0.2.8.3_rc4 available! Post bugs here.

Help test release candidates for the next release
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: 0.2.8.3_rc4 available! Post bugs here.

Post by Jonathan »

I ran it some more. It seems to freeze more the longer a game has been going. Now if only I could get a game to start with all the bots right away, so I can fit it in a concise recording.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Concise recording? Pshaw! Just off yourself a few times real quick. Oh, and raise the score limit so you don't have to sit around during the "match winner" screen (something I neglected to do below).

Yes, the freezes are accentuated when bots explode. It's also happened to me in online servers when players explode, though more subtle. The latter events go back to 0.2.8.0. Yet again I refer here, which may or may not be related to this particular local game problem: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =49&t=4561

I also second what all Gene describes.

Back to the AI, it doesn't even take a great number of bots for it to happen to me. If it's the AI, why doesn't it occur when playing online against AI?

At any rate, I made a couple recordings. I did ramp up the number of bots just to really hammer the effect. The first recording has some unnecessary stuff at the end where I switch from textures to moviepack (don't know what inspired me to do that), and I would've done it over omitting that, but an additional thing happened. When I quit, the game got hung up. It closed, as far as the screen was concerned, but it remained active in the dock and wouldn't completely quit—"not responding"—so I had to force-quit. This has happened several times, I believe beginning with 0.2.8.2.1 (or, to put it another, beginning with this computer). Don't know whether the recording picked it up, but in case it did, I left it on there.

Second recording I made "low res"—800x600, all textures off—to demonstrate that even with a good FPS these things will happen. I did a bit more changing around the number of bots in that one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

And there's more!

1) I wonder if you'll also be able to hear some sound artifacts in those recordings. Nope, not the slurring thing, rather the thing about hearing what I think is the expl sound played really fast at the beginning of the round, after the grid is created. With multiple bots I'll actually hear it echoing around the arena—I'm guessing all the rest of the bots are experiencing the same thing. This has only happened with the RC's; it does not occur with 0.2.8.2.1.

2) I made this complaint a little while ago:http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 39#p211539
But it, or similar, has since happened with other servers. If I sit and let it play out, I'll eventually get knocked out of the server with a message ... crap, I thought I took a screenshot last time, but it's not there. Grrr. Might not be able to do it with AA's screenshots? Anyway, in the above instance the server disappeared off the master list, only to return sometime later. But other times I've gone back and seen that other players were still in the server; nothing had happened to them. Yay, something to replace my old "you've been kicked for cheating" bug.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Couple of screenshots. The first, which says "Connection lost," is of the message referred to in #2 above. It's not on my end, far as I can tell. It has happened with other servers, but happens repeatedly with Gene's Shrunkland clone. I usually can't play more than 5 minutes, sometimes less, before this happens. (Then the deal about the bookmark no longer working, the 'B' being absent from the name in the server list.) What's the point of having it up if it keeps crashing (or whatever)? I'm not alone in experiencing this.

And, like I said, happens in other servers too. Sometimes seems to be the entire server and everyone's booted, other times it seems to be just an individual player. I think I've witnessed it happen to others as well. Causes a big delay between rounds, lag-bombish-like, then they get kicked out, come back a few moments later. "WTF?"

Second pic is of a different incident; some console message I got while playing. Just prior to this happening: A round had ended, then I got all froze up, but apparently no one else did. When it ended, my cycle had apparently gone straight ahead and crashed ([so-and-so] core dumped [me]"). And this message came up.

Whatever the case, some wack stuff has been going on with these versions (maybe back to 0.2.8.2.1). Good thing we got all kinds of special features and game modes now, though!

[For anyone interested, and to give due credit, the rim_wall seen in the background of the one screenshot was cropped and resized from a free desktop picture called "Ornamental 2" created by a fellow named Vlad Gerasimov. His work can be found at the following site: http://www.vladstudio.com/home/]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

And there's even more! First, short backstory: I was in sinewav's incam server and decided to login through the authentication deal, via the menu. So, I called it up, entered "Phytotron@forums" and my password, but received the following message:
NotFound.png
I've since realised that occurred because I didn't have my Global ID set under 'Player 1 Settings.' My question: Is that the way it's supposed to work—you have to be sure you have your ID entered in both spots?

