1 vs 1 Sumo (Europe)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Flex
Round Winner

1 vs 1 Sumo (Europe)

Post by Flex »

I'm not exactly starting up a competition at this very moment, but I want to introduce everyone to the new "1 vs 1 Sumo (Europe)" server. With the services and help of Ed (eddiefantastic). We set up a 1 vs 1 Sumo server with standard settings, but slightly adjusted to better suit 1vs1's. The scoring system isn't final, so it would be nice if everyone tried it out and gave their opinions, so that we can come to a decision that pleases everybody.

It's a 5 slot server, so it can also accommodate a 2 vs 2 Sumo match, with also one spectator to watch. (We tried it, it was very fun and competitive.)

The one vs one Sumo scene in general is quite considerably dead now, with the discontinued "King of the Grid" tournament that was being run. Also when the server that was hosted/run/sponsored by the King of the Grid stopped appearing, I felt we needed at least one server to use for 1vs1's. But why stop there?

Soon maybe we can convert the server into a Fortress/Sumo 1vs1 or 2vs2 server and launch an on-going ladder system for 1vs1 and 2vs2 bracket, that ultimately leads to a championship with maybe prizes. (A more complex TST, basically.)

I personally love 1vs1's and to add to the flavour that don't, we can include 2vs2's to create some competition in this dead area of the game. So step up. I know Concord was doing some a 1vs1 Ladder. Step up!
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 1 vs 1 Sumo (Europe)

Post by owned »

Maybe you could make a 1v1 8 player sumo server? There would be 4 zones and 1v1 battles in each. (Walls could be used to divide the zones.)
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

I really like the atmosphere of the map :). I changed my wall and floor textures lately and round walls look just great. Can't say much about the settings because I only "played" with bot, but they seem to be pretty much fine.

I don't know how it worked before and why it stopped, but the 1v1 ladder idea is something that can bring some people closer to the community, so I'd give it a second try. I feel it just needs to be somehow automatized and advertized :)
Last edited by pike on Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CuRbSidE

Post by CuRbSidE »

http://playfortress.wordpress.com/

1v1 fortress competition already started by concord but theres no one server dedicated to it or anything
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Well it wouldn't be that much trouble to do a ladder type of thing, just a thread with people reporting their matches, and one person keeping the ladder up to date using some sort of system.
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

I don't prefer the challenging each other, method. That just prevents people from playing and everyone is sitting there waiting to be challenged. KotG and Concords thing right now is a good example of why it doesn't work. There needs to be a system to keep the ball moving. Such as once a match is complete, it generates a new match by itself.
owned wrote:Maybe you could make a 1v1 8 player sumo server? There would be 4 zones and 1v1 battles in each. (Walls could be used to divide the zones.)
Sounds fun. I think CTWF has a map like that. Also probably more in the category of Ed's and Kyle's work, but probably would be too much for this.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

1 vs. 1 is always great. I didn't do too hot though...
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Corn1
Core Dumper

Post by Corn1 »

owned wrote:Maybe you could make a 1v1 8 player sumo server? There would be 4 zones and 1v1 battles in each. (Walls could be used to divide the zones.)

Suggestion - After you beat your opponant, you die (without loss of points) so that you aren't stuck mazing while your other opponents duke it out and you can watch them.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Major bump.

I am interested in helping with this idea, because I like the idea of a 1v1 server.

What I am thinking is like owned's suggestion of multiple, separated 1v1 rings in a single server, and perhaps each match the players get rotated. Then, the match reporting system is automated (much like CTWF's ladder) and produces a rank for each player (with authentication required).

Apparently a similar system used to exist which was alluded to in OP but I can't find any dedicated topics to it using the forum search. But I think once every 6 months or so is far too long a gap for playing 1v1 sumo competitively, especially considering the ease with which a match can be set up.

Is this realistic?
pLxDari - Challenge us!