Few problems =) Edit: just team colors and names

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Few problems =) Edit: just team colors and names

Post by Lucifer »

You're supposed to create that file.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Just a word of advice. I have found that, like the documentation on the Wiki states, you are best off putting custom configs for your server in the settings_custom.cfg, personally i use include statements only in my settings_config.cfg file. Also you should separate out your server information, server information in server_info.cfg. I only put global_id's for armathentication in my autoexec.cfg.
If you structure things this way it is much easier to share server settings with other server admins, and to incorporate other settings server admins give you.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
starrynte
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by starrynte »

You have to create settings_custom.cfg (and server_info.cfg), they aren't included
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

thank you for clarifying that starrynite.

Also, to keep things better organized, for sharing settings, etc. I create a file for the basic settings of any server I administer. For instance, my Fortress Bistro server's settings are saved in a file called fortress_bistro.cfg. The settings_config file of that server only has one line, INCLUDE fortress_bistro.cfg. One advantage of doing that, is as follows. When I demonstrate that server to people that are considering buying a gameserver with the hosting partnership between Destiny, Manta, Durka and myself, they give me the settings that they wish to use. I put those settings into an include file, for instance, demothis.cfg and then add the statement INCLUDE demothis.cfg to the settings_custom.cfg file after the other INCLUDE statement. The last INCLUDE statement in any file will be the one that the server will remember.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

For most servers, settings_custom.cfg is INCLUDED last in the list. So for hosting providers, I usually recommend they put their enforced settings after that include line. ;)

server_info.cfg is included before all the physics/game settings are initialized in settings_dedicated.cfg, so if you put physics settings in there, they will be reset. That's by design, to prevent people from putting CYCLE_RUBBER in server_info.cfg. server_info.cfg is your private stuff, like SERVER_NAME, bandwidth limits, limit_clients, etc. settings_custom.cfg is for stuff that's not private, that would be needed if someone were to setup a clone.

Since my own servers (when I ran them) used the same physics, just different game logic, I actually created a bih_physics.cfg file to put physics into, and then made separate files that had game settings in them (match_win, match_limit, etc.) and INCLUDEd bih_physics.cfg.

I would recommend that most people do the same, make settings_custom.cfg a file that only contains INCLUDE lines and put each category of setting into different files. But that's a pain if you're only going to run one server. Nevertheless, the cvs_fortress files in settings/examples show you exactly what I mean. That is ideal, of course, because people may like your physics but want to put it in, say, a CTF game instead. So you give them your physics file and they just INCLUDE it. Or you like someone's match rules (maybe 7 minute time limits) but you want your own physics.

Then, after doing the INCLUDE for each of these files, in your settings_custom.cfg, you can override any setting simply by placing it after the includes. So maybe you like Pink Tomato's physics, but you want to bump up CYCLE_RUBBER a bit. Fine, get his physics file, include it, then bump up CYCLE_RUBBER after you INCLUDE his file.

autoexec.cfg is deprecated on the server and may be removed at any time, I recommend you don't use it at all. Since we don't yet have a better idea for the client, it's not deprecated on the client, but server_info.cfg and settings_custom.cfg both *replace* autoexec.cfg. So if you're still using autoexec.cfg for anything, you need to stop. Really.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Ty for the detailed explanation, Lucifer. I will definitely move my armathentication to includes, and out of autoexec.cfg. I was planning to do that anyway.