question. I wanted to know if the starting time will be 1hour earlier to compensate the summer time or 30 minutes to even up the difference a bit.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

@Olive it would be 17:45 GMT or if more than 16 teams it would be at 17 GMT

but what do we do if that 7th week falls on a big holiday or something? does the timing of that one effect the timing of the next?

I guess we still have those normally every 3 ladle discussions like this one.

your way (if we started right away)
25th april
13th june
1st august

or my way (every other month)
4th or 11 april
4th july (could cause problems but US players my have nice celebration :P)
5th september

(other compromise I mentioned) divide by 3 and go by remainders
18th April
6th June
18th July
5th September

I actually kind of like the latter way, for one it would avoid christmas/newyears It spaces them out probably enough and gives 4 months where something new could come into the picture.

Edit: fixed start times
Last edited by kyle on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spot
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Spot »

@kyle ye :/ but the problem is if some1 needs to restart router or smthing... he has to leave.. and then the team has a problem 5v6 situation, cause until he joins maybe 2-3 more rounds are played...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Spot wrote:@kyle ye :/ but the problem is if some1 needs to restart router or smthing... he has to leave.. and then the team has a problem 5v6 situation, cause until he joins maybe 2-3 more rounds are played...
A good team can be down a player for a few rounds and not suffer too bad. And if you have any issues with your computer, router, or connection, that's YOUR problem. Dozens of people can't be expected to wait for you to get it together.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
Spot wrote:@kyle ye :/ but the problem is if some1 needs to restart router or smthing... he has to leave.. and then the team has a problem 5v6 situation, cause until he joins maybe 2-3 more rounds are played...
A good team can be down a player for a few rounds and not suffer too bad. And if you have any issues with your computer, router, or connection, that's YOUR problem. Dozens of people can't be expected to wait for you to get it together.
As has been stated, subs have always been allowed. One reason to have subs on hand is the situation that you have described.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Spot
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Spot »

guys get it.. if i say ITS after the first match.. than it could be possible to wait 1 min ! ok?! i mean we are not supposed to play 2(3) matches in a row.. in no game we have to.. this game needs more international niveu...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Spot wrote:guys get it..
No dude, you get it. There are no time-outs in Arma. This isn't American Football or Basketball. The Ladle runs on an extremely tight schedule and we can't accommodate players with "problems." That's what substitutes are for. And yes we are supposed to play 2(3) matches in a row. That's how this works.

But just so you know your voice has been heard, we can add "Should teams be allowed a time-out? [yes|no]" to the vote, and you'll see how it will be rejected unanimously.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Based on the number of players that currently actually play fortress on a consistent basis, I can't see there being more than 18 teams for any given Ladle, no matter how far apart each one is "to increase anticipation."

Every month FTW.

Plus, it's more impressive to win 2 (or 3) Ladles in a row under the current once-a-month system since you have to be on top of your game for pretty much every week in between Ladles. On the other hand, if it was only once every other month, the winners could take a break for a month and still have a few weeks to prepare again.
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

sinewav wrote:
Spot wrote:guys get it..
No dude, you get it. There are no time-outs in Arma. This isn't American Football or Basketball. The Ladle runs on an extremely tight schedule and we can't accommodate players with "problems." That's what substitutes are for. And yes we are supposed to play 2(3) matches in a row. That's how this works.

But just so you know your voice has been heard, we can add "Should teams be allowed a time-out? [yes|no]" to the vote, and you'll see how it will be rejected unanimously.
+1

I think if you just beat a team and your next opponent is waiting, it isn't out of the question to ask for a 5 min break. But then again, usually that is time to organize.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by Hoax »

That's why we're allowed to sub