whats with the super ridiculous rubber

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
subby
Shutout Match Winner

whats with the super ridiculous rubber

Post by subby »

Is it just me or are rubber settings getting way high. What's the use of trapping if ppl just keep going back and foward until they make it past a great grind.

Just my rant for the day!

:)
Last edited by subby on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: whats with the super rediculous rubber

Post by compguygene »

That is why my TheServerPharm: High Speed Chase server in TR2NOrigins has customized rubber settings that prevent that.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

subby wrote:Just my rant for the day!
Where do you post the rants for other days? Can we expect more here? :P

Yes, the rubber is out of control. Please support the low/no rubber cause buy playing in low/no servers and creating interesting Lo-No games.

Also, I'm the self-proclaimed champion of the Lo-No rubber movement. You'd think I was allergic to latex.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Help crowding servers like Crosseyed & Painless or Electric Fishing :wink:
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

sinewav wrote:
subby wrote:Just my rant for the day!
Where do you post the rants for other days? Can we expect more here? :P
I have a rant every day at least once but mostly to my wife and my 9 month old son, if they care to listen ;) 'll try to spread the love - or rant- more often
Yes, the rubber is out of control. Please support the low/no rubber cause buy playing in low/no servers and creating interesting Lo-No games.
I bet there are more low rubber sites when I'm not playing - ie when america sleeps >_< though i don't like no rubber especially with my ping disadvantage
Also, I'm the self-proclaimed champion of the Lo-No rubber movement. You'd think I was allergic to latex.
if we used rubber all the time we would never get kids :mrgreen:
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Re: whats with the super ridiculous rubber

Post by TiTnAsS »

Either of Louvens servers, Bebops in Harlem and the Swampland clone, are both great rubber. So is Words Crosseyed and Painless. Another one I prefer is The Yellow Submarine.

But for the most part, the rubber does seem to be all 8+, I miss the old servers.
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

TiTnAsS wrote:Either of Louvens servers, Bebop in Harlem and the Swampland clone
There is no Swampland clone. There's Shrunkland (not a clone of itself), and there's that "Swampland Mud Puddle" (not run by me, not a Swampland clone, and not low rubber). For clarification.

Two "Adventures of Tron" servers are low rubber, TRON Experience (incam) and Original Arcade, are run by sinewav (although I largely designed the latter).

There are a few others spread about*, if you do some digging. There also may be an attempt by me at bringing back goshdarn in 0.2.8.x, but trying to get the 0.2.6 feel. On the backburner at the moment.

* A couple of those have down-the-line default settings, and by the title and URL seem to actually be spam. There was one that was a "chan"-type site, for instance.

But, you know what you say here is heresy. According to certain elements in this "community," I'm the only one who hates high rubber, wants a resurgence of regular, low-rubber servers, and am totally left behind and outcast in the unpopular wilderness about that.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lo-No Brothers Unite!
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Phytotron wrote: But, you know what you say here is heresy. According to certain elements in this "community," I'm the only one who hates high rubber, wants a resurgence of regular, low-rubber servers, and am totally left behind and outcast in the unpopular wilderness about that.
I reckon rubber >4 is a cop out. Anybody who likes 10+ just doesn't know how to play the game properly or fully (flame away - whoooooosh boom) Anyway that's how I feel.

A 'goshdarn clone whould be great though I would have it with the new respawning thingo.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Nexus 9, if it is still around, has no rubber and fast speeds and is pretty fun to boot, the problem is that most of these servers are usually empty so its hard to get a good game going.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't really support no rubber. I mean, it does still serve something of a purpose with respect to network latency, even if I don't like some of the gameplay side-effects.

The problem with "Nexus9 Deathmatch (NO RUBBER!)" in particular is that, ironically, the type of gameplay and tactics that have resulted are very much like the high rubber servers. Play off, make a big box, run to the rim and hug it. But of course, that's not just the rubber; it's the combination of settings, especially infinite tail length.

EDIT: Fixed title of server, at least as of the time of this post.
Last edited by Phytotron on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

There is i think a network lag setting. Correct me if i'm wrong (z-man) but it's set to be relative to ping and the main rubber setting. Which means if the main rubber setting is 0 then the is no "ping rubber" aswell
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

There's an actual CYCLE_PING_RUBBER setting, if that's what you mean. There are a bunch of other network and lag-related settings, too, but I leave them alone. They're in the "expert only" section of the config, heh.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

RUBBER = CYCLE_RUBBER (or whatever it's called) + CYCLE_PING_RUBBER * ping

or is it

RUBBER = CYCLE_RUBBER (or whatever it's called) * CYCLE_PING_RUBBER * ping

if it's the first then you can have rubber even when CYCLE_RUBBER set to 0 if the latter you can't

I'd have to look at the source to see which one it was - I'm just being way too lazy to find it :roll:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Van-hayes wrote:Nexus 9, if it is still around, has no rubber and fast speeds and is pretty fun to boot...
I loved Nexus9 "back in the day." The problem is, I don't like the settings anymore. There were a lot of little changes and now it just doesn't feel the same. I think a lot of people agree.

I wish brake was still a boost.