Now, regardless of the answer to that, but because of that behaviour, I ran into this. Remember my complaint about the screwiness with Gene's Shrunkland clone, and how the IP was changing (as viewed in bookmarks)? See here. This is still happening, by the way. Well, after I got the above message, but before I figured out why, I went into Shrunkland to try to login there. Instead of the "not found" message, however, I received the following message:
IPmismatch.png
Again, this was without my Global ID entered under 'Player 1 Settings.' Once I entered that, I could log in successfully. But what's also noteworty is the same 54/53 deal in the IP that I reported in that link. Relevance? You tell me.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Phytotron wrote:Is that the way it's supposed to work—you have to be sure you have your ID entered in both spots?
No, you just didn't get the syntax of the /login command:

Code: Select all

/login [user@]authority
If authority is empty, the server assumes you're trying to do a local login and prompt you your password in a dialog titled "Login with a local account".

What you should have done would have been

/login forums
Oh, and don't put @authority in the username field.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Alright, first of all, you misread. I didn't use the "say: /login ___" command. Once more, I tried using the "Authentication" under the In-Game Menu.

I did go back and now see the two different titles, which I didn't notice before. My oversight there. However, there's still that oddity when selecting "Authentication" from the In-Game Menu:

- If I do not have an Global ID entered under 'Player 1 Settings,' then it'll prompt me for the local login.
- If I do have my Global ID ("Phytotron@forums") entered under 'Player 1 Settings,' then it will prompt me for authority login, and is the only way I can get that prompt. That doesn't make much sense to me, nor is it necessarily intuitive.

What's local login, anyway? LAN? What purpose would that serve?

I think the bit about the Shrunkland IPs may still be of some consequence.
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Seriously, one should be able to delete one's post if it was the last in line. That would really cut down on the accidental double-posts and the whole "oops, nevermind this, double post" thing. I know it's possible as another forum I use has this.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

I think local login is when you want to log in as admin/mod etc to the actual server, like it used to be /login PASSWORD. When I tried to login with out the globalID filled in using the "authentication" option it does the same as Phytotron, and I'm using the 0.3 alpha, so I'd say its a problem with the authentication itself not the version. It isn't a huge problem but it still seems like a bug.
You've gone too far, turn back!
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

that ip mismatch is an old server error, if the server has not set the ip correctly it results in that for all logins, but it has been fixed
epsy

Post by epsy »

Phytotron wrote:Alright, first of all, you misread. I didn't use the "say: /login ___" command. Once more, I tried using the "Authentication" under the In-Game Menu.
The same applies to this. you're using "Phytotron@forums" as local login(ie. "Phytotron@forums@") by then.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, I have more. Lately I've been getting the following message after selecting Internet Game:

Got conf message for unknown setting MESSAGE_CACHE_SIZE.

YOU PROBABLY SHOULD UPGRADE ARMAGETRON ADVANCED!!!
It will then freeze up right around receiving server number 160. I have to force quit.

Seems this only started up after I reduced CONSOLE_ROWS (which also doesn't have any apparent effect, by the way). I made it 5 and couldn't get the message to pop up, but reduced it to 3 and got it. EDIT: Nevermind, even at 5 I was receiving it. What's strange is it only started up recently. Maybe something to do with Master Server changes?

(I had tried going as low as 1, but again, doesn't seem to change anything with the number of console message lines. I'm wanting to cut down on the rows of between-round messages so I don't have to keep pressing 'page down' all the time. Chat too. Am I missing something?)

I also want to reiterate this getting kicked from the server deal. From the "victim's" point of view, the rest of the server freezes up while you're still driving around (all other cycles will continue forward until they hit a wall, then just sit there). No chat input will go through. Eventually you'll get kicked out with that message about losing the link. Usually you can just rejoin the server. (This is not the case with Gene's servers, where that IP deal occurs.)

From the perspective of the others in the server, there will be a sort of "lag bomb," with similar freezy behaviour (unless it's between rounds, in which case it's just black screen, obviously). Once it finished, you come back and one or two players will have left. Ask nemo/dlh about it—apparently the server reads them as having timed out.
Last edited by Phytotron on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:Yes, I have more. Lately I've been getting the following message after selecting Internet Game:

Got conf message for unknown setting MESSAGE_CACHE_SIZE.

YOU PROBABLY SHOULD UPGRADE ARMAGETRON ADVANCED!!!
It will then freeze up right around receiving server number 160. I have to force quit.
I get the exact same behavior with my .2.8.3 rc4 windows client. But I have found that if i just let it sit for between 2-5 minutes without force quitting, the master list appears.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ah, you're right. Impatience, I suppose. When I did wait, I then got a followup message. Here be the entirety:
ErrorMessages.png
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I occasionally get the same error message on my wife's 64-bit desktop. I would recommend closing Armagetron and reloading the game. That seems to happen to me randomly. I have noticed, by running the windows system monitor while loading Armagetron, that it may be happening to me when windows launches a task who's priority supersedes Armagetron's priority with the system. My Mac experience is way too limited to know if that could be what your Mac is doing.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm