LADLE new rule about aliases

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

hoop
Round Winner

Re: LADLE new rule about aliases

Post by hoop »

Alien wrote: I don't understand this discussion here. A solution is very simple. Everyone who want participate in the ladle tournament has to create an account here. "Then" when this tournament starts we have to login.
yea Alien, in a perfect world that would be the simpler solution ;)
the matter is that many players, I'd say at least the half of the people in last ladle, don't have an account here, so the next ladle would be a pain since some will be too lazy, some wouldn't even know they need the account, some will have troubles understanding how the authentication works.
Your solution is gonna be possible when armathentication will become as usual as changing the cycle color, I believe
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

That sounds good sine.wav, i agree completely and appreciate your apology - equally, I apologise on behalf of my team and any poor behaviour there was, we have already sorted this out so it won't happen again.

As for new rules, lets just keep it at using the name you registered with on the wiki board. If a new player has to fill in quickly, just make sure you let the team captain of the other team know before thematch begins.

If this problem arises again, we should consider imposing harsher rules. But I think everyone's got the message, lets just keep it about the gameplay and have fun.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I always find I do better when I don't play under "Lucifer". At least, back when I was any good, that is. People know my tricks (*knew), and would be ready for them, if I used my regular name. But if I used an alias, people didn't know it was me (until I hit my "Watch out for that wall!" instant chat), and the same old tricks worked again.

For a time.

If aliases are just being used to throw off the other team, I don't see how it can be a problem. If they're disrupting the tournament itself, then it's a problem.

But really, if you don't know who you're playing against because of aliases, you need to watch how the team plays and adapt to it. You have to do that anyway, it just might take an extra round or two. If your team depends on knowing how the other team plays because of their names, then your team has a weakness that is easy to exploit. Fix that.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Also having your own team with all aliases can easily be a problem if you don't exactly remember all of them. Once during a ctf tourney, my team was named Player 1, Player 2, ect. to Player 5. I sorta forgot who was who and had to tried and tell them apart by their shade of yellow/gold. I also felt kind of weird saying "Hey you, Ugly dark yellowish person, respawn us quick!"
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Well then it's your team's fault, not the fault of the rules.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tobe wrote:I sorta forgot who was who...
LOSER! :D
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Tobe wrote:"Hey you, Ugly dark yellowish person, respawn us quick!"
lol i thought this is about fort...that's why I wouldn't feel weird because of the "ugly dark yellowish person"-thing but the second part :D (anyway, the only thing we could do in the ladle was saying "plz res us!"...)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I don't know....I really have to question if we need to rule out aliases.
Check my post on the ladle rules...if the team captain is armathenticated, then we have a verifiable identity of someone...perhaps that is enough!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:...if the team captain is armathenticated, then we have a verifiable identity of someone...perhaps that is enough!
Yes, I agree. But I think the alias issue will be one of the topics voted on for the next Ladle, so this might not even be a problem soon.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Good point sine...perhaps this thread is done 4 now!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

sinewav wrote:
Tobe wrote:I sorta forgot who was who...
LOSER! :D
/me wasn't prepared that day.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Pink Tomatoes
Average Program

Post by Pink Tomatoes »

I'm strongly for a rule banning aliases, at least at the beginning of every match, as a courtesy to our Admins.

While yes, some teams are incredibly organised and can put themselves together within 30 seconds, there are others that leave a lot to be desired.

Trying to figure out who was a spectator, in team one, or team two can be a strong task of memory, although admittedly this was more of a problem with TST, in which players do not use tags,

If we can't agree for a rule on aliases, at least can we compromise and state that you should decide your tags before the match (Which I haven't done before, whoops :)), as an admin trying to put 1/3 tagged one thing, 1/3 not yet tagged, and a 1/3 tagged as another in the two teams as quickly as possible is hampered. Alias tags should always be before the name, and you should wear them before you enter, or at least be the first/second thing you do when you get there.
epsy

Post by epsy »

Pink Tomatoes wrote:Alias tags should always be before the name
I'm gonna object to this one. Not only because I put it at the end of my nick but mainly because some tags won't allow auto-completing (for example CTxGonzap, which you can't auto-complete by typing Gon), which adds a hassle to admins and other players as well. Tags should have a proper delimiter (a space is enough) or be put at the end of your nick.
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

epsy wrote:
Pink Tomatoes wrote:Alias tags should always be before the name
I'm gonna object to this one. Not only because I put it at the end of my nick but mainly because some tags won't allow auto-completing (for example CTxGonzap, which you can't auto-complete by typing Gon), which adds a hassle to admins and other players as well. Tags should have a proper delimiter (a space is enough) or be put at the end of your nick.
I agree: tah tag should always be before the name
this:

Code: Select all

TAG name
TAG erhwejrjh
TAG longName
TAG a
is more radable than

Code: Select all

name TAG
erhwejrjh TAG
longName TAG
a TAG
epsy: just put a space as you suggest, no need to exchange the order :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I find tags completely unnecessary :) As long as the team captains lock their teams and they know who is supposed to be on their team and who isn't, there are no problems. To get a view of who is on what team, just use /teams. (Reading server logs, where you can't see player colors, does get easier with proper tags, one way or the other. But that's not something a ladle admin should need to do all that often.)